'iPad 3' rumored to launch in Germany on March 23

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014

With Apple expected to unveil its next-generation iPad in early March, a new rumor suggests that the device will launch in Germany only a few weeks later, on March 23.

Following up on a report from earlier Tuesday that suggested the so-called "iPad 3" will launch in Germany in April, iFun.de chimed in to dispute that date. Instead, the German-language site has heard that Apple's next iPad will launch in their country on March 23.

Last year, Apple announced the iPad 2 on March 2, and the device became available in the U.S. just over a week later, on March 11. The international launch came a few weeks later, on March 25, to 25 additional countries including Germany.

This year, Apple is expected to unveil its third-generation iPad at a media event on March 7. If that date is accurate and Apple employs the same launch timeframe as 2011, the device would go on sale in the U.S. on Friday, March 16, while international availability would begin on Friday, March 30.

Purported 'iPad 3' case and comparison photos. | Source: Apple Daily

Though the April launch for the next iPad in Germany was disputed, a number of other details were contained in the original report. It said that the "iPad 3" will feature Siri voice control and a 1080p camera with image stabilization, both powered by a dual-core "A5X" processor.

The third-generation iPad is also expected to feature a high-resolution Retina Display. The pixel-dense screen is rumored to have a resolution of 2,048-by-1,536 pixels, which is 260 pixels per inch, and twice the resolution of the current iPad 2 screen.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Notice the cool Chinese character at the bottom of that image in red. There is a semi reversed Apple logo as the last character from the right. Weird.
  • Reply 2 of 76
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I hope that Apple implements some new rules and a new system for dealing with douchebag scalpers.

Cash should be illegal and it should only be one per customer. The scalper problem is Apple's problem and it is their problem to fix. Some people say that Apple should be worried about bad publicity because of the bogus worker situation in China, but just wait and see what happens when somebody gets shot outside of an Apple store waiting for an iPad! That would probably not be too good publicity for Apple.

Hopefully any losers who are the kind of people who line up to buy sneakers will not be lining up to buy any iPads.
  • Reply 3 of 76
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    No surprise there, as we already know that it'll be released sometime in March.

Anyway... I'm just surprised to see that it appears to be quite a bit thicker than the previously rumored +1mm in today's leaked pics.

• Reply 4 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Notice the cool Chinese character at the bottom of that image in red. There is a semi reversed Apple logo as the last character from the right. Weird.

not sure what you mean by "semi reversed Apple logo". those four Chinese characters mean "Apple Daily", as in daily newspaper.
  • Reply 5 of 76
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

No surprise there, as well already know that it'll be released sometime in March.

Anyway... I'm just surprised to see that it appears to be quite a bit thicker than the previously rumored +1mm in today's leaked pics.

image: http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/102...20221at111.png

What is it that makes you so compelled to troll and FUD?
  • Reply 6 of 76
    Quote:

I'm not surprised, as that has long been rumored. It's only around 1 mm thicker, so it makes no difference at all. With all those new features and the new screen, plus a bigger battery, bigger camera and other goodies crammed inside of it, I guess we can live with 1mm thicker. It's not like the iPad2 was thick to begin with.
  • Reply 7 of 76
    SMS/Text Messaging?

Phone calls via bluetooth???

if not, forget it apple...
  • Reply 8 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

SMS/Text Messaging?

Phone calls via bluetooth???

if not, forget it apple...

Oh, a Troll on AI, what a surprise.....
  • Reply 9 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnOldAplGuy View Post

We are talking about an iPad, right? How exactly will SMS work on a WiFi iPad?
  • Reply 10 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnOldAplGuy View Post

Here, you can borrow mine. I keep a well stocked supply at home.

• Reply 11 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What is it that makes you so compelled to troll and FUD?=

Just because someone post something you don't happen to like doesn't mean they're trolling, etc - So Get Over It.

Anyway... We'll see in a couple of weeks what the size difference is, though one thing's for certain... It won't be any thinner.
  • Reply 12 of 76
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

We are talking about an iPad, right? How exactly will SMS work on a WiFi iPad?

Not defending his position, but plenty of people use google voice as their primary sms number. Not to mention plenty of other options and apps available to send/receive texts over wifi and an iPad.

And if you wanted to use your actual cellphone number for sending texts instead you can do that as well from logging in on your Sprint/AT&T/Verizon website to send and receive from there as well. At least you can on Sprint, so I assume the other carriers offer that option as well. Useful for when you are at a computer or an iPad and get into a long text chats with someone. The larger keyboard makes typing so much easier.
  • Reply 13 of 76
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    You know they're calling it an A5X. X is another good letter to signify 4 of something, given the X has 4 ends 1mm thicker than the iPad 2 will be just fine, esp if that lets them maintain battery life parity w/the iPad 2. I've been using an iPad 1 in the Apple case all this time, the iPad 2 already feels like absolutely nothing when I hold it.
  • Reply 14 of 76
    Quote:

Just because someone post something you don't happen to like doesn't mean they're trolling, etc - So Get Over It.

But of the three images you could have picked you cherry picked the one that was offset the most knowing full well that there was one that showed barely a difference in thickness. Hence, you're trolling.

Quote:

Anyway... We'll see in a couple of weeks what the size difference is, though one thing's for certain... It won't be any thinner.

Three things are for sure... being slightly thicker means it has a HiDPI display, that sales won't be negatively impacted, and Android-based tablets will be effectively shut out.
  • Reply 15 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Not defending his position, but plenty of people use google voice as their primary sms number. Not to mention plenty of other options and apps available to send/receive texts over wifi and an iPad.

And if you wanted to use your actual cellphone number for sending texts instead you can do that as well from logging in on your Sprint/AT&T/Verizon website to send and receive from there as well. At least you can on Sprint, so I assume the other carriers offer that option as well. Useful for when you are at a computer or an iPad and get into a long text chats with someone. The larger keyboard makes typing so much easier.

That's SMS being sent to the device over IP from Google's SMS servers. In a general population I wouldn't argue the point but here, on a tech related forum, I think the difference should be noted. Also, as you state there are ways to get your SMS sent to other devices through intermediaries.
  • Reply 16 of 76
    Quote:

Three things are for sure... being slightly thicker means it has a HiDPI display, that sales won't be negatively impacted, and Android-based tablets will be effectively shut out.

I don't think that anybody gives a shit about 1 mm thicker. We're not talking about 1 inch here.

And then there are those blasphemous people who will go out and put their iPad inside some kind of hideous case, adding to the thickness. I am not one of those people. And I don't put plastic covers on my sofa at home either.
  • Reply 17 of 76
    Quote:

But of the three images you could have picked you cherry picked the one that was offset the most knowing full well that there was one that showed barely a difference in thickness. Hence, you're trolling.

No a single posts in this article once mentioned anything about Android... yet you just had to, and yet you have the nerve to accuse someone of trolling - Now that's Hypocrisy of the Highest Order.

regardless... I'm looking forward to my new iPad 3, especially if they offer a 128gb version.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I And then there are those blasphemous people who will go out and put their iPad inside some kind of hideous case, adding to the thickness. I am not one of those people. And I don't put plastic covers on my sofa at home either.

Of course there are those "go out and put their iPad inside some kind of case" because the aluminium iPad shell just happens to be rather slippery, so they choose to protect against accidental slips and drops.
  • Reply 18 of 76
    @ Apple ][,

The iPad 2 with the Smart Cover is incredibly thin compared to the iPad 1 in the Apple case. It doesn't really feel that way because the back is curved so much but laying flat down you can really see the difference. That said, it was never a problem with either one. I think wight is the larger concern as the new display plus GPU and RAM could be more power hungry yet I want the same or more duration for the same tasks.

Quote:

No a single posts in this article once mentioned anything about Android... yet you just had to, and yet you have the nerve to accuse someone of trolling - Now that's Hypocrisy of the Highest Order.

regardless... I'm looking forward to my new iPad 3, especially if they offer a 128gb version.

You made a slanted comment to spread FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) about the aesthetics and usability of the iPad. I pointed that a 265 PPI 9.7" display at the same price point would be even more effective for the iPad domination of the market than its previous success. I made a comment that can be debated, if you actually chose to write like an adult. You inability to not see the difference is the reason you get treated the way you do. Maybe it's time for you to post more watermarked images of stuff you own¡
  • Reply 19 of 76
    Quote:

Of course there are those "go out and put their iPad inside some kind of case" because the aluminium iPad shell just happens to be rather slippery, so they choose to protect against accidental slips and drops.

I have one of those Neoprene slip covers which I'll put my iPad in when I throw it in a bag, but I only use the iPad naked, when I'm actually using it.

I just find it funny how Apple goes through such great lengths to make nice looking and thin devices and then certain people destroy the look as soon as they get it. But to each his own I suppose.
  • Reply 20 of 76
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

iPad 1 + Apple Case + small children = much happier parents My kids do a great job actually. We've had it for a year and a half now and the kids are almost 6 1/2 and 4. They're extremely careful, but it being in the Apple Case really makes me feel better. Plus the Apple case is still much more sleek than a lot of those "kid friendly"iPad cases out there that are fashion disasters.