Apple TV forgets my network

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
This is a version 2 Apple TV purchased for Christmas last year. Finally got it set up here, and it works great - if I never shut it off. If I do power off using the remote, it forgets my network and I have to supply the security key again to do anything. This isn't the way it is supposed to work, I assume. Any ideas how I can get this thing to remember my security key?

Oh, I thought that maybe if I went from dynamic IP to static that might help, so the Apple TV now has a permanent static IP on my network. No joy.

It sure works nice once I put the key in - if I don't shut it off.

Ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benttop View Post

This is a version 2 Apple TV purchased for Christmas last year. Finally got it set up here, and it works great - if I never shut it off. If I do power off using the remote, it forgets my network and I have to supply the security key again to do anything. This isn't the way it is supposed to work, I assume. Any ideas how I can get this thing to remember my security key?

Oh, I thought that maybe if I went from dynamic IP to static that might help, so the Apple TV now has a permanent static IP on my network. No joy.

It sure works nice once I put the key in - if I don't shut it off.

Ideas?

Hm. Apparently no one knows. Guess I'll call Apple...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Hm. Apparently no one knows. Guess I'll call Apple...

No, we know. This is the single most common thing that happens with these things. Apple's not gonna be able to help you fix it; we just have to wait for an update.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, we know. This is the single most common thing that happens with these things. Apple's not gonna be able to help you fix it; we just have to wait for an update.

ah.. well plan B then - guess I'll run some CAT5 over there.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

ah.. well plan B then - guess I'll run some CAT5 over there.

I had a similar problem sand called Apple Care. This sounds really silly but we tried several reconfigure things and ended up (YUP) unplugging and plugging it back in. Fixed everything. Dah.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TallistDah View Post

I had a similar problem sand called Apple Care. This sounds really silly but we tried several reconfigure things and ended up (YUP) unplugging and plugging it back in. Fixed everything. Dah.

So that was easy enough to try. I went over to the TV cabinet and pulled the two cables out of the back of the unit, then looked down in my hand and realized it has been sitting there upside down the whole time! Well that's embarrassing. Plugged it all up and what do you know, it works perfectly. Nice! I don't know which thing caused the resolution, but I guess I don't care!

Thanks for causing me to pay attention!

So what do you guys think? Is the WiFi antenna going to be affected by having this thing on its top? I suppose it would depend on what's above and below the unit...