iPad 3 a worthwhile purchase..when its available!!

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Hi, I enjoy my iPad2 a lot!

My wife and I have 6 Apple devices between us!!!

She is thinking an iPad might be more convenient for than her MBPro.

As the 3 is imminent, I thought I might passover my 2 to her, minus my 100 odd apps, sell the Pro and get the 3 when it arrives in March ( March still likely?)

The 3 looks to offer a lot of improvements, but to her, the 2 will still offer all that she needs!

I will still retain my MacBook Pro, it's a great machine and with a 500 gig HD, takes a lot of beating!

One question, I do find the 32 gig capacity of my 3 a bit limiting, would you go for 64 gig 3??

Ron

ps as a photographer who travels a lot, I need all the capacity I can get, and the MBP is pretty heavy to lug overseas!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    It sounds to me that an iPad 3 would work for you if you are just using it for photos. I'm also thinking the iPad 3 might be 128GB since the 4S is up to 64GB, but they are pushing iCloud pretty hard.

On a side note from a fellow iPad 2 32GB Verizon owner, I found that when I first got it I couldn't put it down but now I hardly use the thing except to check my email and Pulse. I have migrated back to my computer for most tasks. On a side note you might consider a Mac Book Air if you are looking for storage and portability.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I'd like to chime in here. I've seen that a lot of people go from using their iPad a ton to hardly using it at all. That's not always the case, however. I had my iPad 2 for almost a year (just sold it) and I used it productively every day. It replaced my laptop. I used it for school, work, fun, entertainment, everything.

So I say go for the iPad 3

And yes, get the 64 (or 128 if available)
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Yeah, 32GB minimum, 64GB preferred, 128GB guaranteed no worries For myself, I'm trying every day to kid myself that I won't buy an iPad on launch day in Australia (which should be on the next tier of launch countries after the US)... The queue at the Apple Store here will probably be about 4 blocks at least. Boy, it will be an early, early morning for me that day.

Told you I'm trying not to think about it, but I guess in my mind I'm already planning to queuing up. *sigh*
  • Reply 4 of 7
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    128GB would be nice but just give me an SD or Mini SD slot and I would be more then satisfied. It bewilderd's me as to why Apple decided to exclude this on the original iPad or iPad 2. I have 2 64GB cards for my Asus Slider making the total memory to 96GB when 1 is inserted, which is awesome.

I love my tablets and use them more then my laptop however on my Asus tablet I do have Ubuntu linux in a dual boot configuration. It actually runs quite well for only having 1GB of memory and a overclocked ARM cpu at 1.5GHZ. It really is quite bitchen to write apps for Android on the same device that you are going to use with said apps. I think the problem with iOS is that it's missing to many features that a normal desktop takes for granted.

I highly recommend a tablet running Android 4.2 with a built in keyboard, something like the Asus Transformer Prime or Asus Slider. Android 4.2 on a tablet feels more like a traditional computer, with a filemanger, customizable desktop, ability to do what you want without all those iOS restrictions. Why Apple doesnt have something as simple as a filemanager for iOS is just retarted.

I fully understand why people loose interest in their iPads after a while, there is just to many things missing from the OS, plus it's just to locked down for anyones taste and who and the hell wants to use a music application to move, delete or copy data, lame.

Yes I have a iPod 2, a 3g 64GB, I use it for music creation and for that one purpose it's awsome.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I fully understand why people loose interest in their iPads after a while, there is just to many things missing from the OS, plus it's just to locked down for anyones taste and who and the hell wants to use a music application to move, delete or copy data, lame.

Yes I have a iPod 2, a 3g 64GB, I use it for music creation and for that one purpose it's awsome.

Just a comment!

Firstly I would NEVER buy an Android device of any kind! As Steve famously said, Google and the Android gang are nothing but slavish copiers!

That goes for Samsung with the (fair only) Galaxy tablet.

What about some development of your own Android people, instead of being a copier!!

Secondly, I can't understand why anyone would drop off using an iPad 1 2 or 3 (when out)!!

I have 6 Apple devices and somehow find time to use them all!!

Ron Ocean Grove, Australia.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    It's a difference in philosophy. People who get bored with the iPad tend to become so because they expect it to do much more than what it does. People that love the iPad do so because it does more than what they expect.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

128GB would be nice but just give me an SD or Mini SD slot and I would be more then satisfied. It bewilderd's me as to why Apple decided to exclude this on the original iPad or iPad 2. I have 2 64GB cards for my Asus Slider making the total memory to 96GB when 1 is inserted, which is awesome.

I love my tablets and use them more then my laptop however on my Asus tablet I do have Ubuntu linux in a dual boot configuration. It actually runs quite well for only having 1GB of memory and a overclocked ARM cpu at 1.5GHZ. It really is quite bitchen to write apps for Android on the same device that you are going to use with said apps. I think the problem with iOS is that it's missing to many features that a normal desktop takes for granted.

I highly recommend a tablet running Android 4.2 with a built in keyboard, something like the Asus Transformer Prime or Asus Slider. Android 4.2 on a tablet feels more like a traditional computer, with a filemanger, customizable desktop, ability to do what you want without all those iOS restrictions. Why Apple doesnt have something as simple as a filemanager for iOS is just retarted.

• Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

It's a difference in philosophy. People who get bored with the iPad tend to become so because they expect it to do much more than what it does. People that love the iPad do so because it does more than what they expect.

I think most people are not exploring the full potential of the iPad to begin with.

The one thing I would like to see for the iPad is a well integrated keyboard dock with extra battery, similar to the ASUS Transformer.

For 75% of my needs, that combo, along with my iPhone, could easily replace my PC.

I am all about the post PC era. I know there are people that need hardcore content creation software, so a PC is a must, but I am not one of those people.