'iPad 3' rumored to launch in Germany on March 23

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

@ Apple ][,

The iPad 2 with the Smart Cover is incredibly thin compared to the iPad 1 in the Apple case.

I agree. I wasn't thinking about the smart cover, but rather some third party cases.
  • Reply 22 of 76
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

We are talking about an iPad, right? How exactly will SMS work on a WiFi iPad?

I think you should be able to send SMS between different devices. I could always send SMS from my Mac to a cell phone. Receiving a reply was not always as reliable. You should certainly be able to send SMS on a 3G iPad but Apple does not provide an app for that although I have heard that there are third party apps.
  • Reply 23 of 76
    Shoot what am I going to do with all these cases I just bought, they're going to slip right off. Why do they have to make it smaller, yet again!
  • Reply 24 of 76
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

iPad 1 + Apple Case + small children = much happier parents

Very true... Though I've found the best solution to eliminate the inherently slippery aluminum case without adding bulk is to either cover my iPads in composite materials e.g. carbon fiber, Kevlar, whatever I have left over from vehicle projects, or to custom paint my devices with a final clear-coat mixed with a bit of light texturizer.

Then again, I never care to have anything that looks like anyone else's.

Quote:

You made a slanted comment to spread FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) about the aesthetics and usability of the iPad.

I Did No Such Thing, and it's just another instance of you being way too defensive/hostile about anything that anyone post about an Apple product with which you don't agree.
  • Reply 25 of 76
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I have one of those Neoprene slip covers which I'll put my iPad in when I throw it in a bag, but I only use the iPad naked, when I'm actually using it.

I just find it funny how Apple goes through such great lengths to make nice looking and thin devices and then certain people destroy the look as soon as they get it. But to each his own I suppose.

I don't like the feel of the aluminum back. I feel like I'm getting slightly shocked every-time I touch it. It's uncomfortable. I also despise thick, ugly cases, but wouldn't mind a transparent, ultra-thin membrane that can give a slightly softer feel while protecting from everyday nicks.
  • Reply 26 of 76
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

I Did No Such Thing, and it's just another instance of you (SolipsismX) being way too defensive/hostile about anything that anyone post about an Apple product with which you don't agree.

So I am not the only one that noticed that.

I have run into some Apple zealots on forums, but he is closer to a Sicarii.
  • Reply 27 of 76
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

I Did No Such Thing, and it's just another instance of you being way too defensive/hostile about anything that anyone post about an Apple product with which you don't agree.

You clearly did. You have a history of doing it. it's not about agreeing or disagreeing it's about you purposely making false claims that you know are not true. Hence, FUD, hence trolling. Of course, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt if you can show that you had no knowledge of the pic (from that same set) that showed them sitting side-by-side -and- that you have no concept of what perspective is and how the clearly offset devices might appear to be different sizes but I'm guessing you first saw these pics at MR or Engadget and that your frequent use of a camera means you are well aware of that latter.
  • Reply 28 of 76
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

So I am not the only one that noticed that.

I have run into some Apple zealots on forums, but he is closer to a Sicarii.

You're hardly alone, and for those of us who do enjoy using/owning Apple products, but don't conform to the almost cultish (Apple or Nothing) mentality of some, the incessant/unprovoked attacks, harassment, and bullying from the likes of Solipsism/SolipsismX/Apple ][ et al can only be seen as sad, pathetic, and a very poor reflection upon the on-line communities they infest.

Oh Well... \
  • Reply 29 of 76
    Quote:

We are talking about an iPad, right? How exactly will SMS work on a WiFi iPad?

Google Voice

As someone posted already
  • Reply 30 of 76
    Quote:

You're hardly alone, and for those of us who do enjoy using/owning Apple products, but don't conform to the almost cultish (Apple or Nothing) mentality of some, the incessant/unprovoked attacks, harassment, and bullying from the likes of Solipsism/SolipsismX/Apple ][ et al can only be seen as sad, pathetic, and a very poor reflection upon the on-line communities they infest.

Oh Well... \

you forgot TS, ascii, Ireland, sflocal,.

At least slappy is banned so their post count will decrease. Well we can only hope
  • Reply 31 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

you forgot TS, ascii, Ireland, sflocal,.

At least slappy is banned so their post count will decrease. Well we can only hope

As the Internet would say, "Come at us, bro."

It's an Apple fan site, but I'm in no way a zealot. Not anymore. And you're equating Ireland to Apple ][? We're talking about the same Ireland, right?
  • Reply 32 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

As the Internet would say, "Come at us, bro."

It's an Apple fan site, but I'm in no way a zealot. Not anymore. And you're equating Ireland to Apple ][? We're talking about the same Ireland, right?

It's amazing the hypocrisies of those that troll. DaHarder cries about being attacked when he his FUD was pointed out and then goes on to call posters sad and pathetic without actually addressing the post. Man up and learn to write like an adult or man up when you get called out on your bullshit. You can't have it both ways. I don't even care that they troll as I do like decimating their poorly contrived arguments but to attack posters and then cry it about it when the someone pushes back is juvenile, doing nothing but derailing the conversation as they are now.... but that is their goal so i guess they are winning.
  • Reply 33 of 76
    Quote:

Google Voice

As someone posted already

And as it's also been pointed out Google Voce sends you the SMS from their servers over IP. It's no longer SMS.
  • Reply 34 of 76
    Quote:

And as it's also been pointed out Google Voce sends you the SMS from their servers over IP. It's no longer SMS.

Are you serious? If you can send and receive a text from the google voice app on your ipad why are you splitting hairs about it being sent via IP? I even pointed out you can actually send texts and even picture messages from your actual mobile number by logging on your sprint.com or any other carriers website. That is not including all the free text apps out there along with VoIP apps that also include texts.

You said " How exactly will SMS work on a WiFi iPad?"

Hopefully you can just be a magnanimous for once and say, oh yeah it is possible.
  • Reply 35 of 76
    Quote:

Sure it is.
  • Reply 36 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Are you serious? If you can send and receive a text from the google voice app on your ipad why are you splitting hairs about it being sent via IP? I even pointed out you can actually send texts and even picture messages from your actual mobile number by logging on your sprint.com or any other carriers website. That is not including all the free text apps out there along with VoIP apps that also include texts.

FYI: Logging into sprint.com is over IP, not the control channel on your cellular connection.

Quote:

You said " How exactly will SMS work on a WiFi iPad?"

Hopefully you can just be a magnanimous for once and say, oh yeah it is possible.

Yet again, how SMS will work is like it's worked in the past, being relayed over IP from a device that will send or receive from the carrier's SMS servers. This is very basic stuff.
  • Reply 37 of 76
    Quote:

Sure it is.

So if you get an email then write it down on paper and mail it to someone using the USPS you would call that an email? I certainly wouldn't. I'd say it originated as an email but the moment you change the medium it's no longer an email. it's still mail, just as an SMS or IM are still text messages, but SMS has a very specific meaning.

I've given you all the key words you need to look this stuff so none of this "I've never heard of such a thing so I'll keep pretending it doesn't exist" nonsense. This forum isn't for sticking your head in the ground.
  • Reply 38 of 76
    Quote:

So if you get an email then write it down on paper and mail it to someone using the USPS you would call that an email? I certainly wouldn't. I'd say it originated as an email but the moment you change the medium it's no longer an email. it's still mail, just as an SMS or IM are still text messages, but SMS has a very specific meaning.

I've given you all the key words you need to look this stuff so none of this "I've never heard of such a thing so I'll keep pretending it doesn't exist" nonsense. This forum isn't for sticking your head in the ground.

if USPS then types that printed email back to email and I received in my email inbox I sure would
  • Reply 39 of 76
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Short Message Service (SMS) is a text messaging service component of phone, web, or mobile communication systems, using standardized communications protocols that allow the exchange of short text messages between fixed line or mobile phone devices.

from wikipedia. SMS is not exclusively for phones it is a general protocol that many devices can use.
  • Reply 40 of 76
    Quote:

FYI: Logging into sprint.com is over IP, not the control channel on your cellular connection.

Yet again, how SMS will work is like it's worked in the past, being relayed over IP from a device that will send or receive from the carrier's SMS servers. This is very basic stuff.

Don't add all the extra qualifiers now. No one besides you cares how or what protocol it uses. To an end user if I send a text to someone's phone number and can receive a reply to that message from my iPad on WiFi that would qualify as it being possible. You even said a while back you are too cheap for a text plan so use iMessage which is now possible to use on a Mac. Don't retreat to the letter of the law when you clearly lost the spirit of the law argument.

If someone receives a text message on their phone regardless of their phone or carrier from my WiFi iPad using GV or any other text app, I don't think they would care that it was not sent via the control channel on my carrier or over IP. All that matters is if you can send and reply to it like you would any other text message.