ABC's 'Nightline' to air inside look at Apple production lines on Feb. 21

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I wonder if they’ll also film the NON-Apple-related Chinese vendors, or the Xbox 360 lines at Foxconn... you know, all the electronics companies who are doing less than Apple on these matters...

I actually have met two people who won’t buy an iPhone because of Apple’s "abusive working conditions"... and instead they plann to buy some OTHER smartphone made in China, because this is only an Apple problem! Good work, “journalists.”

These same people will go buy clothes and chocolate and coffee from workers who are brutally abused... including workers in China. I hope ABC compares electronics workers in China to garment workers in China.
  • Reply 42 of 65
    Based on those preliminary comments, any bets that the media will spin this as one of "those big evil corporations" are taking advantage of workers, blah, blah, blah stories?...

Now if there are working conditions in China that are poor, then well, it would be good to have them improved, but one has to remember a number of things: 1. That's China's problem, not the US', not Apple's. 2. These workers are raking in the dough and living quite well by China standards, and 3. Foxconn is providing thousands upon thousands of jobs.

So, people need to be careful how/what they criticize.
  • Reply 43 of 65
    My brother just returned from a tour of China and describes being told how the young Chinese much prefer working in the factories to hoeing in the fields. Chinese agriculture has limited farm equipment and relies on human labor. By the age of 45, many farm workers are physically unable to work and have nothing to show for it.

In the factories, conditions are less physically demanding and extra money can be obtained by working overtime. Building electronics may not be our ideal world but others may find it a significant step up.
  • Reply 44 of 65
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post

My brother just returned from a tour of China and describes being told how the young Chinese much prefer working in the factories to hoeing in the fields..

Your brother is obviously a racist, just like me. Or maybe, he's just smart and informed, just like me.

I have made that same exact point before in previous threads about this topic, but apparently, anybody who points that out must be a racist.

Would somebody rather spend their days doing back breaking labor in some rice field or would they rather wear a funny blue hat and sit all day assembling some parts for Foxconn? The Chinese can be happy that companies like Foxconn exists, because the alternative would be a whole lot worse.
  • Reply 45 of 65
    This will hurt Apple so badly. The excellent New York Times and now ABC News. Mainstream trusted media are rallying to show how Apple generates these huge profits. Very bad year for Apple as these respected news media expose the hidden side of Apple profits.
  • Reply 46 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

This will hurt Apple so badly. The excellent New York Times and now ABC News. Mainstream trusted media are rallying to show how Apple generates these huge profits. Very bad year for Apple as these respected news media expose the hidden side of Apple profits.

• Reply 47 of 65
    Quote:

The shitty, buggy and malware infested Android which you love so much are made in the same kind of factories, yet their profits suck! That shows how clueless those manufacturers are. Android is a bottom of the barrel, budget OS for people who are totally clueless about technology. Android is also for uncreative and unartistic people, as those sort of apps do not even work on Android, such as music apps.

When I was riding the subway a few days ago, and when people entered the subway car, I could accurately guess what kind of phone they would pull out of their pockets, even before they sat down and actually pulled out their phones. I was correct more often than not.

There was this one trashy looking chick that sat down next to me, and she looked kind of poor, like she was working at some minimum wage job. Guess what phone she pulled out of her purse to play with? Yep, if you guessed an Android phone, then you would be correct!

There was this other chick, who was nicely dressed and who looked like she had a decent job. She was kind of hot actually, and she was wearing some sort of business suit. When she sat down, guess what kind of phone she pulled out! Yep, a white iPhone 4S!

Android is for losers and people who are not technically inclined.
  • Reply 48 of 65
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

I hate to reply to you but ... you are assuming the ABC report will show Apple in a bad light. It may, I honestly don't know but do you know this for a fact?
  • Reply 49 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I hate to reply to you but ... you are assuming the ABC report will show Apple in a bad light. It may, I honestly don't know but do you know this for a fact?

They don't know shit. How can you even think for a second that they know what they are talking about?

Apple approved and granted access to the ABC team. It is very possible that the story will show Apple in a positive light.
  • Reply 50 of 65
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I don't think it will matter what the tone of the report is. We live in an era of evidence free opinions substituting for knowledge. When you see proof that counters your pre-existing notions you simply discount it as being biased, paid for, part of some nebulous conspiracy, or all 3.

The "liberals" were posited to be doing all the "whining" about Chinese working conditions; if the ABC news report finds the working conditions to be horrible that will be chalked up to the "liberal media", and if they find conditions to be surprisingly OK that will be chalked up to the "corporate media" which will be seen as making common cause with fellow sinner Apple, and all of them probably in thrall to Goldman Sachs or something.

Evidence is no longer evidence. No one trusts anything but their prejudices, it's just assumed that a contrary narrative has been edited and faked and distorted to support "the other side."

We're doomed as a people, is what I'm saying, since without consensual reality it is impossible to even agree on what the problems are, much less solve them.
  • Reply 51 of 65
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Here's the rub. Even if ABC reports favourably while being objective the goal posts will move so the argument is now about the conspiracy that ABC is owned by Disney and JObs was the largest Disney shareholder. There is no way Apple can win in the minds of the mindless.
  • Reply 52 of 65
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

"After this trip, I'll never see an Apple product the same way again."

I smell a gigantic smear piece coming. Name a single network investigative program that ever concluded that the object of its investigation was NOT an evil entity worthy of destruction. You can't can you.

I have a very real, honest question about this quote that I hope someone can answer in a rational way, because it's making my head explode.

Bill Weir is a 44 year old man, and a 'journalist' to boot, which I jope means he has at least fundamental knowledge and understanding of basic issues. So my question is, how exactly did he 'see' Apple products until now? Was he completely unaware they were manufactured in China? Where did he assume they were made? In magical unicorn factories? Was he not aware that Apple products are produced in the same general way that all other electronics devices from every other company are produced? And if not, why would his view only change exclusively to Apple products?

This strikes me as a quote from someone who is lying and being disingenuous about his feelings so as to be sensational. I have a very hard time believing a 44 year old journalist was ignorant of the fact that shit is made in China, and if he was, then that makes me shudder. We've already established that Apple products are not made in WORSE conditions than anything else, so I'm utterly dumfounded at his statement and hope someone can shed some light on his psychology.
  • Reply 53 of 65
    Quote:

As opposed to how everything other tech company in the world produces profits, by using magical unicorn factories right? Please explain to us how any Apple competitors produce their products and make profit- I'm dying to know. Apple generates huge profits because they SELL exponentially more than anyone else, not because their products are made under different conditions than anyone else. But of course you already knew that.

How the fuck is this guy not banned? As a sick joke by mods? Why can't there be one place on the internet where intelligent discussion can be had without unending troll-drivel like this? It just sucks all possibility of real, insightful discussion and makes threads go down the shitter. Again- a question to mods- why is this acceptable, especially from such a poster who has proven time and time again his childish agenda?
  • Reply 54 of 65
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

How the fuck is this guy not banned?

Probably for the same reason an adult can't pee themselves in public without becoming a social pariah but if a baby does it you don't think twice about it.
  • Reply 55 of 65
    Quote:

How the fuck is this guy not banned? As a sick joke by mods? Why can't there be one place on the internet where intelligent discussion can be had without unending troll-drivel like this? It just sucks all possibility of real, insightful discussion and makes threads go down the shitter. Again- a question to mods- why is this acceptable, especially from such a poster who has proven time and time again his childish agenda?

Because he's not being insulting.

Also, it's not my call.
  • Reply 56 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because he's not being insulting.

Also, it's not my call.

So 327 posts of consistent, chronic, pure trolling is not a bannable offense? When every single one of those is inflammatory, extraneous, disingenuous, and with the primary intent to provoke? When not a single post is made to even acknowledge dozens and dozens of times when he's been called out on using false facts to incite, and when he's been proven to be spectacularly wrong? When he doesn't have a SINGLE non-negative post about Apple or their products, on an Apple fansite forum? When every SINGLE one of this posts is pure vilification of the company that this site exclusively reports on? When he has expressed extremely disdain and hate towards every SINGLE product and decision this company makes, and sheer giddiness and celebration at every perceived failure of this company? When he consistently calls everyone on this board a fanatic, a worshipper, cultist, sheeple, etc. When his intentions for posting here is blatantly transparent to anyone with a single digit IQ, which is hatred and mockery?

And this is somehow completely acceptable, because it's not 'insulting'? I mean, really? How can you type that with a straight face?
  • Reply 57 of 65
    Quote:

Why can't there be one place on the internet where intelligent discussion can be had without unending troll-drivel like this?

If you are so opposed to this place, you have plenty of alternatives.

Start your own damn forum.
  • Reply 58 of 65
    Quote:

Based on New York Times piece, ABC will follow the same theme. These two are not just your blogging sites or fanboy sites. These are two very respected news media outlets. Whatever they report will be taken with all seriousness by the public.
  • Reply 59 of 65
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:

I have a very real, honest question about this quote that I hope someone can answer in a rational way, because it's making my head explode.

Bill Weir is a 44 year old man, and a 'journalist' to boot, which I jope means he has at least fundamental knowledge and understanding of basic issues. So my question is, how exactly did he 'see' Apple products until now? Was he completely unaware they were manufactured in China? Where did he assume they were made? In magical unicorn factories? Was he not aware that Apple products are produced in the same general way that all other electronics devices from every other company are produced? And if not, why would his view only change exclusively to Apple products?

This strikes me as a quote from someone who is lying and being disingenuous about his feelings so as to be sensational. I have a very hard time believing a 44 year old journalist was ignorant of the fact that shit is made in China, and if he was, then that makes me shudder. We've already established that Apple products are not made in WORSE conditions than anything else, so I'm utterly dumfounded at his statement and hope someone can shed some light on his psychology.

I think you answered your own question in the first sentence of the third paragraph...
  • Reply 60 of 65
    Quote:

Based on New York Times piece, ABC will follow the same theme. These two are not just your blogging sites or fanboy sites. These are two very respected news media outlets. Whatever they report will be taken with all seriousness by the public.

You've convinced me, and I'm appalled at the conditions in which iPhones are made, and am looking for my next phone to be android based because of this, which is obviously made in better conditions. What would you recommend? I'll wait for a response.

EDIT: Guess I won't.