Apple's 'iPad 3' rumored to have Siri, dual-core A5X chip, 1080p camera

Comments

• Reply 61 of 111
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I know two things for sure.

(1) The iPad 3 is going to be pretty awesome. These features listed in the article are the same as I made in my predictions some days ago in another thread.

(2) No matter what new features the iPad 3 has, somebody somewhere is going to be a whiner and whine about something. People have been whining and crying about a retina display for years now. Of course, now that the iPad will finally get a retina display, I suppose that people must choose something else to whine about. Like I said in the other thread, I'd even take a mono-core Apple tablet (one core!) over a piece of shit quad core Android tablet.

Are people totally clueless or are some people just not too bright? Don't you all remember how the new Android tablets were going to blow away the iPad? Many had been released with specs higher than the iPad 1/2, yet they all sucked!

Of course people want the best possible tech in their tablet, but going by numbers alone is for retarded people and numbskulls. A good example is the RAM. Almost every Android tablet competing with the iPad 2 had double the amount of RAM compared to the iPad 2. But yet the iPad2 blew them all out of the water!

So if you are a clueless spechead and a potential Fandroid, then you really need to be looking into an Android tablet soon. You can boast about the specs which are listed on paper, but your tablet will still look and run like complete garbage! Nobody on this forum recommends people to buy Android as much as I do. I should be getting a commission from Google for all of my recommendations.
  • Reply 62 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

mounting evidence that Apple's next iPad will include a high-resolution Retina Display. The screen is expected to double the resolution of the current 1,024-by-768-pixel iPad to 2,047-by-1,536 pixels.

Forgetting the typo, this puts FOUR times as many pixels on the screen...
  • Reply 63 of 111
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    If the look of the iPad 3 is largely unchanged from the iPad 2, I hope people in this forum don't scream and cry like they did about the iPhone 4S looking like the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 64 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

A little disappointed in the dual core processer, when Android tabs are starting to ship with Tegra 3 quad core processors.

Fully understand the feeling but don't forget those tablet manufacturers just mix and match these chips quickly and roll them into market. Once they released the product and sold , they don't even bother to update the customer with the update & fixes. Given this type of attitude, So how much effort will they put to optimize a quadcore cpu to with the OS..after all the cpu is not theirs, the os is not theirs. But mainly markets better with some improvement in performance.

for apple it is tightly integrated , the SOC is custom tailored for ios and ios is written to run very efficiently on the hardware. There are months of effort to squeeze the performance out from this integration before the product is released.
  • Reply 65 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mscohen View Post

Ugh? you aren't wrong. The article is also not wrong.
  • Reply 66 of 111
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If it increased performance per watt then they would just dual-core A15 will increase performance per watt over quad-core A9. Blindly thinking more cores always means better is simple innaccurate.

For example there is a good likely hood that Apple will add more cores to the GPU, especially if retina is real. Apple will likely address performance but where it is needed most.

Now the problem is Apple will want to be able to sell iPad 3 based upon CPU performance also. The thing here is that they will likely be able to double the performance of the Cortex A9 cores so who will argue with that. A15 isn't needed and frankly would be a step backwards. The thing is if you double the performance of those cores all apps are impacted, if you go quad core only a select few apps will be impacted. All apps can benefit from a bit of parallel processing but not all of them can leverage 4 or more processors. More cores are sometimes better but not always, you can't dismiss out of hand that 4 cores might be better for some uses.

So from what I've been seeing in the literature it should be easy for Apple to push Cortex A9 to greater than 1.6 GHz with an aggressive process shrink. This will allow them to advertise 2X faster without embarrassment. Frankly that is all they need because the only thing they will compete against is iPad2. Being able to say 2X faster is compelling because on average people are happy with iPad 2 performance.
  • Reply 67 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

A little disappointed in the dual core processer, when Android tabs are starting to ship with Tegra 3 quad core processors.

What were planning to use the other two cores for? "Stuff?" Impressing your friends with specs?
  • Reply 68 of 111
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

H264, 1080p, 29.97 FPS, 1920x1080, 12 minutes = 8.67 GB

Calculator

That's just too high. I have a full 1080p movie (2 hrs.) at just that big. If that is the case, you'll never be able to fit in a full movie in Blu-Ray (50 Gb.) (Oh yes, I know Blu-Ray is 24 fps but still..).
  • Reply 69 of 111
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I think that is using the wrong profile. Accoring to AnandTech's testing of the 4S it's 180MB/s so just over 2GB for 12 minutes.

So the original poster was correct about being a quarter of the storage available on a 16 GB iPad, which leads to the question of : Do you think there will be a 16 GB iPad 3? Probably not.
  • Reply 70 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

So the original poster was correct about being a quarter of the storage available on a 16 GB iPad, which leads to the question of : Do you think there will be a 16 GB iPad 3? Probably not.

The iPhone 4S still starts at 16GB and I think that's a lot more useful as a camera. But ignoring the camera HW completely I think 16GB will happen again because this year's major spec bump is the display.
  • Reply 71 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Simply curious. . .

Are iPads commonly used as cameras? Seems like it would be awkward to use a tablet that way.

The answer to your questions are:

1. Yes, iPads are commonly used as cameras.

2. Yes, it is awkward.

No, I don't use my iPad as a camera, but it's more common than you think.
  • Reply 72 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mscohen View Post

Its not double

Resolution is a measure in two dimensions. You're switching up the number of pixels and resolution. It's double the resolution which means quadruple the number of pixels. Dimensions v. area.
  • Reply 73 of 111
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

The iPhone 4S still starts at 16GB and I think that's a lot more useful as a camera. But ignoring the camera HW completely I think 16GB will happen again because this year's major spec bump is the display.

12 minute for a clip is a bit long for average usage however several clips taken on an outing could easily add up to 12 min. Once back home you could off load them but 16 GB storage is a little on the small side these days.
  • Reply 74 of 111
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

What would be be great is for a quality digital camera that could use the iPad 3's HiDPI display as the view finder instead of the one built in.

There are so many uses for a good high speed port, either USB or TB, that I'm really frustrated that iPad3 is apparently ignoring this again. I know many can't grasp how such a port would enable the iPad in ways no other tech can, but there is just an endless supple of concepts where an iPad with a high speed port would just rock.

The interesting thing here is no leaks about the dock connector and the rumored updates there. A year or more ago they patented a revised dock connector, it would be nice to see that implemented in iPad3. Im not a big fan of the dock connector though, nor Apples control over what hardware uses it. Thus the interest in a standard port.
  • Reply 75 of 111
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

2. Yes, it is awkward.

I don't think that it's that awkward. If the iPad 3 has the same quality camera that the iPhone 4S has, then most people will take better pictures with the iPad than with the iPhone. Why? Because of the huge hi-res display of course. I don't walk around outside with an iPad in my back pocket. But if I happened to be somewhere and I happened to have an iPad in close proximity, then I wouldn't mind using it to take pictures with.

I can think of a million things that are more awkward than taking pictures with an iPad, so on the list of awkward things, taking pictures with your iPad is pretty damn low on that list, IMO.
  • Reply 76 of 111
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juggernaut30 View Post

I have to admit I was a little disappointed at first as well. But after really thinking about it I really don't care. I know Apple's new processor will rock. All I really care about is that the UI stays buttery smooth. And I'm sure Apple won't disappoint in that department.

I'm hoping the next software upgrade fixes the problem of apps crashing. It happens to me all the time, especially in Safari and Skyfire. Happens on both my iPhone 4S and iPad 2.
  • Reply 77 of 111
    Quote:

The details were scoured from a Chinese microblogging site and shared by Apple.pro on Tuesday ( Google Translate). Included with the details is a purported "iPad 3" 9.7-inch front glass panel showing a design largely unchanged from the current iPad 2, though the new part does feature a longer ribbon cable than its predecessor.

The iPad 3 will also have a purple monkey dishwasher.

This is the problem I have. This is a bunch of "details" pieced together from questionable sources--no really--what is the source of these rumors? These parts could be from rejected prototypes or engineering studies. Sounds to me like Apple.pro stapled a bunch of rumors together, read between the lines, and guessed at the final the specs. Every time these rumors get re-reported, we get one step further removed from the sources, people sneak in their own interpretations, and you end up with a questionable report that's part rumor, part speculation, and part wish list.
  • Reply 78 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

There are so many uses for a good high speed port, either USB or TB, that I'm really frustrated that iPad3 is apparently ignoring this again. I know many can't grasp how such a port would enable the iPad in ways no other tech can, but there is just an endless supple of concepts where an iPad with a high speed port would just rock.

The interesting thing here is no leaks about the dock connector and the rumored updates there. A year or more ago they patented a revised dock connector, it would be nice to see that implemented in iPad3. Im not a big fan of the dock connector though, nor Apples control over what hardware uses it. Thus the interest in a standard port.

Anand posted an article about how TB could not possibly happen on an iDevice because it doesn't have an Intel processor. But all other connected devices don't either. I get that the NAND flash is only about 20MB/s but that will increase and there are option for direct video streaming and fast charging over TB that USB can't competing with. I think he has a point but I also think he doesn't address the whole issue.(Just to be clear no one has said that USB would go away if TB was added. Remember they used to have FW and USB over the same 30-pin connector.)

As for the connector it has been used for about 10 years now. I don't know of any other company that has used the same connector for so long over 3 distinct product categories. Is it getting long in the tooth or was there sufficient future-forward thinking that will let it live on for another 5 or 10 years?
  • Reply 79 of 111
    For me a kick ass feature would be the ability to connect directly to a dslr (canon for me) and control the camera directly from the iPad. The same over wifi would be even better. The ability to use the iPad as a screen would be the thing. Opening up the connector to real usb functionality, or at least to add some usb peripherals would be great as well. For instance how about being able to import compact flash cards directly? No one seems to focus on these potential changes to the next iPad, which would be as good as a multicore processor.
  • Reply 80 of 111
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

So please, enlighten us, or troll elsewhere.

from the self-ordained troll patrol -

You remind me of 'Cowboy X' from Sesame Street years ago... riding into town here, weilding your 'troll' branding iron and wildly stamping everyones post.

I think we would be hard pressed to find anyone here you havent branded 'troll'.

So allow me to be the character who tells you that our community here doesnt appreciate it.

Chill dude.