Apple begins counting down to 25 billion App Store downloads

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Apple on Friday added a counter to its website, leading up to the milestone of 25 billion downloads from the iOS App Store by offering a chance at a $10,000 gift card.

As of Friday afternoon, the countdown is at 24.29 billion but is quickly growing. The person who downloads the 25 billionth application from the App Store has a shot at a $10,000 gift card.

A year ago, Apple instituted a similar countdown to the 10 billion mark. That was also tied to a contest for a $10,000 App Store Gift Card.

The 10 billion download mark was reached on January 22 of 2011. That means that the number of downloads on the App Store have more than doubled in little over a year.

Downloads from the App Store have continued to grow at an exponential rate since the digital storefront first launched in 2008. In its first year, the App Store reached 1.5 billion downloads, but by January of 2010, total App Store downloads had topped 3 billion.

Revenue from the App Store has grown as well, as Apple revealed in January that it has paid more than $4 billion to developers. For comparison, over $1 billion was paid to developers by June of 2010.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    Back in my day when they hit a milestone, they gave away an iMac, TEN iPods (what we now know as classics) for you and your friends, AND a $10,000 gift card.

*rocking chair squeak-length pause*

Times have changed.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    There were a few apps that I was planning on downloading soon, and I'll be following that counter and I'm going to try and time my move perfectly!

I wouldn't mind 10k. I'd convert them into 20 shares of AAPL. That's what I'd do with the extra 10k. Either that, or maybe spend it on some hookers and blow. That's also a pretty good use for 10k.

edit - Oh, it's a giftcard, not even cash. Well, that kind of blows.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    Well that's it, they just hit the 25 billion mark. That was quick.

I have excellent rhythm and timing, and if I didn't win, then I was pretty damn close, because I made my move at the right spot. I just downloaded some random free app, and now I'm going to delete it.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Well that's it, they just hit the 25 billion mark. That was quick.

Eh? It's at 24,296.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Friday added a counter to its website, leading up to the milestone of 25 billion downloads from the iOS App Store by offering a chance at a $10,000 gift card.

That's close to FOUR app downloads for every man, woman and child on the Planet Earth!

Go Apple!
  • Reply 6 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Eh? It's at 24,296.

Oh, hahaha. Please excuse me. It's kind of early for me still and my brain is only functioning at a portion of it's max capacity.

You are of course correct.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    I saw the headline and for less than a second thought the grand prize would be $25B. Apple has the money for it.

Honestly, I don't think I could spend $10,000 in my lifetime on iTunes content... Maybe books.

I agree with the first post. Where's the free iPad 3 or Mac? I guess beggars can't be choosers.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    1) Just to be crystal clear an app download is defined as when an iTunes Store account holder buys an individual app. It does not count updates or when a user deletes and app and then re-downloads it from the user. It will count multiple versions of the same app if they are not Universal or if there is a free and paid version. For instance, Words with Friends and Word Free, Words with Friends HD and Word with Friends HD Free are 4 different apps.

2) According to their counter they have 3.7 million apps to go and they selling 10,000 every 15 seconds.
    702,000,000 ÷ 40,000 = 17,550 ÷ 60 = 292.50 hours = 12.19 days to go.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

Honestly, I don't think I could spend $10,000 in my lifetime on iTunes content... Maybe books.

I've never used any of their gift cards before, but can't somebody buy Apple devices with it, like their computers? If somebody gets a nice Mac Pro, that would be a pretty easy way to get rid of 10k quickly.

If it can only be spent on apps, music and movies, then that kind of sucks.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    Quote:

I've never used any of their gift cards before, but can't somebody buy Apple devices with it, like their computers? If somebody gets a nice Mac Pro, that would be a pretty easy way to get rid of 10k quickly.

If it can only be spent on apps, music and movies, then that kind of sucks.

Let's play, how would you spend $10k at the Apple Store. I would:

-Keep a few grand for the new Apple TV

-two new Macbook Airs for the wife and myself

-27" iMac for myself

-keep a little for the next iPhone

-spend the remaining on content and accessories

Edit: I was wrong, it does say App Store! (originally I thought it did in fact say Apple Store)

In that case:

-10,000 gift purchases of the best $1 fart app as a gift for everyone I know and some!
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Is the growing number on the Apple website just a fancy animation or is it live? I could certainly use the equivalent of $10,000.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Let's play, how would you spend $10k at the Apple Store. I would:

-Keep a few grand for the new Apple TV

-two new Macbook Airs for the wife and myself

-27" iMac for myself

-keep a little for the next iPhone

-spend the remaining on content and accessories

Edit, i was wrong, it does say App Store!

I was just going to respond, but I just saw your edit.

I'll play anyhow, and if I had 10k to spend and I could use it in the Apple store, then I'd simply buy 20 IPad 3's, and then keep a couple for myself and sell the rest for a profit. I don't need any Apple computers or anything else at the moment, because I have pretty much everything that I need at the moment.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

Is the growing number on the Apple website just a fancy animation or is it live? I could certainly use the equivalent of $10,000.

Just an animation. You can skip ahead to the end if you change your system clock.

It's updated to the real number? what, semi-daily? But it's almost never right.

It will often still be running for hours or even a day after the milestone has been hit.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    I bet there will be mention of this at the iPad 3 unveiling. "Just a few weeks ago, we had our 25 BILLIONTH App Store download. <show keynote slide saying "25 billion"> A user won a $10k App Store gift card as a result. Let's put this in perspective. A year ago we had 10 billion downloads and since then ....<show fancy app store download growth chart>"
  • Reply 15 of 37
    It's iTunes only so what would you spend it on? I figured I'd just set up an email account for my family and friends to submit wish lists to me and I'd given them everything they wanted. I'd never spend it all alone.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    I'd say it's counting up, not down.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Just to be crystal clear an app download is defined as when an iTunes Store account holder buys an individual app. It does not count updates or when a user deletes and app and then re-downloads it from the user. It will count multiple versions of the same app if they are not Universal or if there is a free and paid version. For instance, Words with Friends and Word Free, Words with Friends HD and Word with Friends HD Free are 4 different apps.

2) According to their counter they have 3.7 million apps to go and they selling 10,000 every 15 seconds.
    203,000,000 ÷ 40,000 = 5,075 ÷ 60 = 84.58 hours = 3.52 days to go.

I'm really confused about where you got your numbers. The counter shows 703,000,000 to go until they reach 25 billion.

That would be 12.20 days at the 40,000 per minute rate that you stated.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

I'm really confused about where you got your numbers. The counter shows 703,000,000 to go until they reach 25 billion.

That would be 12.20 days at the 40,000 per minute rate that you stated.

You're right. I calculated as 24,500,000, not 25,000,000. That's why I like to show my work.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    Quote:

I've never used any of their gift cards before, but can't somebody buy Apple devices with it, like their computers?

Nope. the gift cards that work in the iTunes 'verse only work in it, not on the actual Apple stores.

As for the whole 'this sucks'. Maybe for you. But for some 20 something year old that buys all his music off iTunes, buys tons of apps etc, this would be free stuff for a good chunk of time and he might actually think it rocks.

And consider that there's no law mandating that Apple do anything. So perhaps if their choice of gifts isn't good enough for you then they should just do nothing.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:

I was just going to respond, but I just saw your edit.

I'll play anyhow, and if I had 10k to spend and I could use it in the Apple store, then I'd simply buy 20 IPad 3's, and then keep a couple for myself and sell the rest for a profit.

And that is exactly why they aren't giving away any hardware or "money" to buy it.