MWC names Galaxy S II best smartphone, iPad 2 best tablet

Comments

• Reply 101 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Icelus View Post

Ah, someone is all worked up because someone insulted their phone.

Just some obvious observations, if it where bullshit it probably wouldn't sting so bad.

unlike you I don't give a flying fuck if you do not like my phone...I do not go around spreading unsubstantiated BS about another brand simply because they do not align with my interests...

I personally love my phone...I also think the iPhone is the best phone on the market for a majority of the people...which is what matters right?

Your observations are lies...or they were made with some random shitty phones that run the Android OS...

Android isn't as cut an dry as iOS...to make a judgement based on the POS phones is akin to making a judgement on Mercedes cars based on the A-Class only.
  • Reply 102 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't mind the plastic. It's certainly not in the league of the iPhone but it feels well built compared to others in the Android class. iFixit breakdowns show a well made device. Old like to get my hands on a Bada-based device but first I need to get a Lumia.

I haven't really touched a Samsung device since the Galaxy S...I don't think that was well made.

edit: Also not a fan of the UI
  • Reply 103 of 159
    icelusicelus Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with AD.

Okay, so know everyone is pondering whether they are a geek and should be offended.

Actually, AT&T customer service sucks, so "waiting in line" was about an hour. Sorry, but the Galaxy sucks. You just don't need a phone that big and clunky, it is plasticy and flimsy feeling.

The whole geek thing is valid, if the people who design phones are the ones who spend their days readying phone specs, who own six phones, and memorizes the instruction manual, then the phone is going to suck.

Sorry, having a local weather widget as the awesome feature displayed in all your phone ads is just stupid.

Hardwiring a search button is a sign of a poorly designed phone and probably why Google is phasing it out, at least as a physical button. And it seems on some newer Android phones they are finally getting a clue phasing out the two or three ugly logos that have been typical on most Android phones.

If you want me to tell you you have a nice phone, then get rid of all of the obvious junk.
  • Reply 104 of 159
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

To be fair Samsung is an apple copycat in a lot of ways. Hence why I abhor touchwhiz and especially v1 with the galaxy S.

But they are great hardware makers. Could be better

I do place HTC above them and I like where they're going with their One series.

Samsung and LG are both stuck. They are two of the most innovative companies in the world when it comes to advancing the technology bits themselves (for example, LCD and OLED screens, flash memory, processors, etc...), but when it comes to creating a finished smartphone, neither has much inspiration in them. They both just build what they think consumers want (iPhone clones), but this is a disease that has affected lots of Asian conglomerates, where design is done by committee.

IMO the current top Android manufacturer is HTC - their modifications actually do something positive to Android, is unique, and no matter how much some people dislike their 'unpure' Android, it provides a good user experience. I also think that Huawei and Lenovo will be a force in the future, they are some of the more original and ambitious Chinese manufacturers.
  • Reply 105 of 159
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Any of you guys own a Galaxy SII?

I dont. I know people who do including my wife. She went from an iphone 4 to a Samsung Galaxy SII. She likes it and has been happy with it.

Both phones have their strengths and weakness
  • Reply 106 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

unlike you I don't give a flying fuck if you do not like my phone...I do not go around spreading unsubstantiated BS about another brand simply because they do not align with my interests...

Unsubstantiated?

Just look at the masses of android phones, it is hard to miss how badly they are designed. If you think I am bias, try me, just design a decent phone for a change.

How badly do you really need search that you need a perminent button? Maybe just make things easier to find?

Why do you need your cell phone providers logo printed on the front of the phone. Hey, if I buy a phone I know who made it so I don't need a perminent advertisement day in and day out on the front of my phone.

You can get offended if you like, but bad design is bad design.
  • Reply 107 of 159
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

I saw this picture of phones before the iPhone and phone after the iPhone. Strangely, all the phones after the iPhone looked like the iPhone. Anyway.

If you are referring to the picture posted on this forum a week or two back, it was heavily doctored to distort history.

Touch screen phones without dedicated call buttons predated the iphone. To be fair to samsung they were making smart phones before Apple. That said, the form factor post iPhone has seen a degree of convergence.

The iphone game changer has been the use of multi-touch capacitive screens and the selling of the smart phone concept to otherwise uninterested people (in and of itself, this has been very significant). Other than that there had been very little innovation in the phone market in the last handful of years, by which I mean most of the features/(core) functions on current phones predate the iPhone.
  • Reply 108 of 159
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Unsubstantiated?

Just look at the masses of android phones, it is hard to miss how badly they are designed. If you think I am bias, try me, just design a decent phone for a change.

How badly do you really need search that you need a perminent button? Maybe just make things easier to find?

Why do you need your cell phone providers logo printed on the front of the phone. Hey, if I buy a phone I know who made it so I don't need a perminent advertisement day in and day out on the front of my phone.

You can get offended if you like, but bad design is bad design.

The nice thing about the capacitive search button, is that no matter what app you're in (browser, Google maps, Google earth, Yahoo, Bloomberg, etc...), you press that 1 button and you're searching, no matter where the search function is located in that app (not all app makers put it in a consistent place). Ditto for the menu button. You may not like the 'design', but some people like the functionality.

BTW, the cell provider logo on the front is an American thing, phones in Canada and elsewhere generally don't have that (my HTC phone certainly doesn't).

And yes, some Android phones are poorly designed, other's aren't, but in general, the OS is quite functional, and some manufacturers do make great devices.
  • Reply 109 of 159
    Quote:

That is a rather silly point. Off hand, I can't think of any current handset without the makers name on it. Some put them on the back, so that you "advertise" it to everyone else when you use it...
  • Reply 110 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hungover View Post

That is a rather silly point. Off hand, I can't think of any current handset without the makers name on it. Some put them on the back, so that you "advertise" it to everyone else when you use it...

BINGO!!!

I actually think the coolest thing Google ever did was design the Android logo, or have it designed. It really isn't a logo, it is a smoking icon, which is the only tech logo out there that can stand up to Apples logo. If they were to demand that every Android phone maker put that logo 3/4 inch on the backpack of their phone Android might stand a chance of standing up against Apple's marketing.

I have nothing against logos, I just don't want to see it day in and day out while I am using my phone. And many service provider's logos just plain suck....such as Verizon's which never seems to fit anywhere.
  • Reply 111 of 159
    Quote:

backpack of their phone Android

Back of their phone, rather.
  • Reply 112 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

The nice thing about the capacitive search button, is that no matter what app you're in (browser, Google maps, Google earth, Yahoo, Bloomberg, etc...), you press that 1 button and you're searching, no matter where the search function is located in that app (not all app makers put it in a consistent place). Ditto for the menu button. You may not like the 'design', but some people like the functionality.

I hear ya, I have heard several android uses honestly say they like the search button. I can live with than.

Then I start pondering, search is easy to find on the iPhone. The problem is I just never find myself using it. I have probably used it five times in three years. Stuff just isn't all that hard to find. Now with Siri I don't even use the keyboard that much.
  • Reply 113 of 159
    Yeah, but can the Galaxy S II call you "Rock God"?
  • Reply 114 of 159
    Quote:

BINGO!!!

I actually think the coolest thing Google ever did was design the Android logo, or have it designed. It really isn't a logo, it is a smoking icon, which is the only tech logo out there that can stand up to Apples logo. If they were to demand that every Android phone maker put that logo 3/4 inch on the backpack of their phone Android might stand a chance of standing up against Apple's marketing.

I have nothing against logos, I just don't want to see it day in and day out while I am using my phone. And many service provider's logos just plain suck....such as Verizon's which never seems to fit anywhere.

I don't understand where you are going with this.

Windows Phone 7 has their logo as the "start" button and often handsets have the same logo on the back yet it I have never heard anyone suggesting that it impacts upon sales. I am not even sure that the logos on the back of phones has any effect when the phone is in use given that it is obscured by one's hand.
  • Reply 115 of 159
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Android is all Samsung at this point. And, I do not fear any company that has the bal** and ineptitude to bring something like the Note to the market. I checked it out at Best Buy today. Exhibit A for POS

No fear

Apparently enterprises in Switzerland are adopting the Note on a large scale. They have sold over two million so far. Ineptitude it was not. I was on a train in Switzerland recently. Sitting across from me was what 20+ years ago I would have called a yuppie. He was using a Note and also had an iPad. The Note got a lot more use.
  • Reply 116 of 159
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Recent statistics put Android way ahead of the pack as it gobbled up 50.9 percent of the market in 2011. In comparison, second place Apple's iOS managed only a 23.8 percent market despite growing some 8 percent year to year.

Just as Android continues to rule the handset market, so does the iPad with its complete domination of the tablet space.

This is not correct. Google themselves have just reported that Android devices number 300 million:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/27/g...illion-device/

Apple reported 250 million iOS devices in October:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/04/a...-devices-sold/

They shipped 37 million iPhones, 15 million iPads and about 7 million iPod Touches since then so that gives Apple a grand total of:

309 million iOS devices.

They are at least level-pegging. Android is not at 50% marketshare nor even close to it - they have 50% sales share, which is almost meaningless at present. It means that Android will grow more quickly than iOS but what matters right now is shipped volumes.

Anyway, while the Galaxy S2 is a nice smartphone, it has actually sells much less than the iPhone. 20 million units in 10 months. Apple sold nearly double that in 3 months. I would nonetheless call it the benchmark Android phone and you can't give the award to Apple every year, that would make for a boring award show - it also runs the risk of a meaningless award show falling out of media circulation.
  • Reply 117 of 159
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

This is not correct. Google themselves have just reported that Android devices number 300 million:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/27/g...illion-device/

Apple reported 250 million iOS devices in October:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/04/a...-devices-sold/

They shipped 37 million iPhones, 15 million iPads and about 7 million iPod Touches since then so that gives Apple a grand total of:

309 million iOS devices.

They are at least level-pegging. Android is not at 50% marketshare nor even close to it - they have 50% sales share, which is almost meaningless at present. It means that Android will grow more quickly than iOS but what matters right now is shipped volumes.

Anyway, while the Galaxy S2 is a nice smartphone, it has actually sells much less than the iPhone. 20 million units in 10 months. Apple sold nearly double that in 3 months. I would nonetheless call it the benchmark Android phone and you can't give the award to Apple every year, that would make for a boring award show - it also runs the risk of a meaningless award show falling out of media circulation.

Your numbers would be a measure of their total shipments. For accounting of market share we have to consider the timeframe, in this case 3 months or 1 year. We also have to consider that when people talk about Android OS having 50% market share they are only talking about the smartphone market. iOS seems to be on par with Android OS for all devices though I figure Android OS activations will take a lead over devices sold with iOS in the next quarter.
  • Reply 118 of 159
    tunetune Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

you can't give the award to Apple every year, that would make for a boring award show - it also runs the risk of a meaningless award show falling out of media circulation.

Nice expalantion.
  • Reply 119 of 159
    Psychiatrists could have a field day with this entire forum, but especially with this thread.
  • Reply 120 of 159
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

How can they possibly say that? What are they thinking? Do they hate Apple?

Poor parody by your standards, techdud.