Rumor: Apple may charge $80 more for 'iPad 3' with Retina Display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KT Walrus View Post

Seems to me the iPad 3 has to be the same price or lower than the previous model. And, the 1 year old model should be $70 or so cheaper than the new model (and $100 cheaper would really boost sales more than $70 off).

It would be a mistake to raise prices, in the light of the Samsung competition (which is starting to attract my attention).

Typically you shouldn't raise prices but if the other option is to not release the HiDPI display until 2013 or 2014 then that becomes an issue. They could fold in double the NAND flash but then you're talking about likely raising it up an even $100 per unit and losing the up sale. All that's without considering that people tend to think that capacity should double every year for free.

Consider why the iPad 3 would be more costly and then wonder if that extra value is worth an 8 to 16% price increase? Now consider the popularity of the device and how Apple has been selling them so quickly that perhaps they entered the market at too low a cost that even those that would be turned off by an 8 to 16% price increase for the extra components would still result in Apple selling the same number of units either way. Now consider Samsung et al. trying to compete against the iPad's 2048x1536 display with a 1280x800 display.

The only other option I can see is only having the HiDPI display in the high-end iPads to hid the cost but that causes its own issues and if you have the ability to make enough of the new displays you might as well capitalize on it, especially if you've invested billions in getting them made.
  • Reply 22 of 195
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm worried about this.

Are you kidding me?

The iPad 3 is going to sell like hotcakes, even if it's $580. Do you really think that $80 is going to change anybody's mind, besides a couple of people?
  • Reply 23 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I think the screen on my iPad 2 looks amazing. I'll be skipping the iPad 3.

I agree that the iPad 2 screen looks great, I'm perfectly happy with mine too. But I wonder how much more amazing the iPad 3 screen looks. Four times the amount of pixels seems insane. I guess we'll find out how great the iPad 3 screen looks soon enough.
  • Reply 24 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

Just trying to rectify the various rumors about the A5X chip and the A6 quad core chip.

Those rumors, if there is any vein of truth to them, could be A5x for a revamped Apple TV and A6 for the iPad.

As for the pricing, my guess is that the amounts are on there because to get any kind of insurance on a shipment you have to declare a value on the items inside. And that value is typically tied to the area the products are shipping in. As in China. As in, Apple has to pay taxes etc that would raise the price over what the US price would be. The value of the iPad 2 may be lower because they have scaled it to the new retail price once the iPad 3 releases and what we are seeing is the new pricing plus the taxes for China. But in the US it will be the same $499 scale for the iPad 3 and something lower for the iPad 2 which will be in clearance (other than perhaps a single iPad 2 wifi model in a move similar to the iPhone 3gs and iPhone 4 system).

Or this whole thing could be totally fake
  • Reply 25 of 195
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    $500 is a psychological barrier for many. I would be surprised if Apple crossed that threshold by adding $80.
  • Reply 26 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I think the screen on my iPad 2 looks amazing. I'll be skipping the iPad 3.

The original iPhone screen looked great, too, and it had a substantially higher PPI than the current iPad, but we all saw how much better the display got with the iPhone 4. Of course, part of that was moving to IPS over TN.
  • Reply 27 of 195
    This forum would be better without the stupid f'in animated smileys.
  • Reply 28 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

$500 is a psychological barrier for many. I would be surprised if Apple crossed that threshold by adding $80.

From what I've seen an uncommon number of buyers are going for the high-end models over the bas models so I don't think 8 to 16% is going to make a difference when they see the difference.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post

Says the guy who hasn't addressed the article or conversation.

• Reply 29 of 195
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Increased labour costs?

My thoughts exactly. Somebody has to pay for higher wages at the Foxconn factories. We'll see if the "activists" put their money where their mouths are.
  • Reply 30 of 195
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm worried about this.

I am guessing you are being sarcastic? But if the price of the iP3 is going up by $80.- (which at this point is a rumour), it might lend credence to the suggestion that the ip2 will stay around at a lower price.
  • Reply 31 of 195
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Will you guys EVER learn math?

A retina display that has double the dpi has FOUR TIMES THE RESOLUTION, not double the resolution, because resolution goes by the square. e.g. You have a 1 by 1 square pixel and now that will become a 2 by 2 square if you double the dpi; but a 2 by 2 contains 4 pixels while a 1 by 1 contains 1 pixel; as you see the resolution, i.e. pixel count is quadrupled not doubled.

As you can see, this can be solved without the use of advanced math; yet AI gets this CONSISTENTLY WRONG. Would the editors please take note?
  • Reply 32 of 195
    Quote:

I agree. $499 still seems like "toy money" and very doable, but when the price is over $600 with tax......that's too much. I've been waiting for the retina display, but I'll be passing if it comes out at $580.
  • Reply 33 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I am guessing you are being sarcastic? But if the price of the iP3 is going up by $80.- (which at this point is a rumour), it might lend credence to the suggestion that the ip2 will stay around at a lower price.

Nope, I'm genuinely worried. Apple needs to keep "This Year's Model" at the same price regardless of keeping around an old model.
  • Reply 34 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Will you guys EVER learn math?

A retina display that has double the dpi has FOUR TIMES THE RESOLUTION, not double the resolution, because resolution goes by the square. e.g. You have a 1 by 1 square pixel and now that will become a 2 by 2 square if you double the dpi; but a 2 by 2 contains 4 pixels while a 1 by 1 contains 1 pixel; as you see the resolution, i.e. pixel count is quadrupled not doubled.

As you can see, this can be solved without the use of advanced math; yet AI gets this CONSISTENTLY WRONG. Would the editors please take note?

We've discussed this before. You are wrong. Resolution is not synonymous with pixel count. Resolution is the measure of two dimensions. You can get a pixel value from the resolution but you can't get a resolution from the number of pixels. Therefore resolution is 2x, PPI is 2x (because it only refers to one dimension), but pixel count is 4x.
  • Reply 35 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post

When you wrote your post, the only person to have used smilies so far in this thread was me. I love smilies!

Based on your comment, I have a present for you.

• Reply 36 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

We'll see if the "activists" put their money where their mouths are.

I think that we all already know the answer to that one.
  • Reply 37 of 195
    Quote:

Don't forget... $499 is the starting price for the iPad.

Apple currently sells many 32GB and 64GB iPads and 3G iPads which are all above $499
  • Reply 38 of 195
    wow. SO many apple apologists...

Apple already makes a hefty margin on these. Considering the Android onslaught, they should accept a reduced profit in exchange for getting more of their product out there.
  • Reply 39 of 195
    $500 is a psychological barrier?

Well, a super hi-res retina display also represents a technological barrier that has never before been broken. So, if a $500 psychological barrier is more important to you than a never before seen technological barrier, then the iPad 3 is definitely not for you.
  • Reply 40 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

$80 bucks more or less makes zero difference to me and it doesn't matter to the majority of Apple users either. If the extra tech included in the iPad 3 warrants the increase in price, then so be it. Those who want an iPad 3 will get one, and those that don't, well they won't.

I don't read anything funny in that statement.

Quote:

Perhaps. They did just get 25% raises didn't they?

Is that funny?

Quote:

The iPad 3 is going to sell like hotcakes, even if it's $580. Do you really think that $80 is going to change anybody's mind, besides a couple of people?

Is that funny?

(Is this where I'm supposed to insert the "smokey" smiley? - I have such a hard time expressing myself with mere written English.)