Apple partner Foxconn raises Chinese worker wages as much as 25%

Comments

• Reply 41 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rednival View Post

It is about time.

Since our Congress won't do anything about the Chinese

OUR Congress won't do anything because they are the US not the Rulers of the World. Our Congress has zero power to do things in another country unless they want to declare themselves despots and take in a military force etc to enact whatever they want.

The Chinese government are the ones that would have to do anything and they aren't likely to because Foxconn hasn't been shown to violate any Chinese laws. Sucks that those laws might not be as awesome as US ones but they are the ones in play in China.
  • Reply 42 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainwashed View Post

1,800 yuan per month = 285.77 USD per month....

And what's the cost of living in China. Especially for a worker who gets room and board, uniforms etc from the employer.
  • Reply 43 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

I call that Epic Fail.

Very few might agree with you.
  • Reply 44 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Which would you rather have if Genghis Khan and his army paid a visit to the NYT office Editorial Board and gaggle of reporters, a pen or a sword? \

/

/

/

In the short run, I'd rather have M-16s and RPGs.

I'd be using them to defend the pens.
  • Reply 45 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Once again Apple changes things.

only indirectly. Foxconn can't afford to have bad press and they are getting it thanks to all the blogs etc that will post every time Tim Cook farts because it gets page hits. So that means that Foxconn is getting press and it isn't all glowing. So rather like Apple giving free bumpers to folks that simply couldn't understand that there was nothing wrong with their phones, Foxconn gives a little bump in pay to folks. And talks of certifications etc where they can get more. Plus some posh about how they respect and value their employees blah blah we aren't really bad people.

But in the end the job isn't going to get any better or less boring and the stress of having to make money to ones self and a family back out in rural wherever (the real cause of most of the suicides) won't change.
  • Reply 46 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Care to elaborate on what the Congress of the United States should do for workers in a foreign country. Maybe pass a law that says you can't buy any product from a company that does not treat it's employees really really nicely. Would that make you happy?

In the past, tariffs were used.
  • Reply 47 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beakernx01 View Post

Let's see how many of the news outlets that jumped all over Apple for practices that are the same or, more often are much worse at other manufacturers working for Dell, IBM, Acer, Toshiba, Samsung, M$, etc. rush to report this.

Other manufacturers? How about just their lines at Foxconn. People forget that Apple doesn't own, operate or have all the business at that one shop. There's like 75 companies doing business with Foxconn's China plants
  • Reply 48 of 118
    First person that complains about Apple raising prices on their products gets bitch-slapped.
  • Reply 49 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCE10 View Post

It's not even a moral issue; it's economics. We already know Foxconn is testing waters in Brazil. When the manufacturing cost rises in China, what will Foxconn do? It might as well move some of its production to Brazil, and thousands will lose jobs at the "highly paid" ShenZhen plant.

Not to mention when it turns out that Brazil has a higher minimum wage, folks will freak out over the idea that Apple might raise prices etc to make them pay for the change.

Lets wait and see what the prices actually look like before we scream about them. In the end it could turn out that Apple and the other companies are paying Foxconn more than well enough for them to flip a little more to their employees and that's why this raise actually happened at that level. Rather than Foxconn just spouting off a bunch of "this is how it really is" talk to show folks that the articles are wrong

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

First person that complains about Apple raising prices on their products gets bitch-slapped.

Oh it will happen. Folks are screaming about wanting a freaking 4k screen and 256 GB of storage in their iPads. If they get it this next go around and the prices go up $50 they will scream that it was because of these raises and not the expense of the parts.
  • Reply 50 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Oh it will happen. Folks are screaming about wanting a freaking 4k screen and 256 GB of storage in their iPads. If they get it this next go around and the prices go up $50 they will scream that it was because of these raises and not the expense of the parts.

Apple often gets mistreated.
  • Reply 51 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Just to clarify... Apple does not equal Foxconn.

Other companies also use Foxconn for manufacturing their goods. Some of which could very well make Android devices.

Tons of companies use Foxconn for manufacturing:

Acer Inc. (Taiwan)

Amazon.com (United States)

Apple Inc. (United States)

ASRock (Taiwan)

Asus (Taiwan)

Barnes & Noble (United States)

Cisco (United States)

Dell (United States)

EVGA Corporation (United States)

Hewlett-Packard (United States)

Intel (United States)

IBM (United States)

Lenovo (China)

Microsoft (United States)

MSI (Taiwan)

Motorola (United States)

Netgear (United States)

Nintendo (Japan)

Nokia (Finland)

Panasonic (Japan)

Philips (Netherlands)

Samsung (South Korea)

Sharp (Japan)

Sony Ericsson (Japan/Sweden)

Toshiba (Japan)

Vizio (United States)

AGAIN...again!
  • Reply 52 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Thank you, New York Times!

The pen is mightier than the sword.

Bullshit and lies are far more dangerous than any sword.
  • Reply 53 of 118
    So wages have gone up from $30 aweek to $65 dollars a week in 3 years.

With China in the ascendency such market led luxuries are no doubt coming our way!
  • Reply 54 of 118
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Not to mention when it turns out that Brazil has a higher minimum wage, folks will freak out over the idea that Apple might raise prices etc to make them pay for the change.

I don't think that those Brazil products have anything to do with us. If I'm not mistaken, I remember reading about how they were only to be for the local market. So I don't think we'll be using any made in Brazil Apple products.
  • Reply 55 of 118
    They'll be getting paid 0% if ProView doesn't stop acting stupid.
  • Reply 56 of 118
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainwashed View Post

1,800 yuan per month = 285.77 USD per month....

Ah yeah! I am rolling large now.

Your logic is beneath idiocy.

When I was working in the Middle-East, I was making ~$1100/month- which was considered above average pay. I was making this money while having a Master's degree, years of work experience, the ability to speak multiple languages, and being very good at what I do. This was also standard for those around me with similar credentials. What kind of lifestyle would this income afford in the US? This is poverty levels we're talking about. However, a small detail is that I WASN'T in the US. I was in a country with a vastly different cost of living and socio-economic conditions. I was getting by just fine, as had nowhere near the expenses. Truthfully, I was doing it more for the experience of working in the region. But it was an eye-opening experience in terms of the stupidity of comparing incomes between different countries. I make ~4-5X as much now, and don't particularly feel I'm leading a more luxurious lifestyle. For someone who has the cost of living of LA or NY, my income would also be considered pathetic and untenable.

So what does ~$300/month get you in China? I'm not sure, and neither are you, but I know for a fact it would get you more than where I used to work for $1100/month with professional degrees.

Please just acknowledge the stupidity of your line of reasoning and stop being so xenophobic and ignorant.
  • Reply 57 of 118
    Looks like the NYT won after all.
  • Reply 58 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Looks like the NYT won after all.

Won what?
  • Reply 59 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

stop being so xenophobic and ignorant.

Attack the proposition, and not the poster please.
  • Reply 60 of 118
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Attack the proposition, and not the poster please.

DId you even read my post? Did you somehow miss where I tore down his proposition? Oh, I'm sorry, 'stop with the xenophobic and ignorant propositions'. There's no difference.