Apple settles class-action suit over iPhone 4 antenna, offers US customers $15 or Bumper

Comments

• Reply 41 of 97
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Hmmm...

In the settlement Apple agreed they were ?misrepresenting and concealing material information in the marketing, advertising, sale, and servicing of its iPhone 4?particularly as it relates to the quality of the mobile phone antenna and reception and related software.?

Interesting turn.
  • Reply 42 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

...but since the problem doesn't actually exist....

Let me guess: you also think the moon landing was faked, and Saddam Hussein flew the airplanes into the WTC.
  • Reply 43 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Habañero View Post

Let me guess: you also think the moon landing was faked, and Saddam Hussein flew the airplanes into the WTC.

When a "problem" with a phone affects only two to three countries and only a single carrier in one of those countries, it isn't a problem with the phone.

Obligatory sentence turning the conspiracy theory belief back onto you.
  • Reply 44 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Habañero View Post

Don't be silly, everyone knows the terrorists were trained in Canada in the same location where the "moon landings" were shot.
  • Reply 45 of 97
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buckeyestar View Post

I call bs. I was able duplicate this every time just by touching one fingertip to the offending spot in the phone.

I'll up your 'BS' with tens of millions of satisfied customers.

I can make my HTC Cha Cha drop calls easily, just by cupping the base of it in my hand, it experiences far more dropped calls than my iPhone 4.
  • Reply 46 of 97
    That bumper probably costs Apple $5 or less. I am thinking of close to $1 in mass quantities. Lawyers will make more than that if the customers opt for the bumper.
  • Reply 47 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I'll up you 'BS' with tens of millions of satisfied customers.

I can make my HTC Cha Cha drop calls easily, just by cupping the base of it in my hand, it experiences far more dropped calls than my iPhone 4.

It's really a moot point since Apple agreed they were misrepresenting some of the facts (if it was evil Google it would be called lying) when they settled. The quote is in post 42.
  • Reply 48 of 97
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It's really a moot point since Apple agreed they were misrepresenting some of the facts when they settled. The quote is in post 42.

Link?
  • Reply 49 of 97
    Quote:

It's really a moot point since Apple agreed they were misrepresenting some of the facts (if it was evil Google it would be called lying) when they settled. The quote is in post 42.

This misrepresentation of fact was also stated in the keynote that Apple held to address this issue back when it was in the news.

They stated quite clearly that the algorithm used to show how many bars the phone had was horrendously flawed. And they fixed it.

That is to what they're referring.
  • Reply 50 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moooooser View Post

I'm not implying Apple did anything wrong, but as with all class action lawsuits, this settlement is BS. Either they did something wrong and should have to actually compensate the victims more than 2-3% of the (subsidized) purchase price of the defective product, or they shouldn't have to pay anything at all.

I have to agree, it is just pure logic. Then again, I'm not a lawyer.
  • Reply 51 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Link?

http://www.thetechblock.com/articles...-us-customers/
  • Reply 52 of 97
    Quote:

This misrepresentation of fact was also stated in the keynote that Apple held to address this issue back when it was in the news.

They stated quite clearly that the algorithm used to show how many bars the phone had was horrendously flawed. And they fixed it.

That is to what they're referring.

Hmmm.

Guessing or factual? I've seen no settlement claim anywhere that Apple's only misrepresentation was that. If you have another link concerning the settlement and what Apple actually agreed with perhaps you could share it?
  • Reply 53 of 97
    Quote:

Hmmm.

Guessing or factual? I've seen no settlement claim anywhere that Apple's only misrepresentation was that. If you have another link concerning the settlement and what Apple actually agreed with perhaps you could share it?

... and that would mean you have no proof that Apple was lying [or misrepresenting].

[ Not only that... we don't even know if Apple agreed with anything. To settle a claim doesn't mean that anything was admitted, it usually means that the defendant would rather settle for whatever reason, guilt not necessarily implied. Being that Apple was initially giving refunds or bumpers in the first place that would tell me that Apple had already set up a fund to cover this event, so why not just say, "Yeah, sure, whatever, we'll just extend the coverage time". ]
  • Reply 54 of 97
    Quote:

Except you won't be GETTING another one for free. You had your free ride with no real reason. That's it.

Ah, but I will!

My wife has an iPhone 4 and does not like to use a case, so I can get one for her phone and then simply "borrow" it.

Wife FTW!
  • Reply 55 of 97
    "You're holding it wrong"

i would want some free money or a new case for my phone.
  • Reply 56 of 97
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Interesting ...but at least it's over, even though it allegedly never was an issue. \

It was an ALWAYS an issue... for a limited number of people in certain situations (non-case users in weak signal areas). And a smaller issue than the ways in which the antenna is BETTER than the already-good antenna on the 3G/3GS: testing showed what I myself have found: the iPhone 4 gets a better signal in weak rural areas, despite the fact that bars drop when you hold it a certain way.

Of course, bars dropping is not the same as call dropping. That can happen too—with other phones as well—but more rarely. I myself have never seen a problem with touching the metal gap. Holding the bottom of the phone, yes... but I see that on other phones as well. I have no doubt there ARE situations in which touching the metal gap makes a difference, but I haven’t experienced them. The problem of actual dropped calls from the antenna design is nowhere near universal, as the drummed-up “scandal” would have you believe it to be. Unless you mean “universal” in the sense that any phone will sometimes do that...

In short, the iPhone 4’s reception is much better than plenty of other phones, but those ones are somehow OK... Well, a free bumper is no bad thing

And I don’t recall Apple lying about touching the gap being a potential issue in some situations... they gave a away bumpers voluntarily for that reason. That was an admission that it CAN happen.

But it’s funny... for all the vast numbers of iPhone 4 buyers on forums (where people love to complain) I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone complain about iPhone 4 dropped calls, or return one for that reason. Ever. Not even a made-up troll! All I’ve ever seen is lots of people who do NOT own an iPhone 4, indignant on our behalf. Well, thanks, but we’re fine The problems, while real, are minor and rare. I would never take back my old phone that couldn’t get a signal in places my iPhone 4 can!
  • Reply 57 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... and that would mean you have no proof that Apple was lying [or misrepresenting].

[ Not only that... we don't even know if Apple agreed with anything. To settle a claim doesn't mean that anything was admitted, it usually means that the defendant would rather settle for whatever reason, guilt not necessarily implied. Being that Apple was initially giving refunds or bumpers in the first place that would tell me that Apple had already set up a fund to cover this event, so why not just say, "Yeah, sure, whatever, we'll just extend the coverage time". ]

It was Apple's settlement that offers the proof. No one held a gun to Tim Cook's head and said agree and sign it or else. Do you or I or any other poster here know the reasons Apple agreed to admit fault? We can make guesses, but that's about it. What is known for near certain is the quote I linked earlier where Apple agreed (as part of the settlement) that they were misleading buyers of the iPhone4.

My point in posting it to begin with was one poster saying they had a problem with reception, another claiming no way. Some said it was made up and others called BS, it was real. It's all now moot as I already said since Apple admitted to not being totally honest when they claimed there was no antenna issue that was attributable to them. That's the settlement they agreed to. Pretty cut and dried and silly to argue about.

It doesn't make them evil. IMO, it was just something they were really trying carefully not to validate by admitting there might be some issues for some owners, as any company with a new high-profile product would do.
  • Reply 58 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I thought the Apple-branded bumpers retailed for $29...

They are.

However, the wholesale cost of the bumper is probably about 5-7 bucks. After all, it's just a band of plastic, rubber, with a couple of metal buttons made in China.

Apple saves more money by handing out bumpers than paying out the $15 settlement.

All in all, it's a small pittance for Apple to pay compared to the potential long-term PR damage, such as the Pentium PR disaster for Intel.
  • Reply 59 of 97
    Quote:

It was Apple's settlement that offers the proof. No one held a gun to Tim Cook's head and said agree and sign it or else. Do you or I or any other poster here know the reasons Apple agreed to admit fault? We can make guesses, but that's about it. What is known for near certain is the quote I linked earlier where Apple agreed (as part of the settlement) that they were misleading buyers of the iPhone4.

My point in posting it to begin with was one poster saying they had a problem with reception, another claiming no way. Some said it was made up and others called BS, it was real. It's all now moot as I already said since Apple admitted to not being totally honest when they claimed there was no antenna issue that was attributable to them. That's the settlement they agreed to. Pretty cut and dried and silly to argue about.

It doesn't make them evil. IMO, it was just something they were really trying carefully not to validate by admitting there might be some issues for some owners, as any company with a new high-profile product would do.

Did Cook admit fault or did he just settle? Do you know even that much.

The little section you quoted was not Apple's admission... it was in the lawsuit. If Cook said settle and forget the suit then that isn't really an admission of anything. As I said, Apple already had the remedy in place.... as a matter of fact this settlement is cheaper... no refunds are being given.
  • Reply 60 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

They are.

However, the wholesale cost of the bumper is probably about 5-7 bucks. After all, it's just a band of plastic, rubber, with a couple of metal buttons made in China.

Apple saves more money by handing out bumpers than paying out the $15 settlement.

All in all, it's a small pittance for Apple to pay compared to the potential long-term PR damage, such as the Pentium PR disaster for Intel.

Probably more like $2.