Apple ends physical media OS distribution with Mountain Lion

Comments

• Reply 61 of 110
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

They can simply take the bus to the nearest Apple Store and use WiFi. Problem solved.

They can make a party out of it and go with all of their friends.

Personally I don't have an issue with internet speed, but the closest Apple Store is 2100km (as the crow flies) away from me, and 99% of that is over water, where does one find this magical bus?
  • Reply 62 of 110
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gyorpb View Post

I'm sure if Apple had offered OS X 10.2 Jaguar in a box made of actual jaguar fur, that would have appealed to some people. I'm still glad they didn't though.

Producing and distributing physical media is a resource-intensive practice. I'm glad to see Apple moving away from that.

So glad to see that your ideals of saving 10 cents worth of 1/4 ounce of plastic benefits you enough to want to completely remove the option to purchase said product for some people.

I understand your attempt at an analogy, but a box with fur and a box without fur both provide the same product with the same means of purchase and delivery, one resource-wasteful and one not so much. In that case I'd agree it's fine to say tough shit for someone who wants the furry one. That's not the case here because it's the means of purchase and delivery that are potentially being altered, with one purchase option simply disappearing. Hopefully it doesn't come down that way at the end of the day.
  • Reply 63 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And what's with this crap about "proper install media". It's amazing you guys take the time to post about what you perceive as an impenetrable problem but can't take a second to actually find a solutions.

I'm always thinking I know about macs more than normal people but you people always beat me.you Smart a$$e$ !!!

But thanks for that NetBoot install image of lion which I didn't know about and I made a USB install of it as I wanted to install lion on few machines. Now for mountain lion in future I can install in this way...
  • Reply 64 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

So glad to see that your ideals of saving 10 cents worth of 1/4 ounce of plastic benefits you enough to want to completely remove the option to purchase said product for some people.

I understand your attempt at an analogy, but a box with fur and a box without fur both provide the same product with the same means of purchase and delivery, one resource-wasteful and one not so much. In that case I'd agree it's fine to say tough shit for someone who wants the furry one. That's not the case here because it's the means of purchase and delivery that are potentially being altered, with one purchase option simply disappearing. Hopefully it doesn't come down that way at the end of the day.

Are you suggesting shipping trucks, even aeroplanes full of boxes with software DVD's is not more wasteful than offering digital downloads of said software?

I'm sure there's more to it than "10 cents worth of 1/4 ounce of plastic".

.tsooJ
  • Reply 65 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

reading the thread? It's no wonder it has taken Apple so long to start killing off optical media when it takes folks so long to grasp the fact that the disc you get is arbitrary. There isn't anything inherently special about an optical disc. It contains the same data as your own, homemade backup of the OS would.

Are you quite sure all Lion install discs are the same? Has anyone done a full bitwise comparison on two different Lion DVDs burned by two different purchasers? Or a bitwise comparison on a store-purchased thumb drive installer with one created by an online purchaser?

I suspect people have done this, I'm honestly looking for the answer. Anyone got a handy URL?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

In case anyone else here hasn't gathered that, please, stop clinging to your shiny objects and join Apple in the current century.

Sigh. You like to NOT have physical objects. Fine, I'll try not to ridicule you for that attitude. Others have very good reason to NOT want to hassle with digital distribution, but you seem to have a problem with that and think everyone should think just like you. Guess what? Everyone is not you, nor do they have the same set of needs, restrictions, lifestyle, or infrastructure. Try thinking outside your own frame of reference before making smartass comments.
  • Reply 66 of 110
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gyorpb View Post

Are you suggesting shipping trucks, even aeroplanes full of boxes with software DVD's is not more wasteful than offering digital downloads of said software?

I'm sure there's more to it than "10 cents worth of 1/4 ounce of plastic"

In the case of the thumb drive, a little, but not much. The packaging is probably worse than the product itself, but we're pretty good about recycling plastic over here.

But you only addressed my offhand comment, and not the meat. Changing payment and delivery methods to something completely different that may not be convenient or possible for some people. Having both options is great. Allowing the bulk of purchasers to use a more efficient delivery method (that still uses resources, but better), is good progress. Closing off physical purchase entirely would suck big time.
  • Reply 67 of 110
    Quote:

What I do like is the AirPlay Mirroring, which I've been wanting for a long time, although I'll need to see what the requirements are (i.e. no f.. AppleID or live connection to the net required!). I just want to play family home movies (and the occasional rip) from my laptop to the big screen. Also, better Notes/Reminders is great - but only local, not in the damn cloud. And as a shareholder I'm very happy to see the improved features for Chinese users because I think it will help sell a lot more units.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There is no requirement to use an iCloud ID!

But will AirPlay Mirroring require an AppleID, like HomeSharing? I was all excited about some of the potential there, but not going to screw around with AppleID crap.

Just found a wonderful post on Apple's support site about the pain of requiring an AppleID just to share stuff on your own network. Home Sharing could not be activated.

It's long, but worth reading/skimming the whole thing to understand how bad it can get. The part I related to the most was near the end. Made me feel a little bit warm inside to know others feel the same way:

"I just want all my apple devices and software to work together and to not have to give up my identity to you to make this happen. It's totally unfair to have to provide you with all my personal details (and my credit card) on a web site to just make a few devices work together."

Quote:

Does anyone know if there's a utility that will easily point any of these tools to a privately hosted server, rather than iCloud? Does iCloud use standard protocols, like WebDAV, etc., so someone could potentially host their own private server for syncing a couple devices?

Would still love to hear anyone's reply on this.
  • Reply 68 of 110
    Quote:

But you only addressed my offhand comment, and not the meat. Changing payment and delivery methods to something completely different that may not be convenient or possible for some people. Having both options is great. Allowing the bulk of purchasers to use a more efficient delivery method (that still uses resources, but better), is good progress. Closing off physical purchase entirely would suck big time.

I didn't address "the meat", because I don't necessarily disagree with it. I would applaud it if Apple offered a service where you showed up at a store with a USB stick and copied an OS installer onto it upon receiving payment for it.

However, I don't feel that, just because some people oppose to an online distribution model, for whatever reason, there is a great need to keep store shelves worldwide stocked with boxed copies of software.

.tsooJ
  • Reply 69 of 110
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    No physical media no buy!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Even still, there are tons and tons of material out there on downloading, burning, copy to USB, etc.. that I'm surprised people don't even take the few moments to google it and research it.

I bought a Mac not a DOS box.

It's plug 'n' play not downloading, burning, copy to USB, etc.
  • Reply 70 of 110
    Download the installer and burn to usb or dvd is the way to because Apple handicapped the store bought sticks. If you use the store bought sticks to upgrade to Lion you MUST use the stick for any reinstalls. The 'net-restore" feature does not work. Wish I would have know that before I dropped the $70.
  • Reply 71 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Very progressive. Lead the way, Apple. Just make sure Apple users can still bring their Macs to an Apple Store to download the OS if they don't have fast broadband. Though Mac Pros might be harder to lug around

Yeah and might I add that Apple Stores are not as ubiquitous as McDonalds either. Mine is 87.9 miles away from me and this is in New York!
  • Reply 72 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hummerp View Post

Download the installer and burn to usb or dvd is the way to because Apple handicapped the store bought sticks. If you use the store bought sticks to upgrade to Lion you MUST use the stick for any reinstalls. The 'net-restore" feature does not work. Wish I would have know that before I dropped the $70.

What do you mean it doesn't work? Is it just not included as part of the software on the stick? Then just download that recent firmware update and get it on your own.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smalM View Post

No physical media no buy!

I bought a Mac not a DOS box.

It's plug 'n' play not downloading, burning, copy to USB, etc.

You're a living contradiction.
  • Reply 73 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

For my own reasons, I wanted a Lion thumb drive. It wasn't available in the retail stores.... so I didn't buy. You don't always have internet access, and I think it is asenine to prevent people from purchasing physical copies.

It can work, but it really makes things unnecisarily difficult.

Digital downloads of software are the best thing since sliced bread. Where have you been for the last 5 years or so? The Mac App Store is great, as long as the program can stay within the guidelines without getting dumbed down. I had so many old update disc around I could wall paper a house. Not anymore. Digital downloads are the norm today.

I suspect you are just one of those people who hates technology change. I know the type I was one too!
  • Reply 74 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluevoid View Post

Yes, yes it is. These days, choosing to live in a god-forsaken rural hellhole with no access to the 21st century is absolutely a choice.

*myopic*
  • Reply 75 of 110
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    Apple killed the Floppy Drive and now, software distribution with a physical medium.

Soon it will kill the optical drive and platter-based hard disks.

Progress!
  • Reply 76 of 110
    Quote:

"I just want all my apple devices and software to work together and to not have to give up my identity to you to make this happen. It's totally unfair to have to provide you with all my personal details (and my credit card) on a web site to just make a few devices work together."

Would still love to hear anyone's reply on this.

I understand you're paranoid and probably in need of Prozac or something like it, but the last time I heard of or I made an AppleID, you didn't need a credit card. Just an email address that you can get free from Yahoo with no real identifying info required. So get someone you trust, if that's at all possible, to put the OS on a disc for you. End of story!!

Edit: As Tallest Skil has pointed out to me, there was a time when you did need a credit card to make an AppleID. I made another one for iCloud last month and didn't need it.
  • Reply 77 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

?but the last time I heard of or I made an AppleID, you didn't need a credit card.

This was the case for a time. Please edit the beginning of that sentence.

Quote:

So get someone you trust, if that's at all possible, to put the OS on a disc for you. End of story!!

Or he can do it himself! The Recovery Disk Assistant makes doing it a cinch.
  • Reply 78 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Personally I don't have an issue with internet speed, but the closest Apple Store is 2100km (as the crow flies) away from me, and 99% of that is over water, where does one find this magical bus?

Oh yeah, you're oddly literal about everything.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hummerp View Post

This shouldn't affect the Internet Recovery that is built into the firmware of the majority of Macs. It also won't affect those using a corporate installer built into OS X Lion Server. The only thing I recall it not doing is creating the Recovery HD partition during the installation process since you already have an external disk to the boot partition for which use for recovery. However, the Internet Recovery option will create this for you as the first step to reinstalling Lion over a network.

Q: Why did you buy the flash drive instead of just making your own physical media?
  • Reply 79 of 110
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Don't agree with Apple on this one. Really how much effort would be to make it available on disk, even if only by post. Broadband internet is nowhere near universally available around the world. I have friends who are currently working in Africa. Many of those countries have little or no broadband access outside the business district. Once again this just reinforces the belief that Apple computers are only for the rich elite of this world.
  • Reply 80 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Don't agree with Apple on this one. Really how much effort would be to make it available on disk, even if only by post.

A lot more than offering by download. Discs are dead. What good are discs when your computer won't have an optical drive in which to put them?

Quote:

?reinforces the belief that Apple computers are only for the rich elite of this world.

Hence the USB drive last time and why there'll probably be a USB drive this time.