iPad trade-ins up 10x on eBay as new models loom

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

iPad owners appear to be getting rid of their older models in preparation for the release of the third generation, as the number of iPads being traded in to eBay during February was up tenfold from that of the same month last year.

CNet reports that eBay made over 125,000 tablet trade-in offers in February, 97.6 percent of which were versions of Apple's iPad. That number includes only trade-ins are submitted to eBay's Instant Sale program, which offers cash to owners and takes care of wiping the devices and pays for shipping.

In fact, Apple's iPhones, iPods and iPads have made up the bulk of the trade-in items submitted to Instant Sale, despite the fact that other electronics brands are also accepted. eBay said it has made 7.3 million trade-in offers since launching the program.

The first-generation iPad 3G is the most commonly traded-in iPad, followed by the Wi-Fi-only original iPad. The Wi-Fi only iPad 2 is listed as third-most-popular, with the Verizon and AT&T iPad 2 models listed as fourth and fifth, respectively.

A significant jump in the number of iPads being traded-in was to be expected, as the available pool of used iPads last February were all less than a year old. Given that the first-generation iPad took the two top spots for tablet trade-ins, it would appear that some purchasers of the original iPad in 2010 skipped last year's second-generation and are now trading in their tablets in preparation for the third-generation.

A March 7 date for the unveiling of the so-called "iPad 3" has been rumored for weeks and was confirmed Tuesday when Apple sent out invitations to a media event that will take place at 10 a.m. Pacific at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco.

"We have something you really have to see. And touch," the invitation read.

Apple's March 7 event invitation, via The Loop.

The next-generation iPad is expected to feature a double-resolution display and an upgraded processor. It has also been suggested that the tablet could include support for 4G LTE networking.

Just weeks after the iPad 2 was released last March, eBay also offered some insight into buying and selling patterns for the iPad 2. A chart published by the site showed that 65 percent of the iPad 2 units being sold on the site were remaining in the U.S.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Sold my 16gb iPad two weeks ago for £250. They're going for £180 now that there are so many on there so looks like I made the right move.

Damn I miss it, hope it's an early march launch. Oh well, one week until we know!
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Sold my 16gb iPad two weeks ago for £250. They're going for £180 now that there are so many on there so looks like I made the right move.

Damn I miss it, hope it's an early march launch. Oh well, one week until we know!

The UK should get it around the 14th (1 week after US if US is on the 7th), otherwise March 21-25th or so by the latest, just a few weeks after the press event. My 2 cents.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    JUST sold my 64GB wifi two days ago for $525.00.

Pretty perfect timing, I think, though I do miss it quite a bit. Cannot wait to get a new one with that razor sharp screen.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    lomlom Posts: 9member
    Perfect time to get one. Perfect time to get a free travel/photography book for it too:

http://www.la2ba.com (Free for the first 500 readers)
  • Reply 5 of 32
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lom View Post

Perfect time to get one. Perfect time to get a free travel/photography book for it too:

"The largest travel / photography book in existence"

well ... if you can't make it good, make it big.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I don?t know how the iPad can possibly survive in the face of bargain-priced tablets like Kindle, PlayBook, and... used iPads!

There?s the REAL deal for a tablet-shopper on a tight budget: wait for late winter and grab a 1-or-2-year old iPad model. (Even an iPad 1 is a great machine still for most purposes.)
  • Reply 7 of 32
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
  • Reply 8 of 32
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I'm keeping my iPad 1. Historically interesting as the first really successful tablet in computer history. But definitely getting a 3 too!
  • Reply 9 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

You sold at the right wrong time.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You sold at the right wrong time.

Yea really, my mom jut picked up a 16gb version with 3g for 180 bucks.The eBay add said it was missing the power cable and I guess that just turned people of from bidding. I can pickup a cable from the friggen grocery store now so she defiantly got a great deal.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    I am trading my iPad now because new Asus Transformer Pad Infinity has been anounced. Can't wait to get my hands on this little beauty.

I bet a lot of people who settled for an iPad while waiting for an Ice Cream Sandwich tablet are now trading in their iPads.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

I am trading my iPad now because new Asus Transformer Pad Infinity has been anounced. Can't wait to get my hands on this little beauty.

I bet a lot of people who settled for an iPad while waiting for an Ice Cream Sandwich tablet are now trading in their iPads.

The name Ice Cream Sandwich reminds me of reviews for the Spinal Tap album Shark Sandwich.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Quote:

That's funny.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPad owners appear to be getting rid of their older models in preparation for the release of the third generation, as the number of iPads being traded in to eBay during February was up tenfold from that of the same month last year.

CNet reports that eBay made over 125,000 tablet trade-in offers in February, 97.6 percent of which were versions of Apple's iPad. That number includes only trade-ins are submitted to eBay's Instant Sale program, which offers cash to owners and takes care of wiping the devices and pays for shipping.

In fact, Apple's iPhones, iPods and iPads have made up the bulk of the trade-in items submitted to Instant Sale, despite the fact that other electronics brands are also accepted. eBay said it has made 7.3 million trade-in offers since launching the program.

The first-generation iPad 3G is the most commonly traded-in iPad, followed by the Wi-Fi-only original iPad. The Wi-Fi only iPad 2 is listed as third-most-popular, with the Verizon and AT&T iPad 2 models listed as fourth and fifth, respectively.

A significant jump in the number of iPads being traded-in was to be expected, as the available pool of used iPads last February were all less than a year old. Given that the first-generation iPad took the two top spots for tablet trade-ins, it would appear that some purchasers of the original iPad in 2010 skipped last year's second-generation and are now trading in their tablets in preparation for the third-generation.

A March 7 date for the unveiling of the so-called "iPad 3" has been rumored for weeks and was confirmed Tuesday when Apple sent out invitations to a media event that will take place at 10 a.m. Pacific at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco.

The next-generation iPad is expected to feature a double-resolution display and an upgraded processor. It has also been suggested that the tablet could include support for 4G LTE networking.

Just weeks after the iPad 2 was released last March, eBay also offered some insight into buying and selling patterns for the iPad 2. A chart published by the site showed that 65 percent of the iPad 2 units being sold on the site were remaining in the U.S.

Thats Why i Sold mine in Jan
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Thats Why i Sold mine in Jan
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:

It looks sweet!

http://eee.asus.com/eeepad/transform...nity/features/
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Checking the price of s/h iPad 1s and you soon discover that they are still more expensive than new Playbooks/Amazon Fires/Touchpads/etc!
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Sold my iPad2 (wifi only 16gig) for $275 to www.sellyouroldipad.com

Free UPS shipping and a check in 7 days. It's about 10 months old so I figure I "rented" it for about $20/mo.

Did the same with iphone 4, got a 4s switched to Sprint and told ATT to "stick it up their nose!" Sprint took the trade-in for $180. 4s definately feels "snappier!" Haven't tried camera or Siri yet. For $40 out-of-pocket, pretty good deal.

Next purchase will be the updated 11" MBA.

After that, holding out for AppleTV. May or may not get iPad3. Going to really go "minimlist" on my tech stuff. Only buying stuff if Apple makes it!
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I don’t know how the iPad can possibly survive in the face of bargain-priced tablets like Kindle, PlayBook, and... used iPads!

There’s the REAL deal for a tablet-shopper on a tight budget: wait for late winter and grab a 1-or-2-year old iPad model. (Even an iPad 1 is a great machine still for most purposes.)

I think that the iPad has more definite competition now. It will be interesting to see if Apple keeps the iPad 2 around for $299 (or less) as has been rumored. Based on Apple's past, I find it VERY likely Apple will do this. They usually respond to possible competition before it becomes an issue, which is what keeps them on top.

That said, even if they don't, I think the idea that "iPad can't survive" is laughable. It has outsold everything by RIDICULOUS margins so far. Worse case scenario Apple would see a dent in iPad 3 sales due to bargain tablets available now. But if they have a $299 iPad, that would probably all but negate those lost sales.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rednival View Post

I think that the iPad has more definite competition now. It will be interesting to see if Apple keeps the iPad 2 around for $299 (or less) as has been rumored. Based on Apple's past, I find it VERY likely Apple will do this. They usually respond to possible competition before it becomes an issue, which is what keeps them on top.

That said, even if they don't, I think the idea that "iPad can't survive" is laughable. It has outsold everything by RIDICULOUS margins so far. Worse case scenario Apple would see a dent in iPad 3 sales due to bargain tablets available now. But if they have a $299 iPad, that would probably all but negate those lost sales.

I can't see any way that Apple will make the iPad 2 $299. That's just the people who want to drive down Apple's share price making wild predictions so that when Apple fails to meet them, the stock drops.

A far more likely scenario is like the iPhone - which would suggest that the iPad 2 would stay around at $399 - with only one configuration (or maybe two to allow for WiFi and 3G models).