Any thoughts on possible new display offers

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
My thoughts are:

15" LCD - gone or lowered to $299

17" LCD - lowered to $599-699

19" LCD - not enough demand

22" LCD - lower to $1999? Most likely, but I'd get one at $999. ( Iguess I'll have to wait a couple years)

24" LCD - Samsung has had it ready for almost a year on their site as an OEM product.

Other ideas:

ADC/VGA connector on PB?

OLED?

Apple branded projector? iPod sized? $999 1024x768

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by JasonPP:

<strong>My thoughts are:

15" LCD - gone or lowered to $299

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why gone? I think apple should also start to offer discounted prices permantly when buying a powermac and a display
  • Reply 2 of 10
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Gone because of the iMac. Why buy a tower and 15" monitor when the fricking iMac would be the cheaper deal??
  • Reply 3 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>Gone because of the iMac. Why buy a tower and 15" monitor when the fricking iMac would be the cheaper deal??</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, if the PM is 1600, and the 15" is 300, then the PM w/15" is only $100 more than the high end iMac...and that's worht it for a low-end Power machine.

Unless by then the iMac goes down in price.

Basically it'll be gone, cause thats not enough difference in price for Apple.

Andrew
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Unfortunately, it appears LCD prices are set to rise this year...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I doubt LCD prices will rise, since computer sales aren't really taking off, and they've been rumored to be about to rise for the past six months or so, and it hasn't happened yet...
  • Reply 6 of 10
    "Gone becuase of the iMac" makes sense... but I think that gone "becuase of the dock" makes more sense.

Everybody knows that the best place to put the dock is on the left-hand side.

Everyone will eventually put it there. Only Steve Jobs keeps it at the bottom, and that's just for keynotes.

Most "good" software created is designed to work on a 1024 X 768 monitor (note-not "Great" software-more on this later).

So we need more space, left-to-right, on the smallest monitor.

We need widescreen.

===

What we also need is 300dpi resolution and 600-1 contrast ratios, making monitors easier on the eyes during hard days coding world class websites on the universes best hardware.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by amidala:

<strong>

Well, if the PM is 1600, and the 15" is 300, then the PM w/15" is only $100 more than the high end iMac...and that's worht it for a low-end Power machine.

Unless by then the iMac goes down in price.

Basically it'll be gone, cause thats not enough difference in price for Apple.

Andrew</strong><hr></blockquote>

$100 more for a CD tower or $100 less for a superdrive iMac? mm, tough decision

• Reply 8 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by Bozo the Clown:

<strong>I doubt LCD prices will rise, since computer sales aren't really taking off, and they've been rumored to be about to rise for the past six months or so, and it hasn't happened yet...</strong><hr></blockquote>

"Larger screens blamed for LCD shortage"

<a href="http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/01/10/020110hnlcd3.xml"; target="_blank">http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/01/10/020110hnlcd3.xml</a>;
  • Reply 9 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by JasonPP:

<strong>24" LCD - Samsung has had it ready for almost a year on their site as an OEM product.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The problem is that Apple LCD displays are the cream of the crop LCD displays -- they use panels that are much less prone to changing brightness/color when viewed from different angles, etc. (They have to at least TRY to appease the graphics market...) I've heard that the 24" Samsung really isn't that good, and is probably too poor of a panel to find its way into an Apple display.

Alex
  • Reply 10 of 10
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    I kept my dock on the left at first, but then I had so much stuff that to keep the icons discernable I decided to put it on the bottom. I like it there just fine.

Anyway, back on topic, 15" Studio Displays will stay, as iMac prices will drop, and the advent of G5s (or at least Apollos) will bring huge gains to the Power Mac margins. And a Power Mac G5 / 15" display is much better than an iMac, for Apple.