in General Discussion edited January 2014
Going to see it tonight.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Good watch.

Moved to AO.
  • Reply 2 of 66
    I'm going to see it in about 30 minutes. So far, most reviews I've seen point to it as the first bad even-numbered Trek film. When I was a kid, I was a hard-core Trekkie, geeked out with all the tech manuals and blueprints. I didn't dress up and go to conventions, though. I was more into it for the tech.

Anyhow, the fluff that has come out in the past several years (namely Voyager, Insurrection, and Enterprise) has left me feeling that Trek has really out-lived its time.

I read the first half of the script that cisculated the internet a year and a half ago. I've heard that a few minor things have changed since then, but it's mostly the same.
  • Reply 3 of 66
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    I've read the whole script and liked it. I've heard some things have changed but, pretty much the same.

The reviews seem split down the middle. I have big hopes for this and will probably see it on Sunday.

[ 12-13-2002: Message edited by: jimmac ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 66
    Yeah im going tonight... I'm dragging my roommate with me to go see it.

I am honestly surprised at some of the reviews. Some of the negative ones are legitimate, but one(by a normal movie critic) was complaining about the firepower of one of the war birds... I'm sorry, but that just seems a little over the top for a main stream move review...

Anyway, i hope this one is good. But i bet anything is better than insurrection.
  • Reply 5 of 66
    That's funny, most of the cream of the crop reviews at rottentomatoes.com praised the film- 88% ripe. It certainly looks good...
  • Reply 6 of 66
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Brad, Enterprise isn't so bad. Well not as bad as Voyager...
  • Reply 7 of 66
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong> Voyager...</strong><hr></blockquote>

ugh...what a disgusting excuse for entertainment...
  • Reply 8 of 66
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    lol, i saw things such as "worst Star Trek movie ever".

that might be enough to make me wait until it hits the cheap theaters.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    [quote]Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce:

<strong>That's funny, most of the cream of the crop reviews at rottentomatoes.com praised the film- 88% ripe.</strong><hr></blockquote>Actually, this morning it was a bona fide "rotten" at 51%.

Anyhow, it was a great Trek movie. It still can't top the classic Khan and Undiscovered Country, but they're a different genre. It was filled with action and didn't feel rushed like First Contact did. I bet that some Trekkies will rate this as the best one with the TNG crew.

For the ubergeeks out there that read the script like me, there were only three things immediately visible that were changed. Wil Wheaton's speaking part was cut (but he's still sitting there), an atrocious communication with Janeway was added (just plain AWFUL), and B-9's name was changed to B-4. I kinda like "benign" but I guess "before" is just as well. There's probably other stuff too but all changes were minor.

No time for a lengthy critique. I got other things to do tonight.

Oh yeah, go see it!

[ 12-13-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 66
    Cool! I was referring to the Creme of the Crop reviews, who, like you, thought the movie was pretty good! I'm psyched. Seeing it tomorrow- maybe- if my girlfriend can get out of the romantic comedy mood.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    Err.... I saw it, I didn't like it. But then... I'm hard to please these days.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    rooroo Posts: 162member
    good or bad, i'm still going to go see it... tomorrow in fact, as soon as my first two finals are over with.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Well, I'm back.

I was very impressed. I think it was perhaps better than First Contact. Well, on second thought...perhaps not. I thought the action was superb....and the combat sequences were really spectacular.

The movie didn't get as in-depth as I thought it would. I thought Earth would be more directly threatened. The ramming scene was great. :eek: I could have done without some of the humor, but there a few really great moments such as the look Data gives Picard after they jump into the shuttle with the Argo. I also think the costume of the Big Bad Villan (TM) was a little stupid.

It is certainly a much darker film than any Trek. I can't see anyone calling it bad.

My overall rankings:

1. Wrath of Khan

2. Undiscovered Country

3. Nemesis/First Contact (tie)

4. Search for Spock

5. The Voyage Home

6. Generations

7. The Motion Picture

8. Insurrection

9. Final Frontier
  • Reply 14 of 66
    I would go so far as to say that it outperforms First Contact, and is just barely tied with Undiscovered Country.

I loved the scene with everyone drinking wine when Riker began talking about the whistling scene from Farpoint... Classic. And Deanna crying...

Overall, Five Stars, Excellent. I can only hope that they make another one, just the same, i hope that it is nearly this good. THey need to break the odd numbered curse...
  • Reply 15 of 66
    jdbonjdbon Posts: 109member
    I saw it today. I think the negative reviews are the result of "been there done that" syndrome. There are ten films, and five television series, books etc. Nemesis is a string film, but to say that it is completely original would be a lie. It has elemants of both Wrath of Khan, and The Underscovered Country (intentional by the writer John Logan). It has good action and special effects, and does issue interesting issues surrounding what it is to be an individual. In addition for those sho have read the script, you know that a lot of footage has been cut (something like 45 minutes). While I agree that editing is necessary in any movie, some scenes were cut that really should have been there. Without going into details, mcuh of the footage cut was character developement related. If the film had some of this footage, say 20 minutes more, it would have pushed it from good, to very good. it annoys me that moviemakers think an audience can't watch a movie over 2 hours. I consider star trek fans and sci fi people in general fairly intelligent, and able to watch and enjoy a movie longer than 120 minutes. LOTR is one example, but this movie is just way larger and has more mass appeal and potential revenues. I hope the deleted scenes will be added in a special addition when it comes to DVD (Though Stuart Baird, the director, has denied that he intends to make a Directors cut). I'm hoping that John Logan, the writer and Trek fan, will speak up and incist on his own version (the full three hours!). Well, this is from the opinion of a trek fan, so I guess my view is biased. If you are a trek fan, and/plus a Next. gen. fan, you will really like this film. For non trekkies and non sci fi people, you may get a kick out of the special effects and action, but you probably won;t feel as much towards the film beit that you don;t have a prestanding connection/history with these characters. In closing, John Logan said he wrote this film for th fans, and i thik he succeeded.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    You know, SDW, i completely agree with your listing of the Trek Movies, except for nemesis. I feel that Search for Spock is extremely under rated... I loved that movie.
  • Reply 17 of 66
    [quote]Originally posted by chweave1:

<strong>I would go so far as to say that it outperforms First Contact</strong><hr></blockquote>Yes, easily.

[quote]<strong>I can only hope that they make another one</strong><hr></blockquote>Unfortunately, this is not likely. For the past two films, Brent Spiner has been squirming and complaining. He is tired of playing Data. He's tired of Star Trek. In fact, he helped write his own death in Nemesis. If there will be another TNG film, it will be without Data. Anyway, for many months (years?) people have been saying that this is the last film with the TNG crew.
  • Reply 18 of 66
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Without going so far as ranking all 10 movies, I'd have to say that this is one of the best, and BY FAR the best with TNG crew.

It's certainly a thinker, and reminds me a good deal of Solaris (thought it wasn't nearly as boring or deep). Overall, I was quite pleased.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I thought the movie was great. Lots of little jokes only trekkies would understand. Great special effects (cloaked ship/collision), and a few interesting twists at the end (&lt;censored&gt . However, there were some simple shooting/editing problems that bugged me. In a few scenes, Picard was out-of-focus. That really sucked, and probably should have been re-shot. And some of the sound levels changed drastically, (volume and pitch). I hope they fix those on the DVD.

Summed up: It is a great movie; go se it.

PS: I would have liked to see the ship fire.
  • Reply 20 of 66
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Unfortunately, this is not likely. For the past two films, Brent Spiner has been squirming and complaining. He is tired of playing Data. He's tired of Star Trek. In fact, he helped write his own death in Nemesis. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I haven't seen it yet (still stuck studying for finals...), but I hope to god that isn't a spoiler!