MWC names Galaxy S II best smartphone, iPad 2 best tablet

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

The Mobile World Congress on Tuesday announced the winners of the 17th Annual Global Mobile Awards, with Samsung dubbed Manufacturer of the Year for its Galaxy S II Smartphone of the Year, while Apple's iPad 2 took home Tablet of the Year honors.

The four-day GSMA event held in Barcelona is the world's largest mobile industry exhibition and conference, and includes talks from industry leaders, a showcase of the newest mobile devices and presentations of future technology. At the conclusion of each MWC, awards are given for the leaders in a variety of categories covering mobile apps, services and hardware.

This year, Korean electronics monolith Samsung not only left MWC as the world's best hardware maker, but also dethroned previous smartphone champ Apple, which won Smartphone of the Year for its iPhone 4.

The win is indicative of the strong sales Android handset makers are currently enjoying around the globe, and Samsung has proven to be a leading partner for the platform.

While Apple has seen a great deal of success with the iPhone, even taking the crown as the world's largest smartphone manufacturer, the proliferation of devices running Google's Android OS has been overwhelming.

Recent statistics put Android way ahead of the pack as it gobbled up 50.9 percent of the market in 2011. In comparison, second place Apple's iOS managed only a 23.8 percent market despite growing some 8 percent year to year.

Just as Android continues to rule the handset market, so does the iPad with its complete domination of the tablet space.

During the fourth quarter of 2011, Apple shipped an estimated 18.7 million iPads to take 59.1 percent of all tablet sales for the period. The huge humber eclipses number two tablet maker Amazon, which eked out a 16.7 percent share with its new Kindle Fire.

When iPad and MacBook shipments for the 2011 holiday quarter are combined, Apple garnered 26.6 percent of the mobile PC market which is nearly triple the share of next-closest HP. The Cupertino, Calif., company pulled ahead of HP as the world's number one PC vendor in January.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Mobile World Congress on Tuesday announced the winners of the 17th Annual Global Mobile Awards, with Samsung dubbed Manufacturer of the Year for its Galaxy S II Smartphone of the Year,

How can they possibly say that? What are they thinking? Do they hate Apple?
  • Reply 2 of 159
    first time I ever heard of the MWC so its probably a bought congress like America's.
  • Reply 3 of 159
    Sounds about right.
  • Reply 4 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donw35 View Post

first time I ever heard of the MWC so its probably a bought congress like America's.

You think apple bought the ipad2 spot?
  • Reply 5 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donw35 View Post

el oh el

you can't be serious
  • Reply 6 of 159
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The Galazy S II is great for an Android-based phone but the iPhone 4S still wins in every category I think that matters. (Note I used 'I' to denote my personal preference, not an indication that the MBC's opinion is incorrect.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Why is this troll still allowed to post?
  • Reply 7 of 159
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Sweet! Selling my iPhone and iPad. Thanks MWC!!

• Reply 8 of 159
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Well, since Samsung just copies Apple's products, I guess Apple wins the best smartphone. Duh.
  • Reply 9 of 159
    Quote:

So they hate Apple because the iPhone didn't win best phone but they gave the iPad best tablet? Great logic there....
  • Reply 10 of 159
    I think Galaxy SII is a good mobile phone from the hardware point of view. I think for iPhone 5 Apple would move its hardware technology to something similar to SII given its thinner profile. (I have iPhone4 and I think the hardware is good!)

However in terms of software it is a different story altogether!
  • Reply 11 of 159
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Samsung just won the Pia Zadora prize, congrats.
  • Reply 12 of 159
    Well apple only updated the specs with the Iphone 4s with no radicle new design so it fair to say that samsung's galaxy s2 did win this time around.. but with the iphone 5 very likely to have a new design Samsung better savor the glory because it isn't going to last long...

but I have to say that the Galaxy s2 is very nice just to big for my comfort but much props to Samsung..
  • Reply 13 of 159
    While I am sure that the proliferation of Android handsets does mean something, I am never sure exactly what. Apple still has the highest profits in the mobile phone sector, not just the smartphone sector. Sure, Android has more eyes, but many of those eyes would rather be on an iPhone. So I say, let Samsung have it's day in the smaller sun. Apple is still the brand that everyone wants to be, because it is the electronics company that everyone wants to be.

There may come a day when Samsung is 'better' than Apple, but regardless of what the Mobile World Congress says, that day is still a long way off.
  • Reply 14 of 159
    And this award means what exactly? The Galaxy SII outsold the iPhone 4S? That consumers are going to be trading in their iPhones for the Galaxy SII? That iPhone sales are going to decline in the near-term. I doubt any of the above is likely to happen. Good for Samsung, but I doubt it will affect iPhone sales in any way at all. I'd certainly like to see what the criteria was in judging. Number of useful features? Bang for the buck? The Galaxy SII bested the iPhone, so more power to it. Now let's see Samsung turn that award into profits.
  • Reply 15 of 159
    [QUOTE=donw35;2059406]first time I ever heard of the MWC so its probably a bought congress like America's.[/QUOTE.
  • Reply 16 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Well, since Samsung just copies Apple's products, I guess Apple wins the best smartphone. Duh.

That's one way to spin it. "We may have lost, but in fact we won, if you think about it in a roundabout manner".
  • Reply 17 of 159
    So only half of Google's bribes worked.

How's that Google+ thing working out for them? I hear it's a 'ghost town.'

heh...
  • Reply 18 of 159
    why does everyone place Apples profit as a beneficial area for consumers?

And please dont say R&D investment, as profit is after that. never mind most is external to the USA.
  • Reply 19 of 159
    I saw this picture of phones before the iPhone and phone after the iPhone. Strangely, all the phones after the iPhone looked like the iPhone. Anyway.

Good for Samsung if that makes them feel good. As for me, I think they lack creativity. And their ad campaign is bad.
  • Reply 20 of 159
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

why does everyone place Apples profit as a beneficial area for consumers?

On that same note, why do people think that a company profiting from a product is a bad thing for customers? I'm guessing my iPhone has been updated and supported better than the Palm Pre.