** Christmas Thread **

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What do you like the most about the Xmas?

Food? Solitude? Company? Having some time to do whatever you want (including with computers)? Being with your parents or kids etc?

What do you like least in Xmas then?

What are you going to do around it? Just something traditional (the traditions are different everywhere) or nothing? Spending time with family? Alone? cooking a lot? Late shopping? Watching tv??

Anything??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13

[ 12-25-2002: Message edited by: trevorM ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Everyone is usually happy, and its nice to just take it easy and not worry about anything.

What I love:
    • Getting up early because of all the little kids in the neighbourhood

• On Chrsitmas eve watching the Christmas Carols on TV, after chruch (The only time I go) and having a Ham Sandwich with the family

• Granparents

• Food

What I dont like
    • The day ending

Whats Happening[LIST][*]Lunch with family[*]Christmas party at friends house xmas night[*]Bike Ride or Run around beach etc
  • Reply 3 of 13
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    i like

-movies (they show many good even in telly)

-some of the foods

-relax

-being able to decide to celebrate it or NOT celebrate it at all. so, surfing all day is ok if i like it.. sushi is ok if i like it etc.

-xmas red looks nice

dislike

-shopping and artificiality

-to be obbliqued to eat too much

-seeing those relatives who don't do just their business but keep on talking bad behind the backs of the people.. they don0t seem to change for xmas

-the cold and dark out

-the postcards on paper. they are for people who have nothing to say during all year, so if all they have to say to me would be "merry christmas" why not to say it any other time of the year? i get the impression that i'm remembered only for sending postcards, and i hate that impression thus my mum is the only person i send a paper postcard to (she does not use email) .. all the others will get an e-xmas card
  • Reply 4 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Well I'm Jewish so the only thing I usually do on Christmas is hang out with my Jewish friends and go out for dinner or something with my parents.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    What I like about Christmas (and the time surrounding it):

- Everyone seems a bit nicer, on balance

- I like the colors and store displays, from a design point of view

- I like a lot of the songs

- I like the smells (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, evergreen, etc. People smell good. Lots of cologne and perfume, I've noticed.)

- Prime people-watching time at malls and other retail locations. In particular, prime sophisticated, soccer mom (what's that acronym again?) scoping opportunities at said malls and other retail locations. In their leather jackets, short spunky hair, black boots, sexy dark nail polish, etc.

What I don't like about Christmas (take nearly everything above and apply the opposite):

- For all the people who seem nicer and more generous, there is also that small group of people who ruin it for everyone else by being obnoxious, impatient and pushy buttheads (at malls, parking lots, restaurants, etc.)

- By the time December 20th rolls around, I'm pretty much sick of green and red. But I still dig purple, gold and silver.

- I hate a lot of the songs

- I hate the smells (wrapping paper, car exhaust, some people who go shopping and seem to have forgotten to shower or apply deodorant, etc.)

As for the people-watching and soccer mom ogling, those remain constant, no matter what.

• Reply 6 of 13
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Hey!!! i've got NO SPAM today!!! Hooray!! Spammers are on holiday!!!
  • Reply 7 of 13
    xenuxenu Posts: 204member
    Ah, it's over, and we can relax.

I cannot watch christmas carols. They would have to be the worst songs ever written.

I rarely watch tv at the best of times (my widescreen tv and 6 speakers are primarily for dvd's). Christmas tv is just awful - benchmarked by prime time tv which is also awful. So on christmas eve we watched disk 4 of the LOTR extended version dvd.

Spent a lovely day with the family, giving out lots of gifts to the children, who have no idea who gave them what!

It was madness. I received Santana's Shaman, which I just converted to mp3's.

Our food contribution was dessert - home made chocolates, cherry ripe slice, and such. Yum.

A good day. Sunny and 28 degrees Celcius. It's really the one day of the year the whole family - mothers, brothers, cousins, aunties, nieces, nephews ... get together.

However ...

The Two Towers starts today, and we are seeing it this morning!!!

[ 12-25-2002: Message edited by: xenu ]

[ 12-25-2002: Message edited by: xenu ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 13
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Well...time for me to chime in

On 23rd.....went to some "strangers' " house for dinner.....the food was FANTASTIC!

Then on 24th and today....I was invited to a *very traditional* Danish Christmas family gathering. Going to PowerApple's mom's and sister's places......This is ONLY intended for his own family and I am the very first "stranger from outside" got invited to this party. Feeling so honored

Of course I gotta do something.....spent 4 hours to clean up his mom's house.....

Find it kind of funny that to Danish 24th is more important than 25th

Now I am back to "my" place and lay back.....

Too bad there is no boxing day tradtion (half price shopping) like from Canada in Denmark

[ 12-25-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    How's the trip going, Leonis?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    The trip is going fine.....Have met PowerApple (of course....I am staying at his place ) and his family....and also Kelib

Did a LOT of walking around.....Like 6 hours of walk per day! :eek:

Went to a lot of galleries....castles....etc etc...and took a lot of pictures....but will be more....

Now waiting for the New Year party. After that I should be heading to other Scandanvian countries (norway, sweden, finnland) and then go back to Copenhagen two days before my trip ends....then clean up everything and head back to Canada....
  • Reply 11 of 13
    rooroo Posts: 162member
    24th is more important to my family too. every year we go into the castro in san francisco and see the <a href="http://www.sfgmc.org/"; target="_blank">sfgmc</a> followed by dinner at the red grill. its really a great feeling of community-- real "holiday spirit". we opened presents when we got back, and then this morning dropped my dad off at the airport so he can visit his folks. while christmas is, of course, a major marker, i always associate this time of year with macworld. can't wait for it this year-- staying at the W so i don't have to commute in (that's the best xmas gift for me!). hehe, i realized when talking to a friend today that the only pic of jack i have access to out here is his pic on the aicommunity page. sheesh.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Mulattabianca:

<strong>What do you like the most about the Xmas?

Food? Solitude? Company? Having some time to do whatever you want (including with computers)? Being with your parents or kids etc?

What do you like least in Xmas then?

What are you going to do around it? Just something traditional (the traditions are different everywhere) or nothing? Spending time with family? Alone? cooking a lot? Late shopping? Watching tv??

Anything??</strong><hr></blockquote>

I like presents...

- - - - - - - - - - - -

iBooks and eMacs and OS X Kittens,

Bright Shiny Power Books and DVD tit'n's

My brand new Mac, tied up with G-strings

These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels

Wonder Bra's with sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles

Wild iPod Mods that fly with my mind on its wings

Girls in white dresses that stand in the rain

10.2.3 patches that take away all of my pain

Silvery white Macworlds bring Macs in the Spring

When my buddy chats

When my tunes play

When I'm feeling sad

I simply remember my favorite things...
  • Reply 13 of 13
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    its a public holiday and I dun need to go work.

Sob. But Christmas is over now.