iPhones sweep list of 2011's best-selling smartphones in U.S.

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Apple's current iPhone models were the three best-selling smartphones in America in 2011, with the iPhone 4 beating out the legacy iPhone 3GS and new iPhone 4S to become the biggest seller of the year.

In its annual "Mobile Future in Focus" report released on Thursday, telecom analytics firm comScore reports that Apple's hot-selling handsets also took the top two spots in the EU5 (France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the U.K.), while the recently debuted iPhone 4S took the fifth spot in the region despite only being available for less than three months.

The firm's MobiLens survey showed that the iPhone 4 was the most acquired smartphone in the U.S. and the EU5, with the two-year-old iPhone 3GS taking second place in both regions most likely due to the device's low price-of-entry.

Echoing earlier reports, Apple became the largest smartphone vendor in its home country, attaining over a quarter share of the market with 29.6 percent. The Cupertino, Calif., company also led the smartphone markets of the U.K. and Japan with 26.4 percent and 33.6 percent, respectively.

The iPhone maker's high sales can be attributed to an overall shift toward smartphones, as the devices overtook feature phones for the first time in many countries during 2011. Sales in America, for example, surpassed those of so-called "dumb phones" in July, 2011.

Total smartphone audience grew dramatically in the U.S. and EU5 over the second half of last year, with key factors like 3G and 4G availability and carrier subsidy pricing playing large roles in the shift. During the second half of 2011, the number of smartphone users in the U.S. grew 14.8 percent to account for 41.8 percent of total mobile users, while the EU5 saw a similar 13 percent bump to end the year with 44 percent.

Top-selling smartphones in U.S. and EU5 during 2011. | Source: comScore

With the share of smartphones on the rise, Google's Android platform proved to be the most successful OS, taking nearly half of the U.S. market and snagging the top spot away from the dying Symbian platform in the EU5.

Data suggests that the ballooning population of Android users are coming from RIM's sinking BlackBerry ship, though Apple's iOS also benefitted from the BlackBerry exodus as the Canadian phone maker's share of the market halved in the U.S. over 2011 to end at 16 percent.

As smartphones become more affordable, the rate of adoption is quickly making the industry a part of the mainstream consumer segment.

The drive down in hardware and carrier costs has allowed those demographics that have not traditionally been associated with the smartphone market to pick up a new device. Fastest growing segments were members of six-person households and those making less than $25,000 a year, and showed a 99 percent and 98 percent uptick, respectively.

Smartphone OEMs by market share. | Source: comScore

comScore notes that 2012 will be a significant year for the U.S. smartphone market as device adoption passes 100 million. The firm sees iOS and Android holding court over their competitors as the two companies' app ecosystems are far more robust than competing platforms.

As a closing note, the study mentions how many times the throne to the top smartphone OS has changed hands in the U.S. over the past six years; from Palm, to RIM and Symbian, to Microsoft, to Android. Apple has never laid claim to the title.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) Countries for flags from top to bottom: United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Japan, Canada, Obamaville.

2) Even with double the time on the market I'm surprised the Galaxy S II is besting the 4S in sales.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Even the ancient 3GS is kicking Android's butt! How embarrassing for fandroids everywhere.

To put it simply, Apple makes the most desirable phones and tablets on the entire planet.

Anybody can have a big mouth on the internet and claim whatever they want, but in the end, people vote with their wallets, and Apple is winning.

Samsung should get ready to film their next commercial soon. I hear that there's going to be some rather large lines outside of Apple stores in a few weeks and Samsung can get some good authentic footage for free, instead of the fake lines that they use in their commercials.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Even the ancient 3GS is kicking Android's butt! How embarrassing for fandroids everywhere.

To put it simply, Apple makes the most desirable phones and tablets on the entire planet.

Anybody can have a big mouth on the internet and claim whatever they want, but in the end, people vote with their wallets, and Apple is winning.

I think for a younger teenager, a 3GS is a perfect phone. It still has all the parental controls, you can still find them if you need to, and it's a lot cheaper to replace if broken or stolen.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:

Samsung should get ready to film their next commercial soon. . .

They already filmed one for use on Facebook. It's a little different from their other efforts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=l2gjn12QS9I
  • Reply 5 of 29
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:

I always wondered about that. IRL most people opt for the iPhone and iPad yet if you go to any tech blog, you'll find the majority of posters claiming they own Android and Android is the best and iPhone sucks and they all have that ridiculous avatar of the Android logo swallowing Apple. What is the source of this disconnect? Could it possibly be that the majority of Android users are lifeless drones who spend their time trolling the comment section of tech blogs?
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I think for a younger teenager, a 3GS is a perfect phone. It still has all the parental controls, you can still find them if you need to, and it's a lot cheaper to replace if broken or stolen.

I agree!
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Could it possibly be that the majority of Android users are lifeless drones who spend their time trolling the comment section of tech blogs?

Yes, I do believe that you're on to something there. Based on my own experience, I would agree with you. Some of those drones have even found their way onto this forum. How pathetic is that?

I would never in a million years ever join an Android forum.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:

And they have no idea what they're missing
  • Reply 9 of 29
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:

It never even occurred to me. I just run into them on general tech blogs like engadget among others.

I'm just glad that my suspicions have more or less been vindicated. The majority of Android fans are sexually frustrated nerds.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Quote:

I always wondered about that. IRL most people opt for the iPhone and iPad yet if you go to any tech blog, you'll find the majority of posters claiming they own Android and Android is the best and iPhone sucks and they all have that ridiculous avatar of the Android logo swallowing Apple. What is the source of this disconnect? Could it possibly be that the majority of Android users are lifeless drones who spend their time trolling the comment section of tech blogs?

The majority of people who post on tech blogs do not represent real world users. Besides myself all of the people I know who have iPhones don't even care about tech blogs (hell, my wife gets downright sick of hearing me go on and on about tech blog this and tech blog that).

I've found there are a few, very simple clubs that love Android:

1) Super tech geeks who must have root access to everything

2) People who HATE Apple no matter what

3) People who don't want to spend money (although the free 3GS is changing that)

4) Google and Adobe employees

Out of those four groups, 1 and 2 are who you'll find posting on tech blogs.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:

I just run into them on general tech blogs like engadget among others.

That is one of the worst sites that I have ever had the displeasure of visiting. The comments section on that site is infested with some of the dumbest creatures on the internet. It is highly fandroid infested, and I'd rate the majority of comments there as being somewhere between preschool and kindergarden level.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Countries for flags from top to bottom: United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Japan, Canada, Obamaville.

Obamerica.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Android is Winning! -slapppy
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

LOL... he will be missed

Here's my example of Android "winning"

It's like you're running a marathon... and you cross the finish line first... but there is no one there to celebrate because it wasn't a real race to begin with.

In other words... what exactly does Android get for "winning" ?
  • Reply 15 of 29
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Where is the real Slappy?

btw I have a feeling something is going to happen tomorrow. Maybe the iPad event invitations.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) Even with double the time on the market I'm surprised the Galaxy S II is besting the 4S in sales.

You disappoint me.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You disappoint me.

Things my girlfriend says after coitus for $1000, Alex.

PS: I assume it's for writing Obamaville but I don't see why that would be a slam against Obama. He's president so in one sense it's his country. I called it Bushtown when the Bushes were in office.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You disappoint me.

I found it mildly funny, because that's the same term that I use sometimes.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Quote:

Yes, I do believe that you're on to something there. Based on my own experience, I would agree with you. Some of those drones have even found their way onto this forum. How pathetic is that?

That's exactly why I finally signed up on AI after years of coming here for Apple news. It began to seem as though there were more Android idiots posting here than iPhone users. It seemed this place needed more voices to tell what is really going on with the iPhone.

Lately, it is becoming more clear that the iPhone is smoking everyone. It wasn't long ago that even Wall Street was predicting the gradual decline of Apple from the wave of "open" products (Windows/Android).

As big as Apple is, it amazes me that most people still suffer from this same old group think idea that Apple will always fail. Of course, it is forever the 90's for the "experts"..... Much to Apples advantage, actually.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Interesting that the Evo 4G was the overall best selling android phone despite Sprint being tiny compared to AT&T and Verizon.