Apple issues statement on iPhone 4 'antenna-gate' lawsuit settlement

Comments

• Reply 21 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

NO ONE is actively complaining about it

I'll happily complain about it as I said - my iPhone 4 is useless without a case; dies instantly. With regards to returning a product, in NZ it's a nightmare as we don't have proper Apple stores. If we want to return something, we basically end up sending it to the US and are therefore without a phone for 6 weeks.
  • Reply 22 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You can't trust what Anandtech says about iPhone4 reception compared to others. Everyone knows they don't like Apple and diss their products whenever they have a chance to.

/s

Right, they produce a quite decent size list of late model phones with scientific proof of reception levels but you can't trust that because they "diss" Apple. lol ok, good logic.
  • Reply 23 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamesmcd View Post

I'll happily complain about it as I said - my iPhone 4 is useless without a case; dies instantly. With regards to returning a product, in NZ it's a nightmare as we don't have proper Apple stores. If we want to return something, we basically end up sending it to the US and are therefore without a phone for 6 weeks.

Dont worry about TS, he thinks he speaks for all Apple users.
  • Reply 24 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

LOL now you're blaming it on the networks....maybe your next excuse will be ultraviolet rays from the sun are targeting only the iPhone 4 so that cant be Apple's fault either.

So where are all the complaints from Verizon and Sprint iPhone 4 users? Where are the complaints from users in European cities?

Or maybe, just MAYBE, there's no problem.
  • Reply 25 of 120
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:

We're not going over this again. When tens of millions of phones are still sold today with absolutely no design change . . .

IFixIt suggested that Apple began adding a non-conductive layer to the metal band sometime soon after the first antenna problem reports surfaced, which would help explain the derth of overseas antenna complaints.

EDIT: Just noticed that you threw the Verizon iPhone in there as evidence there was never a reception problem. I'm very sure you already knew the antenna issues that were reported early on applied to only the GSM/UMTS iPhone4, which is not the re-engineered Verizon phone, and particularly not Sprint's version built months after ATT began selling them.
  • Reply 26 of 120
    Quote:

So where are all the complaints from Verizon and Sprint iPhone 4 users? Where are the complaints from users in European cities?

Not Europe but Telstra, who is Australia's biggest network with the best coverage, gave the iPhone 4s a "blue tick" meaning good coverage in areas with low reception but the iPhone does not. In fact when the iPhone 4 was released they did give it a blue tick but only when a case was used.

By the way, Telstra craps all over AT&T and any other American network. This comes from a Ex-pat yank living here too.

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-pho...phones/iphone/ scroll down the bottom.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...reception.html
  • Reply 27 of 120
    Quote:

EDIT: Just noticed that you threw the Verizon iPhone in there as evidence there was never a reception problem. I'm very sure you already knew the antenna issues that were reported early on applied to only the GSM/UMTS iPhone4, which is not the re-engineered Verizon phone, and particularly not Sprint's version built months after ATT began selling them.

Of course he knew but why let the facts get in the way of good spin.
  • Reply 28 of 120
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Not Europe but Telstra, who is Australia's biggest network with the best coverage, gave the iPhone 4s a "blue tick" meaning good coverage in areas with low reception but the iPhone does not. In fact when the iPhone 4 was released they did give it a blue tick but only when a case was used.

By the way, Telstra craps all over AT&T and any other American network. This comes from a Ex-pat yank living here too.

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-pho...phones/iphone/ scroll down the bottom.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...reception.html

So what it is? Are all iPhone 4s not Verizon's network faulty or did they secretly put some magical forcefield over the metal?

And what happened to the argument that external antenna was clearly a stupid idea that would require all iPhones to be recalled the entire design scraped for one with an internal antenna? Call me crazy but the iPhone 4S appears to use an external antenna. The argument that they improved on the design is moot as that is like saying that all previous model CPUs are defective because the next iteration has been improved.
  • Reply 29 of 120
    Quote:

"We offered customers a free case to solve a problem that didn't exist. They wouldn't shut up, so after a year and a half of wasting our time and theirs, we're giving them the same offer again."

They had their chance. They shouldn't be given squat.

That pretty much sums it up right there... I 100% agree.
  • Reply 30 of 120
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It was a bad design for those who use no case, but most people do and the 4S even fixed the issue for those that don't. Steve was arrogant about it though, which rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, even John Gruber.

BS. In my family, we have two Nexus phones (different models). One belongs to my step brother, the other my step father. I am using the iPhone 4 (one shipped within the first two weeks of production). Both the Google phones experience the same issue if held a certain way. I have an old Motorola phone where the instruction book even tells you if you hold the phone a certain way it will experience signal loss. The only difference with the iPhone is it was easier to find the exact area to touch. Some might say that is a design feature because on the iPhone it isn't a mystery about the area you should avoid touching.

The iPhone 4S might have a different design, but that doesn't mean the original was defective. The iPhone 4S was redesigned to accommodate adding CDMA support.

Most importantly, Apple extended the time people could return the phone for a full refund if unhappy. Interestingly enough not many people elected that option.

This song pretty much sums it all up for me.
  • Reply 31 of 120
    Quote:

Of course he knew but why let the facts get in the way of good spin.

Again, so explain why this problem isn't still happening when absolutely no change has been made to the iPhone 4 since its original launch.
  • Reply 32 of 120
    Quote:

Again, so explain why this problem isn't still happening when absolutely no change has been made to the iPhone 4 since its original launch.

How do you know "absolutely no change was made"?
  • Reply 33 of 120
    I would personally prefer that this level of attention be given to the battery life issue instead.
  • Reply 34 of 120
    Quote:

How do you know "absolutely no change was made"?

You don't imagine iFixit would have said something?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beegmuddahfocker View Post

I would personally prefer that this level of attention be given to the battery life issue instead.

Indeed. 5.1 can't come soon enough, but the battery issue isn't lawsuit-worthy by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Reply 35 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beegmuddahfocker View Post

They'll figure that one out in due time. It's a harder issue to nail down as to the cause, and another one that not everyone is experiencing. Even a proposed "fix" in an update reportedly caused some users to see the problem when they didn't originally, while some others saw improvement. It's a strange one.
  • Reply 36 of 120
    Quote:

You don't imagine iFixit would have said something?

http://www.ifixit.com/blog/2010/07/1...antenna-issue/

EDIT: Sorry TS, I've had some 'Oh..." moments today too.
  • Reply 37 of 120
    To me things are just unbelievable.

My world of logic allow only two possibilities.

1- Apple lied and sold, knowingly, a machine that actually did not work properly. Apple should pay the price, and that should mean "enough money that Apple never does that again". In the case of Apple, I'd advise a 60 billion fine.

2- Apple did not lie. Apple did the right thing all along (either by reacting to a slight problem for a small number of people, that can be solved by replacement of the handset or use of free bumper, either because the problem doesn't exist). Apple should brush off any idiot, an the lawyers should go broke.

In WHICH UNBELIEVABLE WORLD do we have either a company encouraged to cheat and steal, either a band of scumbag lawyers encouraged to cheat and steal?

------

Note that the problem exists, my iPhone 4 had it, but it's not relevant to the logic here.
  • Reply 38 of 120
    I haven't used a case on my phone since I got it, this hasn't been a problem for me. If it was for anyone else, I can't say but most people I know don't even use a case on their GSM iPhone 4.

From what I remember, the Verizon CDMA iPhone 4 had the same behavior even with an altered antenna.
  • Reply 39 of 120
    Quote:

Hello Tallest Skil! Paris and Amsterdam calling

My iPhone 4 was one of the first to reach European stores, so I'd expect it's related. I experienced the issue on Vodaphone NL (Netherlands) and Bouygues Telecom (France).

To be honest, I find quite irritating that people STILL refuse to acknowledge the problem. It's not world-breaking, it is solved with a (ugly) bumper, but Apple should have said "we made a mistake, you can return your phone if you want, or choose to keep it with a bumper". They said "we made no mistake, but due to the bad press, you can return your phone if you want, or choose to keep it with a bumper".

I liked my iPhone 4. I'll get an iPad 3 if it has "retina"-like resolution, as it seems it will be the case. I do iPhone apps for a living, I've got iMac and MBA, my family got Macs due to me. I love Siri.

I still think Steve Jobs was a jerk for basically saying I'm a liar. I still think you are irritating for doubting some users were affected, as your phrase ironically suggests.

Here's my complaint from European cities.
  • Reply 40 of 120
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

http://www.ifixit.com/blog/2010/07/1...antenna-issue/

EDIT: Sorry TS, I've had some 'Oh..." moments today too.

But that article was entirely about the theory that they had added an insulating layer to the antenna bands, which they hadn't. Did I misunderstand where you were going with that?