Briefly: Upgrade reminder emails sent to MobileMe users, Firmware updates

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonathanworld View Post

To switch over to iCloud every one of my computers have to be running Lion to use my Mobileme email account with macMail , according to Apple.

Not only my computer but also the computer I use at work.

Now at the deadline time they are going to introduce a new iOS.

We don't know that Mountain Lion will be released in early summer.

and in the end, no matter when they set the deadline there will be a group of folks saying they should wait a bit longer for this or that reason.

Apple never promised that .Mac, MobileMe etc would last forever and they aren't required to keep them up. You've had a good six months to deal with the issues. That you don't think that is long enough isn't Apple's problem, it's yours.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dv8or View Post

I have not moved across to icloud as many others havent in large part due to there not being a satisfactory solution to mobileme galleries. This might seem trivial but as a pro photographer

You are one of potentially a small percent of folks actually using it. Same with iDisk. Apple has a history of dumping services that aren't used by the majority and focusing their time and attention on those services they are using.

There are alternatives out there that could prove to be even better than Galleries.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boboosta View Post

My family's iPod Touches are too old for iOS5--which is required for iCloud. So, I am praying that a new iPod Touch comes out before MobileMe terminates on June 30.

Despite the changes in the iPhone schedule the fall iPod change schedule has not altered so don't hold your breath over them suddenly deciding to move that date up on the calendar. Especially when the current iPod touch is iOS 5 compatible.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    I have PowerMac Dual 2.7 Ghz Tower that is my media server with Apple TV and part of home with 2 iPhone 4, MacBook Air 2010, MacBook 13 2011, and iPad 2. We have two Mobile me accounts, store a lot of stuff on iDisk, and separate iTunes account but share access on our machine.

It is unclear how to bring this set of hardware, services, and stored media files into sync with iCloud. Ergo I am holding off as long as possible. Migrant action is full of questions and with Terabytes of media bought music, photos, movies & TV is a big financial risk.

Apple guidance is not very useful.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Icloud requires MacOX 'Lion'. I would have to replace two out of my three computers to use 'Lion' therefore I won't be able to use the full Icloud nor obviously Mobileme either. In my opinion, this change-over seems like an ill-judged attempt to force unnecessary upgrades.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gprovida View Post

I have PowerMac Dual 2.7 Ghz Tower that is my media server with Apple TV and part of home with 2 iPhone 4, MacBook Air 2010, MacBook 13 2011, and iPad 2. We have two Mobile me accounts, store a lot of stuff on iDisk, and separate iTunes account but share access on our machine.

Apple has been rather clear that come June there will be no iDisk so how will that work with iCloud. it won't. It's done and over. Remove your files or they will be removed for you.

The only issue with the other services is whether they will drop them and delete your data or move it on your behalf. The safer bet is to assume the former and do the move yourself to be certain it happened.

As for your computer, if it is a PPC based computer it won't work with iCloud which requires Lion, which requires a Intel machine. Apple has been very clear about this also. Given that the last PPC machines were discontinued six years ago that shouldn't be a shock to anyone.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bill42 View Post

I agree. I am ready to migrate my galleries to iCloud Apple. Just tell me how!

I will go further and say, I really would appreciate you letting me keep the small web pages I made using iWeb over the years. Or homepage. This is why the Mac was always so much better than the PC world! Integration!

This is madness. There really is NO 3rd party photo hosting site that comes close to gallery. I don't want ugly pages and ads.

No migration possible for Galleries presently planned, hence my gripe. The Galleries will simply stop working one day soon. As to your web sites, no problem, get a hosting service and you can just publish from iWeb directly using its built in FTP.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dave2012 View Post

In my opinion, this change-over seems like an ill-judged attempt to force unnecessary upgrades.

Or Apple not wanting to support old tech that isn't well used.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dave2012 View Post

Icloud requires MacOX 'Lion'. I would have to replace two out of my three computers to use 'Lion' therefore I won't be able to use the full Icloud nor obviously Mobileme either. In my opinion, this change-over seems like an ill-judged attempt to force unnecessary upgrades.

Apple isn't legally required to continue to support all of their older hardware infinitum. If you insist on running PPC or single core Intel systems for half a decade that is on you, not them.

And you have that third computer which apparently can run Lion and therefore you aren't as forced into an upgrade as you say.

As for the 'unnecessary' claim, it is only so if you don't care about running current software since 99.9% of current software makers are focusing on current hardware and really don't care about your 4-5 year old systems.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    I dunno, I guess it's just me, but after running Lion on my iMac for the last year I've come to the conclusion that it's quite possibly the worst OS Apple has come up with since the advent of OS X. And iClod is an awkward, clumsy, poorly explained and transitioned desktop "service" that is geared almost exclusively towards iPhone users. For those of use (still most Mac users) who couldn't give a rat's ass about the iPhone, we actually have had useful features taken away from us. Thanks for nothin' Apple.

All the apologists can have at it now. Flame on.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    I would gladly switch to iCloud now, but I have two key applications I rely on which sync their data through Sync Services / iDisk that won't make it to iCloud: OmniFocus and SOHO Notes.

At least with OmniFocus, there is a solution available as I signed up for OmniGroup's Omni Sync Server beta. It looks like Chronos would have to do much the same thing for SOHO Notes, but given their somewhat spotty development track record, I would not count on them delivering that any time soon, if at all. Competing apps like DevonThink seem to be in the same boat.

I would be open to a new note-keeping database that can sync through iCloud or DropBox. SOHO Notes is a thousand times more powerful than, say, Evernote,

Thankfully, 1Password already syncs through my DropBox account.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    iCloud is NOT an upgrade for MobileMe.

All my Intel Macs are on Snow Leopard and will be until I'm forced to set them up for dual booting. Even then I'll only install Lion so I can keep my @mac.com email address. My plan is to stick with SL until 10.8.1 is released.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

All my Intel Macs are on Snow Leopard and will be until I'm forced to set them up for dual booting. Even then I'll only install Lion so I can keep my @mac.com email address. My plan is to stick with SL until 10.8.1 is released.

Can you defend that position?
  • Reply 33 of 41
    Quote:

It is an improvement in every possible way, save for cloud document storage (which is being fixed in Mountain Lion) How is that not an upgrade?
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:

I have not moved across to icloud as many others havent in large part due to there not being a satisfactory solution to mobileme galleries.

Apple are discontinuing MobileMe whether you switch over or not, but if you switch, you get to keep using the MobileMe features that are missing from iCloud (iDisk, Galleries) until the very end.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

You are one of potentially a small percent of folks actually using it. Same with iDisk. Apple has a history of dumping services that aren't used by the majority and focusing their time and attention on those services they are using.

Be that as it may, I for one will be sad to see Galleries go. They were great-looking, easy to use and very well integrated into Aperture and iPhoto.

.tsooJ
  • Reply 35 of 41
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:

You do not have to upgrade to Lion or Mountain Lion to keep the Mac email address, You can move to iCloud and setup the email account using Mail on Snow Leopard.

I have a lot of older customers who are happy to stick with older software and are frankly too old to be bothered to learn anything new, which, to be honest is fair enough.

If I were you I wouldn't concern yourself with anything Apple is currently doing or proposing to do. You should shy away from tech sites and be happy with what you have.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I don't think that is correct. I'm running a mixture of Lion and Snow Leopard, and Mail works fine on both systems. Lion Mail shows the account as iCloud IMAP, while SL Mail shows it as MobileMe IMAP.

I'm just going off of the info I read while starting to do my transfer. It said that Lion was required for complete Macmail function with iCloud

Quote:

We don't know that Mountain Lion will be released in early summer.

and in the end, no matter when they set the deadline there will be a group of folks saying they should wait a bit longer for this or that reason.

Apple never promised that .Mac, MobileMe etc would last forever and they aren't required to keep them up. You've had a good six months to deal with the issues. That you don't think that is long enough isn't Apple's problem, it's yours.

You are right they didn't promise it would last forever...that's a brilliant reasoning to only give a one year's notice to have a system changed over. If it was only my system that wouldn't be a problem I'm dealing with a University system with hundreds of macs that don't typically make a change as quickly as many do.

In four years a Mac owner will have had to deal with four different OS installs...each time I lose usability to certain equipment and apps...

Apple doesn't promise eternity so with that in mind why do I stay with them because I've grown to expect reasonable customer care....

Currently only 30% of Mac users are on Lion and a large portion of those are because they bought a mac with it already on it.......so isolate 70% of your user market....makes sense

http://gigaom.com/2012/02/16/for-app...ou-might-like/
  • Reply 37 of 41
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonathanworld View Post

I'm just going off of the info I read while starting to do my transfer. It said that Lion was required for complete Macmail function with iCloud

Well, whatever it says, you probably need something running Lion to set up iCloud, but once that is done you can configure your SL Mail to work with it.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Well, whatever it says, you probably need something running Lion to set up iCloud, but once that is done you can configure your SL Mail to work with it.

Thanks...good to know...takes one big hurdle out of the way...

Wondering how close Mountain Lion will be released to the deadline day for switching over.

Seems really early in the process for AppleInsider to have so many details about the update if it wasn't happening early summer.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:

I have not moved across to icloud as many others havent in large part due to there not being a satisfactory solution to mobileme galleries. This might seem trivial but as a pro photographer it is one of the most useful features (allowing ease of use and a slick interface to present things to clients) and IMHO is a real mistake on Apple's part to discontinue. Integration is one of the reasons i got into macs to begin with. Anyone else who feels the same please check out the Support communities for more info. https://discussions.apple.com/message/15352877#15352877

I wholeheartedly agree. Photo's can be shared in numerous ways, there are even Aperture plugins. But the seamless integration of websharing and your Apple designed photo application cannot be replicated by other soft are companies. And thanks for the link.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Please Apple replicate or move the Galleries feature. If you can store all those photo stream pictures on the cloud why not the galleries Aperture and iPhoto can create? I totally understand dropping the web hosting but the galleries are very useful. In fact I'd go further and suggest you improve the galleries even more with better slide show capabilities and of course all HTML5.

I don't understand it myself either. I don't know if there were internal problems with Galleries for Apple to keep on fixing, but since they didn't axe it when iCloud was introduced it seems more like laziness. Therefore I have sent feedback on Apple's website and even emailed to employees requesting not to axe Galleries.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bill42 View Post

I agree. I am ready to migrate my galleries to iCloud Apple. Just tell me how!

There is no how-to; June 30 is still the day it is being discontinued.

Quote:

There are alternatives out there that could prove to be even better than Galleries.

Can you please share some links. I would love to try out all alternatives before shedding tears on June 30.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gyorpb View Post

Apple are discontinuing MobileMe whether you switch over or not, but if you switch, you get to keep using the MobileMe features that are missing from iCloud (iDisk, Galleries) until the very end.Be that as it may, I for one will be sad to see Galleries go. They were great-looking, easy to use and very well integrated into Aperture and iPhoto.

.tsooJ

Hear hear Joost. Fully agree, and cannot understand why they want to axe it. As usual, there's no explanation as to why from Apple. A shame.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    I have a perfectly good iPhone which is less than three years old that will not take iOS5 so I cannot have iCloud On it. I have a brand new iMac, but my main program, Quark Xpress will not run in Lion. I have InDesign but I think it is cr@p. Apple are in too much of a hurry to get everyone on iCloud. It will cause me a lot of problems.