Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion: a Preview of how Apple is improving file renaming

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014

Along with integrated support for iCloud, this summer's release of OS X Mountain Lion rethinks the document title bar to enable changing file names, and also (finally!) adds file name editing to open and save dialogs.

Rename files everywhere!

Along with the new, graphical document selector for iCloud, Preview also shows off two features that resolve a long standing irritation with the complication of renaming files.

Mountain Lion's modernized save and open file dialogs now allow you to rename any files (and folders) in the standard file system directly, rather than having to make a trip to the Finder. Just click twice and the name becomes editable.

Even better, Apple has now extended the Versions pulldown of the document's title bar to add options to rename a file directly from its title bar, or alternatively move it, or undo all changes, in addition to Duplicate, Lock and Browse Saved Versions. The new title bar menu is below right, compared to Lion's below left. Below both is an example of a Preview document being renamed from the title bar.

The changes to Mountain Lion title bars also make it easier for non technical users to understand how to safely duplicate an existing document when they don't want to change the original, enhancing the experience of working with Version-enabled, Auto Save files.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Mountain Lion's modernized save and open file dialogs now allow you to rename any files (and folders) in the standard file system directly, rather than having to make a trip to the Finder. Just click twice and the name becomes editable.

Windows has allowed this for...forever.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Whoop de frick. We don't use Windows here. If your comments were any more polarized, I'd've thought the Mayan 2012 nonsense had started early.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    Quote:

But we don't allow Windows. lol
  • Reply 4 of 65
    Still there is not quick way to rename or save as file with shortcut key: shift+command+s in Apple's application shortcut key http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343
  • Reply 5 of 65
    Quote:

Didnt you read Apple modernize it. They will patent it soon
  • Reply 6 of 65
    Glad to see Apple is catching up here.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chudq View Post

Still there is not quick way to rename or save as file with shortcut key: shift+command+s in Apple's application shortcut key http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343

The Apple support is for Mac OS X, not OS X.
  • Reply 8 of 65
    I'd sure love to be able to delete files in the open dialog box. Sometimes when I'm looking to open a file, I come across a file that I'd like to delete and I then have to get out of the open dialog box, remember it, find it, and delete it. Seems like a lot of unnecessary steps...
  • Reply 9 of 65
    Quote:

Um, I suppose if you don't count the decades when you had to be VERY careful what you named your files in Windows and what you WEREN'T ALLOWED TO name them it might be a checkmark in the Windows column, unlike Mac systems, ah, always, but no.

Very nice that you WIndows users have always had so many third party file manager shells to make it less of a headache.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Mountain Lion's modernized save and open file dialogs now allow you to rename any files (and folders) in the standard file system directly, rather than having to make a trip to the Finder.

HOORAY! About F*cking time!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We don't use Windows here.

Speak for yourself. I use Windows almost every day and recognise the [very, very small number of] ways in which it is superior to OS X.
  • Reply 11 of 65
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Windows ... oh you mean that OS that MS developed from the original Mac OS it ripped off? Having said that, I remember how file naming in Windblows was very, very horrible for a very long time.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sportyguy209 View Post

I'd sure love to be able to delete files in the open dialog box. Sometimes when I'm looking to open a file, I come across a file that I'd like to delete and I then have to get out of the open dialog box, remember it, find it, and delete it. Seems like a lot of unnecessary steps...

Neat idea! Although a potentially dangerous one maybe, having seen the level of understanding many have. Maybe as Mac OS X get's more iOS like Apple should consider an advanced mode that you can toggle on (with password and a signed acceptance lol) that gives back many things ... e.g. access to ~/Library without the need to use Go every time ...
  • Reply 13 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

HOORAY! About F*cking time!

Speak for yourself. I use Windows almost every day and recognise the [very, very small number of] ways in which it is superior to OS X.

love your post. I too have to suffer Windows ... you must send me the list of the few things ... I've yet to find any!
  • Reply 14 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Whoop de frick. We don't use Windows here. If your comments were any more polarized, I'd've thought the Mayan 2012 nonsense had started early.

Excuse my surprise. It just seems like a minor and necessary ability to me. I was honestly unaware that OS X wasn't able to do it.

Was this as big a challenge for Apple as cut and paste?
  • Reply 15 of 65
    Quote:

Excuse my surprise. It just seems like a minor and necessary ability to me. I was honestly unaware that OS X wasn't able to do it.

Yes it was
  • Reply 16 of 65
    Quote:

I think you may be misunderstanding, OS X has always been able to change file names easily, it is just a bit tricky if you don't know how so this I see as a simplification as more Mac users come on board.

Apple were using Cut and Paste when PC users didn't know what a mouse was. Come to think of it I was doing it on Apple ][s when there was no PC.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sportyguy209 View Post

I'd sure love to be able to delete files in the open dialog box.

You can't do that on a Mac?
  • Reply 18 of 65
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

love your post. I too have to suffer Windows ... you must send me the list of the few things ... I've yet to find any!

Well, with 10.8 now allowing you to rename files in open/save dialogues, the list of Windows superiorities has shrunk considerably

In Windows, open/save dialogues have full Windows Explorer functionality, enabling you to move, rename and delete files directly in said open/save dialogues rather than having to switch to Explorer "proper" and back again.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    I am slightly puzzled to how easily the most basic operations seem to qualify as feature-worthy.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jarman View Post

I am slightly puzzled to how easily the most basic operations seem to qualify as feature-worthy.

Quiet news day maybe? Apple only up $7 so far ...