Apple to hold March 7 iPad event in San Francisco

Comments

• Reply 161 of 230
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I just had this idea that iPad two would debut via excutives in NY and CA holding a Facetime conferenece while out on the street somewhere. If iPad 3 has the high resolution screens and cameras rumored, that might be an excellent way to show off those features.

IPad 3 might have an unconventional debut.
  • Reply 162 of 230
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

"20% chance: NFC comes to iPad 3 (not ready for primetime)"

I think that NFC is important... Not so much that the iPad will be used as an electronic wallet -- rather the iPad is used as an NFC terminal/POST that communicates to the electronic wallet, etc.

To me that sounds like a waste of a truly revolutionary announcement. This is one of those things the dissenters will lambaste Apple for not being first despite getting all the credit because they won't see that when Apple enters into NFC on the iPhone they will have worked out the HW, OS integration, 3rd-party support and ease-of-use to make it a viable option not just a me-too feature that was stapled on to appeal to the Spec Sheet gods.
  • Reply 163 of 230
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Here's a thought: certain specs in the mobile space ("specs" being what everybody but Apple use to differentiate their products) are being taken off the table.

For phones and tablets, there are only certain sizes that work. Sure, manufacturers can play around with 6" phablets or 13" mega tablets, but for ease of use and portability (which are primary concerns for this market) about 5" tops for a phone and 11" tops for a tablet is it.

Then, retina. Once you can no longer see individual pixels, increasing the resolution is pointless. Not that Samsung, say, won't happily try to sell you a 4k 10" tablet, but..... pointless.

There can still be a lot of increase in processors, graphics and memory, but Apple seems to have done a great job optimizing for their silicon as it is. You don't hear too many people complaining that the iPad or iPhone are slow and balky, and hardware improvements will likely serve increasingly sophisticated apps, rather than speed up general system performance.

So now we begin to enter a new era. These devices will have to compete on user experience and actual abilities, rather than "specs." The new mega-giga Android phone or tablet isn't going to be materially better than the last one, unless there are real improvements in the OS, the apps available, and the ecosystem. Apple is selling a system which it is improving as a system. Android is selling hardware for which obvious improvements are going to slow way down.
  • Reply 164 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

No, we can start with new Macs rumors

its easier to combine the two rumors into one.

New ipads are going to be intel or

New macs are going to ARM

oh wait, those rumors already exist
  • Reply 165 of 230
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

God that screenshot looks so fucking lickable..

lol!
  • Reply 166 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

4 x area for sure ...

Same area, it is density.. Or some might say, resolution
  • Reply 167 of 230
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Same area, it is density.. Or some might say, resolution

Take a screenshot and e-mail it and it then becomes area, meta meta meta...
  • Reply 168 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yes, I agree that almost all censorship is wrong.

They are my grandkids, BTW.

Rather than control what they see, my daughter and I are trying to prepare them for what they see... so they can learn, understand and determine how to conduct themselves in polite society and the real world.

We are less concerned about [healthy/natural] sex -- than bigotry, any kind of stereotyping/profiling and antisocial behavior.

One particular galling stereotype is the kid-centric shows where the kids are smart, have access to everything and parents/adults are portrayed as out-of-touch oafs -- whose only purpose is to support the kids' every desire... a portrayal of self-indulgence and lack of respect for anything/anyone.

As an example of what we are trying to do: we have the mini-series Roots. We want the family to watch this together and to be able, where necessary, discuss and try to explain/understand...

There are several war movies that are quite graphic -- we want the kids to see these and understand...

Then, there are just the opposite -- movies/TV that we want the whole family to experience together -- because of the various emotions they invoke.

Cool.

I was worried after I posted that I was being overly strident and preachy etc. (as I am wont to do sometimes), so it's good that I didn't offend you and that we mostly agree on these things.

I think we are likely from the same generation too.
  • Reply 169 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I just had this idea that iPad two would debut via excutives in NY and CA holding a Facetime conferenece while out on the street somewhere. If iPad 3 has the high resolution screens and cameras rumored, that might be an excellent way to show off those features.

IPad 3 might have an unconventional debut.

Nah that's boring. They might show slides of photos if it's an 8MP on the rear though. They'll mention FaceTime HD.
  • Reply 170 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Nice observation!

I don't think that was their reasoning.
  • Reply 171 of 230
    What I really want;

Retina/LTE/8m Camera/Same Price/Better CPU/GPU

What might have;

Quadcore

What will make it the ultimate update;

1g Ram, 128g version
  • Reply 172 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hari5 View Post

The icon spacing in the invitation image is impossible to achieve in landscape mode. They are showing it in the portrait mode. Even the icon falls right on the same water drop that iPad 2 falls while being used in portrait mode. The similar scenario happens with the reflection on the dock.

And addition to that as I have mentioned earlier, it's impossible to get the same icon spacing in landscape mode. There seems to be NO home button. And I guess that also correlates with the reference in advertisement "And touch". This mention feels very generic because every one knows that it's touch oriented device unless iPad 3 is now can be entirely controlled via "touch".

I see two major flaws with the theory that Apple is killing the home button on the iPad. One is that all the work arounds are more difficult than just clicking the button. Nothing in the iOS user interface has gone from easy to hard, instead, changes go from hard to easy.

Second, developers haven't been told that this is the case, and there is not a developer version of iOS 5 that works around a missing home button. There would be a heads up if this was to happen, and a forking of iOS for just the iPad 3, so despite the online photoshop experts I don't see Apple dropping the home button next week.
  • Reply 173 of 230
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Struggling to make connection between media in list...

What's the struggle? They are all medias. Which means they all lied/exaggerated/spun something at one time or another. They would do that on different issues as they have different bias. But their MO are the same.
  • Reply 174 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm betting on a 1080p AppleTV and 1080p iTS content also being announced. Seems ideal for all three this time.

Add iTunes extras working on the iPad and apple tv. Plus 720p being he new SD (at the SD price) and I'm in
  • Reply 175 of 230
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    I don't know, but I'm feeling a few new colors of iPads coming on?

Skip
  • Reply 176 of 230
    And pay no attention to the 15-year-old girl whose hands have been ruined using a toxic chemical to clean your new iPad's pristine little screen? After all, it's not like any of us will ever have to see the useless claws she'll have for hands by the time she'd be graduating from high school in a sane society.

And anyhow, didn't that handsome actor with the big nose and nice pecs (sorry, "journalist") on Nightline (owned by NBC, owned by Disney, controlled by Apple) just visit one factory (six weeks after acquiring permission from a authoritarian government, with a stealth crew of 50), and tell us it's all fine and we don't have to care about it? After all, if they don't see themselves as being mistreated because all their other options are even worse, that makes it ok, right?

My solution to this dilemma is simple: I'm going to buy one luscious new iPad as soon as I can afford two. That way I can do what the corporations I have to do business with will not: help people who aren't as lucky as (terminally ill, unemployed, lonely, angry, with marginal access to healthcare) I am. It turns out that there are organizations full of better people than I who use even small amounts of money to do the sort of right thing I've never bothered doing. Who knew?

It seems to me I've spent most of my life being kind of an asshole. No doubt I still am. (Who but an asshole would write this, right?) It's just that now that I have nothing to do all day and chronic pain is keeping me up most of the night and there's an awful lot of time to think but not many days left in which to think it, I've discovered that thinking about a young person trapped in something very like my circumstances makes me cry.

I guess I'd like every young person to have the opportunity to be a self-involved jerk like I was. Not notably evil, mind you? Just selfish, vain, entitled, obsessed with getting laid, and very busy buying shit, nearly all of which ends up in the trash within six months. I'd like those kids on the line in Shenzhen to spend 4 hours a day working, 4 hours in school, and the rest of their waking hours gossiping, flirting, and spending a reasonable portion of their excellent wages on cool clothes, makeup, and contraception. And if they remember to put in a couple of hours a week trying to make a better world for the children they may choose to have when they're ready, well, that'd be kind of beautiful, wouldn't it?
  • Reply 177 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

So announcing on 3/7 makes this an iPad 7 and thus a 7" iPad. That was easy.

Maybe it's 3/7ths scale! That makes it....uh...roughly....the size of an iPod Touch...
  • Reply 178 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

... So now we begin to enter a new era. These devices will have to compete on user experience and actual abilities, rather than "specs." The new mega-giga Android phone or tablet isn't going to be materially better than the last one, unless there are real improvements in the OS, the apps available, and the ecosystem. Apple is selling a system which it is improving as a system. Android is selling hardware for which obvious improvements are going to slow way down.

I agree.

As much as I'm going to buy a new iPad the first second they are available, I'm not really seeing a great material improvement even in this model over the last.

Even with iPad 2 I already can't get my eyes close enough to the screen to even see pixels before I can't focus on the thing anyway. Other than some problems with long documents in Pages I have no real issues with the memory footprint or the horsepower of the iPad 2 either.

I'll be getting a new one because my current iPad 2 is dented and scratched and because the new one will likely be snappier by a smidgen, but I'm not really expecting anything that new or different. There are already (for me) no "must have" reasons to buy an iPad 3.
  • Reply 179 of 230
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Add iTunes extras working on the iPad and apple tv. Plus 720p being he new SD (at the SD price) and I'm in

Apple has a couple ways to go here and I think retaining the SD open still makes sense do to the file size.

They can go with 1080p that isn't too far from the kbps of their 720p. We see this with Xbox Live and YouTube and surely other vendors that want to stream 1080p "Full" HD as a marketing ploy even if it's a lower kbps than Apple's iTS content. Or they could go with a nice jump in quality for 1080p but I think they'd likely charge $1 more for their 1080p content.
  • Reply 180 of 230
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Is it too early to hope the new SoC will be A15 based? Or architecturally similar to one at least? A quad A9 would be less exciting than a dual A15-ish design, as we've seen why.

A15 has nothing to offer Apple.

Quote:

Also what about the GPU, it has 4x the resolution to push, a 543MP4 would "only" have double the power. Too early for the SGX 600 series with 20x the raw power? If its the former it would be like the 3GS-4 where the latter has so much higher resolution it takes a hit in 3D apps.

Go look up specs on Intels latest ATOM and it's GPU. Intel massively increased clock rate with a process shrink. Apple could easily hit 4x or more performance increase.

Quote:

RAM is the one thing I would not like to compromise on though, the rest of it they can get around but we can already see the effects of low RAM in Safari redrawing tabs, switching to and from large apps, etc. 512 in the 2 was sucky but acceptable, but 512 for another year is just pushing it too far.

Yep, if we get no more RAM it will be a massive failure on Apples part. The only exception would be if the dedicated a VRAM channel. Even then iPad still cries out for more RAM.