Feedback for Trance-ish Song

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<a href="http://upload.ipaska.net/122002/exp_trance.zip"; target="_blank">http://upload.ipaska.net/122002/exp_trance.zip</a>;

Alright, this is a song that I've been working on for school in a class I'm taking. I was wondering if I could get some help on this, the problem is that I cannot make this piece longer than a minute, it's very frustrating too. I've spent days working on modifications, etc, but I always end up back to what I have right now. If any of you could offer some constructive criticism, tips, suggestions, that'd be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Sounds pretty good so far, but It's gonna be hard to have it stay under one minute. Good work so far.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    1. needs some bass.

2. it's what, 30ish seconds now?

have it continue building until about 40, drop the bass, do some sweeping synth washes, pause for a split second, make the bass hit hard, and come back for about 4 bars of the normal beat.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>1. needs some bass.

2. it's what, 30ish seconds now?

have it continue building until about 40, drop the bass, do some sweeping synth washes, pause for a split second, make the bass hit hard, and come back for about 4 bars of the normal beat.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Alright, I was wondering a few things:

Should I have an ambient beginning? I was thinking about doing something light with strings, maybe some xylophones, in order to bring it up to the dreamy tone it somewhat resembles.

Make the bass hard? So just up it a bit? I was thinking about having a high octave pitch goi ng on at the same time during peak when the bass is up, good idea, bad?

Sorry, this is the first song that I've made so I'm still adjusting to learning some stuff, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Wow, sounds better than any of my school music projects did last year, mind you we did have 5 year old PCs and a psycopathic music teacher.

What sort of setup have you got to work with?

Yeah, some sweeping ambient sound would be good if possible and also more reverb, (quite long, with a short and tempo-synched predelay, but with the mix more dry than wet) - if you listen to trance tracks carefully you'll notice they nearly always use reverb and echo sounds to give it a sense of depth and presence (sounds good when played loud in big clubs)

Particularly if your using Cubase you might wan't to join the cubase.net forum and ask, a lot of the people there are musicians and producers.

But if you do, ask in the Mac forum, posts in the PC forum tend to degenerate into cussing matches in my experience.

Andrew

[ 12-26-2002: Message edited by: Andrew Xt ]</p>