ABC's 'Nightline' to air inside look at Apple production lines on Feb. 21

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Television network ABC has announced plans to broadcast a special edition of "Nightline" next week after having gained unprecedented access to document the working conditions inside factories at some of Apple's suppliers.

Anchor Bill Weir received permission from Apple to visit factories in Shenzhen, China in preparation for the report, which will air on Feb. 21 at 11:35 p.m. Eastern on the ABC network. ABC News claims that Weir is the "first journalist go inside [sic] the factories" to watch Apple products being made.

"For years, Apple and Foxconn have been synonymous with monster profits and total secrecy so it was fascinating to wander the iPhone and iPod production lines, meet the people who build them and see how they live," Weir said.

"Our cameras were rolling when thousands of hopeful applicants rushed the Foxconn gates and I spoke with dozens of line workers and a top executive about everything from hours and pay to the controversies over suicides at the plant and the infamous "jumper nets" that line the factories in Shenzhen. After this trip, I'll never see an Apple product the same way again."

Portions of the story will also be featured on other ABC News shows and platforms, including "Good Morning America," "World News with Diane Sawyer," ABCNews.com, ABC News Radio and ABC Newsone.

The "Nightline" feature follows several other high-profile reports on Apple's supply chain from The New York Times and CNN. Apple and Foxconn have come under fire after unnamed former executives and workers have leveled charges that the two companies have been aware of labor rights violations for years and have ignored them.

Foxconn made an attempt to address criticisms on Friday by announcing wage increases by as much as 25 percent.

Apple itself has also taken steps toward greater transparency and accountability of its supply chain. For the first time ever, it released a list of its suppliers as part of its annual supplier responsibility report last month. The iPad maker also announced that it was the first technology company to join the Fair Labor Association and agree to have its supply chain facilities independently assessed by the association.

The FLA began full audits of Foxconn's Apple iPad plant this week. FLA President Auret van Heerden said after his first visits to Foxconn's facilities that the operation is "first class," though he also noted "tons of issues" that need to be addressed.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    If this doesn't get the highest rating for its times lot I'll be surprised.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...ABC News claims that Weird is the "first journalist go inside [sic] the factories" to watch Apple products being made...

Indeed.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If this doesn't get the highest rating for its times lot I'll be surprised.

Interesting times to be sure!
  • Reply 4 of 65
    Gee...enough all ready....this is getting very old. They (Foxconn) will fix any issues that Apple brings up. Lets move on. Speaking of moving on, this is what I think will be announced in March

IPad 2 16GB - $299

IPad 2 32GB - $399

IPad 3 64GB - $599

IPad 3 96GB - $699

No product at $499......
  • Reply 5 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jumper View Post

Gee...enough all ready....this is getting very old. They (Foxconn) will fix any issues that Apple brings up. Lets move on. Speaking of moving on, this is what I think will be announced in March

IPad 2 16GB - $299

IPad 2 32GB - $399

IPad 3 64GB - $599

IPad 3 96GB - $699

No product at $499......

Can you justify those price points and capacities, including why there is gap in the $499 unit? And no models with cellular capabilities? Also, what updates to the iPad 3 are you expecting at those price points?
  • Reply 6 of 65
    You know, I'm getting tired of hearing about Foxconn/Apple facility problems - Apple is ONE of Foxconn's customers .. why is it only Apple being thrown into the spotlight? I'm in no way saying that things can't improve at Foxconn ... what I am saying is, why only Apple?

It honestly makes me think there is something behind this - a company or something trying to tarnish Apple's reputation or drive the stock price lower ... something.

If Apple was Foxconn's sole customer, then fine, but they aren't ... Microsoft and other PC makers are as well, and yet - not a word about them.

In my opinion, Apple has done what they can to motivate change at Foxconn. And they've stated that facilities that do not live up to their standards/expectations will have their business cut off - they've already done this with another company. What more can they really do? It really is up to Foxconn, not Apple. I think they've been more than responsible.

It's also not like Foxconn is a concentration camp - the employees do choose to work there - they are not mandated by law to work at Foxconn, they choose to. If it truly is so horrible, they could quit. Again, not saying there isn't room for improvement - there always is - but to act like it is a concentration camp is ridiculous.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timothyjay2004 View Post

You know, I'm getting tired of hearing about Foxconn/Apple facility problems - Apple is ONE of Foxconn's customers .. why is it only Apple being thrown into the spotlight? I'm in no way saying that things can't improve at Foxconn ... what I am saying is, why only Apple?

Those questions are simple. It's because Apple has the most mindshare.

Apple is also the most profitable tech company, Foxconn's largest customer, and has the highest valuation of any company in the world but that all adds to their mindshare. No one cares about some antiquated Xbox or whatever the hell Dell is doing with PCs.

On top of that the shear of Foxconn is makes it a social target. I'm sure there were suicides at companies around the world that were considerably higher per capita than at Foxconn but its magnitude makes it a magnet for news in and of itself. You attach Apple's name to it and it sells itself. The downside is that it obviously brings out the hypocritical, confused asshats.
  • Reply 8 of 65
    The media won't do any articles on the Chinese companies that produce electronics for other companies or the companies that produce other products. Annoying that only Apple gets all the coverage.

On the other hand, this may be one way that Apple can put a lot of pressure on their suppliers to shape up as the whole world will be watching, not just Apple.

Finally, it would be interesting to have the media compare the living and working conditions and suicide rates of Foxconn employees with those applicants that did not get a job producing Apple products. If there conditions are worse, the whiners would expect Apple to supplement the Chinese Social Services system.
  • Reply 9 of 65
    Im not so sure that allowing ABC access to FoxConn will not turn out to be a bad thing. We've all seen how things get edited fro news sources to really reflect what the source wants us to believe. I'm hoping that this paint Apple in a good light. The fact is that Apple cannot change the employee policies of the Chinese government. They can put pressure on FoxConn to comply.

As long as Apple continues to be so successful and innovative it continue to the company with the biggest target.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    Quote:

Those questions are simple. It's because Apple has the most mindshare.

Apple is also the most profitable tech company, Foxconn's largest customer, and has the highest valuation of any company in the world but that all adds to their mindshare. No one cares about some antiquated Xbox or whatever the hell Dell is doing with PCs.

On top of that the shear of Foxconn is makes it a social target. I'm sure there were suicides at companies around the world that were considerably higher per capita than at Foxconn but its magnitude makes it a magnet for news in and of itself. You attach Apple's name to it and it sells itself. The downside is that it obviously brings out the hypocritical, confused asshats.

Speaking of suicides... is making XBoxes or Dell computers any more mind-numbing and boring than making iPads and iPhones?

Are you more likely to commit suicide if you make iPods all day than if you were making motherboards?

Factory work is tough... no matter what you're making or who you're making it for...
  • Reply 11 of 65
    Nightline will show conditions acceptable to most, Actually things may not be as bad as stories are saying.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    Quote:

Can you justify those price points and capacities, including why there is gap in the $499 unit? And no models with cellular capabilities? Also, what updates to the iPad 3 are you expecting at those price points?

I'm starting to think that it would be easier to just have 4 models than 8 models. By now I would think that the cost of adding cellular has to be a very small amount. Why not have it on all units and let the user decide if he wants to enable it. Also if the IPad 3 has a A6 with high end graphics and lots of memory how many people will need that. We have a IPad 2 (32 GB) and its more than enough. About the $499 price point missing, no reason for that point. My personal belief is that $299 is a perfect price point for tablets. Its the chevy truck / honda point. Everyone can afford it and it meets your needs.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jumper View Post

I'm starting to think that it would be easier to just have 4 models than 8 models. By now I would think that the cost of adding cellular has to be a very small amount. Why not have it on all units and let the user decide if he wants to enable it.

Cellular and GPS is more expensive than people realize. It's a lot more than the ol' "it's 10¢ worth of silicon" argument. Besides the R&D and manufacturing costs that goes into these chips, especially for the low-power, smaller nanometer chips there is a lot of licensing, too. I believe Qualcomm and Nokia get a percentage of the wholesale cost of the device ? not the component ? which means that Apple would have to pay them for every single iPad sold, not just for the ones with the chips.

Quote:

Also if the IPad 3 has a A6 with high end graphics and lots of memory how many people will need that. We have a IPad 2 (32 GB) and its more than enough.

It's unprecedented in the old iDevices Apple sells. They have the iPhone 3GS and 4 that both only have 8GB with the iPhone 4S with 16GB minimum, and a 2 generation old iPad Touch with 8GB with the current generation iPod Touch starting at 32GB for only $100 more, not to mention all the other newer aspects.

It seems completely unlikely and makes the lineup look disjointed.

Quote:

About the $499 price point missing, no reason for that point.

$499 is the sweet spot. The 16GB WiFI-only iPad 2 could be sold at $399 but the iPad 3 would start at $499 and probably with 16GB, too. Getting double the storage -and- the HiDPI display -and- $100 less would be very bad marketing for Apple. There is simply no need as they have no competition and the price is still lower than what the competition can bring to market for a comparable machine.

Quote:

My personal belief is that $299 is a perfect price point for tablets. Its the chevy truck / honda point.

If it's a belief about tech I assume you have a reason but I can't imagine what that would be. The Kindle Fire is already $199. But... it loses money, it only has 8GB flash, it has less than the display area of the iPad, it's missing a lot of essential components the iPad has to be a full tablet, and it has a lot of very cheap components. There is simply no way Apple could make a profit on a $299 16GB WiFi-only iPad 3.

Quote:

Everyone can afford it and it meets your needs.

Fuck everyone! They can only make a limited number of units so you want to sell all the units you can at the maximum price you can to maximize profits. You go too expensive and you can't push your product and allow for a competitor to come in, but if you go too cheap then you devalue your brand.
  • Reply 14 of 65
    This is going to be non-issue. The fact that only Apple is getting the mention (and blames) just show how big Apple has become and how journalism have been always operating this way towards mainstream, popular and/or successful individual and organisations. This is media modus operandi (hyping) to generate money (and clicks).

Haters gonna hate >

• Reply 15 of 65
    Is Apple going to ban ABC from all of their press conferences too?
  • Reply 16 of 65
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

Is Apple going to ban ABC from all of their press conferences too?

If they're as one-sided, hate-filled and empty as you, very possibly.

Actually, I heard from a reliable source that Foxconn workers were killing themselves because they weren't getting the chance to work on Apple products.

I mean, who wants to make shit for Samsung, Motorola, Acer, etc....?
  • Reply 17 of 65
    a scapegoat for whatever they have to find anything wrong at apple come on media look at your government - people no jobs , using food stamps for gods sake and yet wall street and the bankers run up millions on what ? the US still is in deep trouble globally with money and prints more and more China is laughing at you all , a great show of democracy when both sides of the house fight about paying the country"s debt. That looked so bad on a global scale politically.

Have to ask what is the media's agenda. Having worked for a Chinese company , I found them not wanting to follow labour laws in this country ( NZ ) ,and left huge debts taxes and employees funds were plundered. Bankruptcy was a way of washing their hands and starting a new under some other guise. I don't see CNN beating at my door wanting to know what the experience was like.

SO give it a rest ! Media ! Look in the mirror. Stop looking at China and telling stories how about walking outside and looking at your own people and telling their stories .. of hardship.

Why not media , promote bringing the jobs back to the uS even manufacturing . A job is better than no job at all.

And remember even though the iphone - pad sells for a reasonable amount in the US it is very , very expensive in others so for instance the price we pay in NZ I would understand if made in the USA, but China when HUWAI knock off obviously a copy on android system and samsung for less than half the price . Have a look at those companies not JUST APPLE !

Wouldn"t it be nice to see on the back , Designed by Apple california USA, Made in USA .

How proud would that be ?
  • Reply 18 of 65
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    I wonder how many employees of MS or Dell or HP had committed suicide. I believe if therebiz a survey conducted it would be more than those happening at the Foxconn facility dorms.

Mind you the workers are living within its compound so easier to lump as suicide happening at Foxconn vs people who are living in their own homes.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    How about doing a story where you go inside some US factories where nobody is working?
  • Reply 20 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timothyjay2004 View Post

It honestly makes me think there is something behind this - a company or something trying to tarnish Apple's reputation or drive the stock price lower ... something.

If Apple was Foxconn's sole customer, then fine, but they aren't ... Microsoft and other PC makers are as well, and yet - not a word about them.

In my opinion, Apple has done what they can to motivate change at Foxconn. And they've stated that facilities that do not live up to their standards/expectations will have their business cut off - they've already done this with another company. What more can they really do? It really is up to Foxconn, not Apple. I think they've been more than responsible.

It's also not like Foxconn is a concentration camp - the employees do choose to work there - they are not mandated by law to work at Foxconn, they choose to. If it truly is so horrible, they could quit. Again, not saying there isn't room for improvement - there always is - but to act like it is a concentration camp is ridiculous.

What are working conditions like at ABC nightline? Are workers abused to air on time? Are working conditions adequate given the risk some are exposed to in foreign lands and traveling on dangerous planes. Some journalist are exposed to serious risks, ar they well compensated for it. Are their pension plans vested ?