LED maker reportedly tapped to supply chips for Apple television

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MHD View Post

Isn't Vizio an American company? I'm not aware of any Chinese makers on the market today other than Haier who's sales seem negligible.

We've got Coby and others, which started with $29.95 DVD players, and portable junk, but are now offering larger Tv's as well.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MHD View Post

As far as I knew Samsung also supplied the LED panels for Sony.

I haven't looked up who supplies the backlights, but the panels are the main thing.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can't wrap my head about the TV manufacturers's inability to make money. The demand is certainly there. What happened?

I think that very good sets can be made for very little money. And that there is little reason to pay more, for most people, because the cheap ones are plenty "good enough".

Oh. And oversupply, despite healthy demand? That often has something to do with falling prices.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Sony, Toshiba and Hitachi have just recently merged their display businesses into one new entity called Japan Display.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/15/jap...display-units/
  • Reply 25 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, a couple of companies have announced they will have an OLED model out late this year.

I'm not saying it isn't going to happen, what I'm saying is they announced the exact same thing about 27" OLED displays that ended up never materializing.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We'll see if it actually happens. But don't forget that when Pioneer first came out with the first 42" plasma, it was $20,000. And that was a fair amount of time ago, so with inflation, it would be more today. And even before that, people were buying those horrible SD rear projection consoles for $10,000.

Inflation doesn't work like that. Technology doesn't go up in price every year, it goes down. People were buying those Pioneer TVs, I have one, but Pioneer is now out of that business. What does that tell you? If you want to succeed in the TV market these days; selling a $10,000 or $20,000 TV is not the way to do it.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This kind of smells to me.

The way the story is written it seems like a leak from the chip supplier, but why would Sharp (or anybody) tell the third string supplier *what* or *who* the chips were needed for? Especially a company as secretive as Apple.

I have to agree.

and to add to your 'assumption' idea I will put in another possible

Someone leaked this 'info' themselves to get press because as we know anything that mentions Apple will get posted everywhere

Personally I think that Apple is NOT making a TV, but rather bigger and better cinema displays that will include HDMI inputs that could be used with an Apple TV, a blu-ray etc so they want them to be awesome looking. And folks are just assuming that it will be a full tv with all the tuners and such.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

..I think we will start seeing the iMac's moving to edgeless screens and eventually the MBA, MBP lines, too

Best

edgeless makes sense in a wall mounted TV - and samsung's tv's are very elegant, but i think you need some "dead space" on the side of an iMac, MBA, MBP to shield the viewer from anything behind it.

i'm holding off on purchasing a TV right now because i want an Apple interface. if nothing comes out by July i'm pulling the trigger on a 55" samsung led. our 7 year old sharp 42" just isn't cutting it in the living room anymore.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can't wrap my head about the TV manufacturers's inability to make money. The demand is certainly there. What happened?

Competition plus saturation. Only way to get customers to get a new TV is to lower price.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

edgeless makes sense in a wall mounted TV - and samsung's tv's are very elegant, but i think you need some "dead space" on the side of an iMac, MBA, MBP to shield the viewer from anything behind it.

i'm holding off on purchasing a TV right now because i want an Apple interface. if nothing comes out by July i'm pulling the trigger on a 55" samsung led. our 7 year old sharp 42" just isn't cutting it in the living room anymore.

Get a Panasonic plasma.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Inflation doesn't work like that. Technology doesn't go up in price every year, it goes down. People were buying those Pioneer TVs, I have one, but Pioneer is now out of that business. What does that tell you? If you want to succeed in the TV market these days; selling a $10,000 or $20,000 TV is not the way to do it.

Pioneer made some televisions with excellent picture quality too (obviously they had to for that price). Like I've said before, making the base hardware the differentiating factor wouldn't really do much. Apple's displays relative to the rest of the market at comparable price points have been average at best out of the box, and enough of them experience issues later on. They'd sell a few just because it's Apple, but a television would really need something that differentiates it from the rest beyond Apple marketing, and Apple does not have the experience or resources to edge everyone else out on the basis of picture quality.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

One Samsung official said earlier this week that if Apple does launch a full-fledged television set, it won't be able to compete with Samsung in terms of picture quality.

Samsung is so full of it. They are basically saying no one can make better screens.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

Hang in there, Dsarc! I've got a sneaky suspicion apple is going to come out with a 42" as the first iteration...I'm going to buy it anyway. When they come out with a larger version the 42" will end up in the "magic room!" (read: bedroom)
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:

end up in the "magic room!" (read: bedroom)

Too. Much. Information.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Too. Much. Information.

Agreed! Sorry!
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:

Agreed! Sorry!

S'allright.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    AI, It's actually "Genesis Photonics", not Genesis Photronics.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:

I'm not saying it isn't going to happen, what I'm saying is they announced the exact same thing about 27" OLED displays that ended up never materializing.

I don't remember any company ever announcing an actual product before, except for the Sony.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

Uh, you know, I actually do understand that. It wasn't the point I was making. You missed that. The point was that when these new technologies first came out, they were very expensive, and yet, there were a large enough number of people to buy them to enable the second generation to drop in price, and that iterated itself over a number of generations until they reached a final pricing.

The same thing will happen here. An 11" set wasn't big enough to be interesting, or even very useful. But a large model will be. With people paying up to $6,000 for a large plasma or high end LCd model, there will be enough to want to buy a 55" OLED model at an even higher price if it proves to be good. This is always the case.