'A5X' CPU featured on purported Apple 'iPad 3' logic board

Comments

• Reply 61 of 146
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Really? I must be special then cause I can have many tabs open all with complex pages and it all goes nicely. Unless... the Internet is made up of varying connection speeds, with varying connection speeds to the websites I am on and a varying number of people accessing those websites.

In which case, as with every device I have the performance can suffer.

The worst thing is the order of downloading and rendering elements on a page which can cause delays, stalls and jumpy pages. This isn't ram related either

But sure, knock yourself out, surf the web on 32gig of memory if you think it solves the underlying issues.

If you think you can have the GPU need 4x as much RAM for itself and still not affect the RAM for the system then make a case that 512MB will be enough.
  • Reply 62 of 146
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

2S.

No retina screen.

No quad core.

What price? $399 ??
  • Reply 63 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toruk View Post

No one has mentioned that the Apple A4 chip is code named S5L8930X and that the Apple A5 chip is code named S5L8940X. Therefore, logic suggests that the chip to be featured in the iPad 3 will be code named S5L8950X which suggests that the Apple A5X chip, code named S5L8945X, is a prototype.

Either way, if coding found in the iOS 5.1 beta is to be believed, the Apple A5X is reportedly a quad-core chip.

Actually I have pointed out model numbers before. Twice now. And what I said then is even more true now. I also disagree with you. When the original report said the iPad 3 will be S5L8945X I said it sounds more like a reworked / enhanced A5 rather than a new generation A6 which should be the S5L8950X.

It still could be a quad-core Cortex A9 though if Apple's thinking is the 40X series is Cortex A9 based and the next 50X series next year will be Cortex A15 based.
  • Reply 64 of 146
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Don't get hung up on nomenclature. It's what it can do that's important.

Just like the folks that complained about the 4s not being the 5, even though it was totally re-designed on the inside.
  • Reply 65 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ninadpchaudhari View Post

It is really driving me crazy

waiting for the IPad 3 ......

or wait IPad2S !

Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

2S.

No retina screen.

No quad core.

iPad³

• Reply 66 of 146
    Quote:

1) It looks legit, even if just a prototype, but we haven't seen a metal heatsink over the CPU PoP before.

2) The 'X' does make some sense. There is a tricky release for ARM chips over the next year. Right now quad-core Cortex-A9s are ramping up but by the time the next iPhone is out dual-core Cortex-A15 will be ramping up with quad-core Cortex-A15s supposedly coming about this time next year right in time for the iPad 4. All that makes me think this 'X" means that this will be an A5 with 2x in the number of CPU cores, number of GPU cores and amount of RAM. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the iPad 4 comes with an A6X still using a quad-core GPU and having 1GB RAM so this X would really either be for the CPU cores doubling or just a way for Apple to separate the iPad and iPhone A-chips.

I think the A15 will probably be implemented by Apple end of 2012 to mid 2013 as ARM's big.Little, that is, dualcore A7 paired with dualcore A15. A pure dualcore A15 consumes relatively large amounts of power. I think Apple will invest more in the GPU side of things, while keeping ARM dualcore A9. Alongside their custom designs, I think the A5X is a beefy GPU, tweaked dualcore A9, and 768MB of RAM, possibly 1GB. Yes, for that huge resolution 1GB of total RAM is ideal, but you could get by on 768MB. It depends on the Quartz implementation in driving that resolution.
  • Reply 67 of 146
    [insult removed]
  • Reply 68 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

iPad³

At least they didn't call it the A5S
  • Reply 69 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I matters to me. When you're on iOS 7 it will matter. It matters.

But as I sold my iPad 2 so I have no choice, but I won't say I'm not : ( when I am. Hope it's quad core.

Are you seriously saying you won't have sold your iPad 3 by the time iOS 7 rolls around?
  • Reply 70 of 146
    Quote:

If you think you can have the GPU need 4x as much RAM for itself and still not affect the RAM for the system then make a case that 512MB will be enough.

AFAIK, GPU RAM requirements don't scale like you mention... 4x the pixels does not mean 4x the RAM required.

Let's take the framebuffer itself. In theory, even a 8MB video card can handle 1920x1080 at 32bit colour: http://superuser.com/questions/25693...m-requirements

So, why do we need 256MB video cards? Well, because of how 3D is implemented by GPUs ~ this was a hot topic back when beyond-720p resolutions started to be supported by PCs.

For example, in Oblivion, at 0xAA, even at 1600x1200, only just over 200MB VRAM was being used. And, at 640x480, ~almost~ 200MB VRAM was still being used. Memory requirements jump when implementing 2xAA and 4xAA, but not in any linear fashion:

http://www.yougamers.com/articles/13...ly_need-page3/
  • Reply 71 of 146
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Are you seriously saying you won't have sold your iPad 3 by the time iOS 7 rolls around?

Of course, I lie to myself a lot.
  • Reply 72 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Alongside their custom designs, I think the A5X is a beefy GPU, tweaked dualcore A9, and 768MB of RAM, possibly 1GB. Yes, for that huge resolution 1GB of total RAM is ideal, but you could get by on 768MB. It depends on the Quartz implementation in driving that resolution.

1) I could see it being dual-core but I'm leaning toward quad-core.

2) I didn't mean to imply that 1GB was the minimum amount of RAM, but that more than 512MB is need and that 1GB would be the next step for what I think is dual-channel LP-DDR2.

3) You clearly understand the working of RAM and GPU better than me so do you think that 1GB is the most likely scenario or just ideal?
  • Reply 73 of 146
    Additionally, since regular RAM not dedicated VRAM is being used, 4x or even 2x the RAM does not translate directly to better performance, since regular RAM is far slower than VRAM. Again, it depends on the Quartz implementation...

"Three big rendering technologies have become standard in the past few years and they place huge demands on the RAM: normal mapping, anti-aliasing and post-processing. "

http://www.yougamers.com/articles/13...ly_need-page2/

Note that for 2D Retina, normal mapping, anti-aliasing and post-processing won't be used heavily.
  • Reply 74 of 146
    You people think that iPhone 5 will have Dual Core or Quad?? that should answer your question, by the time iPhone 5 comes out everyone will be using Quad I don't think apple will want to stay behind regardless if its a better A5 chip when you say Quad vs Dual core everone automatically thinks better, would not help apple against adroid people comparing there android phone with Quad core vs Dual
  • Reply 75 of 146
    Quote:

...I didn't mean to imply that 1GB was the minimum amount of RAM, but that more than 512MB is need and that 1GB would be the next step for what I think is dual-channel LP-DDR2.

Yeah, fair enough, 1GB sounds like the sweet spot. Has anyone decoded those Hynix module serials/etc?
  • Reply 76 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apple702 View Post

You people think that iPhone 5 will have Dual Core or Quad?? that should answer your question, by the time iPhone 5 comes out everyone will be using Quad I don't think apple will want to stay behind regardless if its a better A5 chip when you say Quad vs Dual core everone automatically thinks better, would not help apple against adroid people comparing there android phone with Quad core vs Dual

But that's not how Apple rolls. What advantage could a quad iPhone 5 offer over dual ARM with a great GPU?

Intel's solution for a decade was just throwing more CPU at a problem until it went away. We now know, that's not the only way to go. How is an iPhone 4 able to render Flash-equivalent graphics at a miniscule fraction of Flash taking 100% CPU of a Core 2 Duo? Because pure CPU grunt isn't everything.
  • Reply 77 of 146
    Quote:

?by the time iPhone 5 comes out everyone will be using Quad I don't think apple will want to stay behind?

Apple couldn't care less.

Right now, a 2.5 year old iPhone with an 800MHz processor DOWNCLOCKED to 600MHz sells better than ANY brand new phone from ANY other company. Even the ones with dual core 1.2GHz chips.

No one cares about that stuff. Least of all Apple.

Quad core phone. That'll be the day. You'll see some this year, sure. Android has to pretend to compete in some way. All they ever do is specs for no reason.

They'll release 1.5GHz quad core phones. And they'll get 3 hours of battery life and be too hot to use safely. You'll see people complain about their screens having a square discoloration from the heat these things put off. The phones will ruin themselves and you won't hear a peep from the anti-Apple brigade here. They'll just pay attention to "real" problems, like the iPhone 4's antenna.
  • Reply 78 of 146
    [insult removed]
  • Reply 79 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

But that's not how Apple rolls. What advantage could a quad iPhone 5 offer over dual ARM with a great GPU?

Intel's solution for a decade was just throwing more CPU at a problem until it went away. We now know, that's not the only way to go. How is an iPhone 4 able to render Flash-equivalent graphics at a miniscule fraction of Flash taking 100% CPU of a Core 2 Duo? Because pure CPU grunt isn't everything.

I understand what your saying I just dont see apple going that route, can you imagine Iphone 4s or Ipad 2 with an improve CPU instead they whent Dual core its what everyone else were going to Dual core same situation everone going Quad core can't picture Iphone 5 with Dual core honestly stop and think iphone 5 comes out late in the year by then everyone will be Quad core for sure. Can you imagine lets say your right ipad3/iphone5 with improve Dual Core? All the will do is fall a year behind everyone else if they go by those standards
  • Reply 80 of 146
    Quote:

I understand what your saying I just dont see apple going that route, can you imagine Iphone 4s or Ipad 2 with an improve CPU instead they whent Dual core its what everyone else were going to Dual core same situation everone going Quad core can't picture Iphone 5 with Dual core honestly stop and think iphone 5 comes out late in the year by then everyone will be Quad core for sure. Can you imagine lets say your right ipad3/iphone5 with improve Dual Core? All the will do is fall a year behind everyone else if they go by those standards

Actually they won't. For this year's holiday season dual-core Cortex-A15 smartphones will be the best option fpr CPU performance.