Apple's 'iPad 3' rumored to have Siri, dual-core A5X chip, 1080p camera

Comments

• Reply 81 of 111
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So one of you wants dual-core Cortex-A15 and the other doesn't want dual-core? I don't think I've read anything that suggests it will dual-core or that Cortex-A15 is ready.

Samsung has its Dual Core Exynos 5250 Cortex A15 chips ready.

I doubt that Apple has a contract with them yet.
  • Reply 82 of 111
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Samsung has its Dual Core Exynos 5250 Cortex A15 chips ready.

I doubt that Apple has a contract with them yet.

The only began sampling a couple weeks ago. Mass production (as in ready) won't be until Q2. It's unlikely Apple have been able to get 5-8 million per month for the last 2 months.
  • Reply 83 of 111
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

Slurpy is not Slapppy. I feel bad for Slurpy.

For the record, I never ever confused Slurpy and slappy, though he may have thought I did in another thread. I hope he re-read that post.

Slurpy is one of my favorite tough logicians around here, always amusing besides.

slappy was amusing, but for the wrong reasons.
  • Reply 84 of 111
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

from the self-ordained troll patrol -

You remind me of 'Cowboy X' from Sesame Street years ago... riding into town here, weilding your 'troll' branding iron and wildly stamping everyones post.

I think we would be hard pressed to find anyone here you havent branded 'troll'.

So allow me to be the character who tells you that our community here doesnt appreciate it.

Chill dude.

When you're old enough to stop watching Sesame Street, then I'll consider your comments.

An android poster drives-by with yet another "iPad doesn't spec up to an Android tablet", I ask that he back up his beliefs, and he's conveniently quiet.

I call trolls as I see them. There are quite a few infesting this forum, and I'll continue outing them.
  • Reply 85 of 111
    The really need to put two 1080p cameras on the back so it will shoot in 3D.
  • Reply 86 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I see that camera as a waste of money! Honestly there are only a few people using it and in most cases the usage is odd. Worst is the idea that it costs Apple nothing to install the camera. I'd rather see the cost of the camera applied to something worthwhile.

Yeah but is it really worthwhile to keep the monkeys supplied with bananas? Feed them once and they will keep coming back for another and another. Better to go cold turkey and make these users fend for themselves.

Least imaginative, most wizened, least wizardly point of view.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I have found that taking pictures with the iPad is actually easier and better than the iPhone.

The reason is the on-screen software button, which one's hands often go through convulsions to access on the iPhone, whereas on the iPad it's easy to reach and right under your finger (when holding the iPad in landscape mode). It's arguably nicer to have the gigantic viewfinder also. In fact digital cameras used to be sold partially on the size of the screen on the back so it makes little sense that we now decry the iPad for the same reason we praised the previous cameras.

I don't have any evidence, but I kind of think that the only reason people *wouldn't* like the iPad as a camera is the fear of ridicule while using it.

The Professor is miles ahead of you, wizard69. Hang your blanket out to dry.
  • Reply 87 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

iPad 3D
  • Reply 88 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

iPad 3D

Later on this year. Or next year, guaranteed.
  • Reply 89 of 111
    Quote:

So one of you wants dual-core Cortex-A15 and the other doesn't want dual-core? I don't think I've read anything that suggests it will dual-core or that Cortex-A15 is ready.

This news seems more realistic than others. Better camera and Siri was about all I expected from the iPad 3. I could never see a Retina display and LTE. Apple always keeps an even balance to maintain battery life on all their products.

I feel my iPad 2 is perfect I don't see any reason to upgrade at this point.
  • Reply 90 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

This news seems more realistic than others. Better camera and Siri was about all I expected from the iPad 3. I could never see a Retina display and LTE. Apple always keeps an even balance to maintain battery life on all their products.

I feel my iPad 2 is perfect I don't see any reason to upgrade at this point.

I agree that from a technical standpoint it would seem difficult to maintain the same battery life and price point over the iPad 2 but I'm thinking the Retina Display is coming because the supposed leaked photos are showing it to be slightly thicker and there just seems to be too much evidence supporting it.

Also, Mac Rumors has apparently used a microscope on the display ? not just been sent pics ? that show the 4x pixel density, but that could just be a prototype and not something that is feasible for 5-8 millions units a month. Surely those most against the HiDPI display at least assume Apple is experimenting with these panels.
  • Reply 91 of 111
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Going to wait until the Windows 8 tablets are released later this year before making a decision. It will come down to usability and apps. Since I run a Windows Media Center server at home, I may have to get a W8 tablet for compatibility.
  • Reply 92 of 111
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Yes you did, you read this article, didn't you?

To me, Apple A5X could easily be Apple's re-branding of the Cortex A15.

15, 5X, X5....catch my drift?
  • Reply 93 of 111
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    If the FaceTime camera does not see improvement, I will be very disappointed. The front camera on any tablet device, particularly the iPad, is 1000x more important than the back camera.
  • Reply 94 of 111
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The iPad 3 will also have a purple monkey dishwasher.

I think you meant Gasoline Powered Purple Monkey Dishwasher.
  • Reply 95 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Yes you did, you read this article, didn't you?

To me, Apple A5X could easily be Apple's re-branding of the Cortex A15.

15, 5X, X5....catch my drift?

I'm not seeing that numerical correlation as being the most likely. And while Apple does have some pull in getting chips produced faster than others those being A15-based in the quantity needed seems unlike for a March release. Now if we say an April release that month certainly starts sounding more realistic. Personally I'm leaning toward what others have said about this A) either being a placeholder or B) the X referring to 2xfor the CPU, and possibly the RAM and GPU (if not 4x like Wizard69 suggests).
  • Reply 96 of 111
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    This rumor strikes me as pretty dubious. I could see someone in the supply chain outing a component here and their, but how does that same person get to "will have Siri"? We're seeing pictures of bits and pieces, not finished iPads, and how likely is it that iPads coming off the line are getting booted up and having their apps used, outside of the tightest possible security?

Honestly, this is one of those rumors that reads more like a compendium of earlier rumors than any insider knowledge-- is there anyone posting here that couldn't have come up with a similar list?
  • Reply 97 of 111
    Well I want retina/LTE/better CPU/GPU and it looks I'm getting it. A5X to me means a faster clock A5 with a new GPU Wichita is great. GPU is where e performance needs to be and as a jail breaker continuing in the A5 family means pretty fast jailbreak for iOS 5.1 iPad 3. A5 beats tegra 3 handily meaning a higher clock with a new GPU will crush tegra 3 quadcore.

More ram and a 8m camera will be good but is not a deal breaker for me...

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!! Credit card ready...
  • Reply 98 of 111
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    All I want is 1GB of RAM. I'd wish for 2GB but I don't want to be disappointed.
  • Reply 99 of 111
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    If the new ipad has only one new feature, and it is a retina display i'll be getting one... reading ibooks on a retina display will be awesome!
  • Reply 100 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applecider View Post

For instance how about being able to import compact flash cards directly? No one seems to focus on these potential changes to the next iPad, which would be as good as a multicore processor.

You can already plug in compact flashcards into the iPad...

http://store.micgadget.com/card-read...ction-kit.html