Rumor: Apple to unveil 8GB iPad 2 alongside 'iPad 3' on March 7

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Supply chain sources are claiming Apple will unveil a cheaper 8GB iPad 2 model alongside third-generation iPad models at its media event next week.

Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes reported on Thursday that, according to sources within Apple's "upstream supply chain," the iPad maker will release the smaller capacity iPad 2 in order to cover a wider price range within the tablet market and fight off threats from upcoming Windows 8-based tablets.

Apple is also facing price pressure from below, as Amazon's $199 Kindle Fire tablet has attracted millions of customers. The company has, in the past, released lower capacity versions of its iPhone

Thursday's report was unclear, though, as it said Apple would release just two "iPad 3" sizes: a 16GB and 32GB version, without explaining if and why the company would abandon its current high-capacity 64GB iPad model.

The publication also claimed that Apple has been "aggressively placing orders" for the third-generation iPad, with first quarter shipments expected to double original estimates.

Apple confirmed on Tuesday via invitation earlier reports that had pegged March 7 as the date of the unveiling of the next-generation iPad. The event will take place at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, Calif., the site of the past two iPad releases.

The third-generation iPad is widely believed to include a Retina Display with a pixel density of 264 pixels per inch. Other expected upgrades include an improved camera, faster processor, and possibly 4G LTE data speeds.

Apple's March 7 event invitation, via The Loop.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    No 64GB option doesn't make any sense to me.. I was hoping for a 128GB option..

With apps getting bigger especially even more with the expected high resolution iPad 3.. Those new interactive iBooks being huge as well..
  • Reply 2 of 55
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    It's a Digitimes rumor.

Toss in circular file.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

32 and 64 makes more sense than 16 and 32, especially with the textbook issue (some of them are as much as 3gb for one title

And given the school thing 8GB makes no sense. The average grade school kid has 5 texts and even if they are all under the recommended 2GB mark that's pushing capacity since an 8gb is really more like 6.5GB of usable storage.

I can buy only two size levels of the iPad 3 with one staying in the iPad 2 but I think it will be

16 GB ipad 2 (perhaps wifi only)

32 GB ipad 3

64 GB ipad 3

oh and the Kindle Fire thing is total bull. Tim Cook even basically said so when he said that Apple's not worried about such tablets because they are for a different type of customer.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    It sure doesn't seem to make sense of why there'd be no 64 GB model iPad. I always though that consumers preferred more memory when making an iPad purchase. Unless Apple thinks that everyone will be satisfied with some cloud service. I hope not. In fact, I was hoping for a 128 GB iPad to keep music and videos on. Oh, well, I guess I'll just have to deal with it using some external WiFi storage device if this rumor is true.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

32 and 64 makes more sense than 16 and 32, especially with the textbook issue (some of them are as much as 3gb for one title

And given the school thing 8GB makes no sense. The average grade school kid has 5 texts and even if they are all under the recommended 2GB mark that's pushing capacity since an 8gb is really more like 6.5GB of usable storage.

I can buy only two size levels of the iPad 3 with one staying in the iPad 2 but I think it will be

32 GB ipad 3

64 GB ipad 3

oh and the Kindle Fire thing is total bull. Tim Cook even basically said so when he said that Apple's not worried about such tablets because they are for a different type of customer.

These people are always saying that Apple is feeling pressure from the Kindle Fire and yet I hear that there were plenty of Kindle Fire returns and consumers saying they would never buy another one. There's really too much FUD going around about Apple being under pressure from some small company or another. One would naturally figure that it's the larger company that would be putting pressure on the smaller company, not the reverse.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

These people are always saying that Apple is feeling pressure from the Kindle Fire and yet I hear that there were plenty of Kindle Fire returns and consumers saying they would never buy another one. There's really too much FUD going around about Apple being under pressure from some small company or another. One would naturally figure that it's the larger company that would be putting pressure on the smaller company, not the reverse.

Apple's under no pressure from anyone. The closest to any pressure is Proview, and that is only because the way it's dealt with in China may set a precedent with how future IP disputes with China are handled by other American multinationals. A Chinese company can't sell a trademark and then reneg on the agreement. If the Chinese courts side with Proview, than that tells multinationals that Chinese companies are free to steal their trademarks they've already sold.

As for pressure from other products. Hardly. Everything that isn't an iPad is a flop, and Amazon is losing money on the Fire. That's a bad business model.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Digitimes rumor.

Why haven't they been banned for stupidity yet?
  • Reply 8 of 55
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    The pressure from the Kindle Fire may be nonexistant at the moment, but the question at Apple should be how that changes when Amazon releases a 10 inch model that more directly competes with the iPad. Eye toward the future and all, not the present. I expect Amazon is working hard to bring their "true" tablet out at $300, losing perhaps $20-$30 on every model sold. If anything that is the product that has Apple's attention.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    mrrmrr Posts: 69member
    If this is true, then Apple is moving in the WRONG direction.

LESS MEMORY?

The cloud is all good unless you are paying extra for all that extra download and upload of data.

The cloud is all good unless you are not connected to the cloud and don't have any choice.

The cloud is all good unless you are trying to edit lots of video.

MORE MEMORY never hurts, but too little memory is a royal pain in the ass.

The cost of memory is actually pretty cheap. Let the market place determine the max memory. Let's not take a giant step backwards.

Who was it that said, "No one will ever need more than 64k...?"
  • Reply 10 of 55
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

The pressure from the Kindle Fire may be nonexistant at the moment, but the question at Apple should be how that changes when Amazon releases a 10 inch model that more directly competes with the iPad. Eye toward the future and all, not the present. I expect Amazon is working hard to bring their "true" tablet out at $300, losing perhaps $20-$30 on every model sold. If anything that is the product that has Apple's attention.

Remember when netbooks were all the rage? Those were actually making a sliver of a profit on each sale and yet Apple didn't engage in that market segment so I can't see Apple mirroring Amazon's loss leader. As other people have stated (and myself for about a year) I can't see a smaller iPad but I can see a larger iPod Touch.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Remember when netbooks were all the rage? Those were actually making a sliver of a profit on each sale and yet Apple didn't engage in that market segment so I can't see Apple mirroring Amazon's loss leader. As other people have stated (and myself for about a year) I can't see a smaller iPad but I can see a larger iPod Touch.

Apple will compete following the same game plan they did with the iPod. Watch and see.

Eventually...

iPod touch @ 149

iPod touch XL @ 249

iPad 2 @ 399

iPad 3 @ 499
  • Reply 12 of 55
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

32 and 64 makes more sense than 16 and 32, especially with the textbook issue (some of them are as much as 3gb for one title)

32 GB ipad 3

64 GB ipad 3

Yeah, that seems more likely to me. I think they are basing this speculation on the iPhone change to the Retina display where the 16GB 3GS dropped to 8GB and the iPhone 4 only shipped with 16GB and 32GB. The iPhone now has 64GB models so they won't exclude the iPad from this. If anything, they could even go up to 128GB.

The iPad 3 motherboard that was pictured previously had 32GB of flash storage and I suspect that was the entry model. The high resolution display is going to require more storage so I don't see why they would keep the storage choices at the lower levels.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    nishanthnishanth Posts: 66member
    This makes more sense to me than a smaller sized iPad... but many may dis agree..
  • Reply 14 of 55
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

It's a Digitimes rumor.

Toss in circular file.

Agreed.

FIFA 12 -> 1000 MB

NFS -> 780 MB

Fight Night -> 470 MB

GT Racing -> 465 MB

Draw Race 2 -> 463 MB

Real Golf HD -> 460 MB

Real Racing 2 -> 446 MB

Street Fighter IV -> 443 MB

Let's Golf! 2 HD -> 440MB

Shadow Guardian -> 394 MB

etc etc etc

An 8GB iPad would give you something like 5 or 6 GB of available space. I'd use that up with the 10 largest of my 150+ apps... and that is before setting up music/videos/photos etc

IMO Apple shouldn't even sell the 16GB as it isn't big enough. 8GB would be beyond stupid, and Apple aren't going to do it.

Digitimes sucks.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    8GB is way too limiting. Apple can't be as stupid as DigiTimes claim they are.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

With apps getting bigger especially even more with the expected high resolution iPad 3.. Those new interactive iBooks being huge as well..

Ditto
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

It's a Digitimes rumor. Toss in circular file.

Zactly. Complete poppycock.

Apple hasn't been making iPad 2s since December. Absurd to think they would compromise capacity to make all the iPad 3s they can since demand will exceed supply all year long.

Plus a huge refurb/used market of the old iPads will cover all the low spenders' needs. Duh.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    Uh-oh! It's Digitimes again. TallestSkill is going to have a conniption!
  • Reply 18 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrr View Post

If this is true, then Apple is moving in the WRONG direction.

LESS MEMORY?

The cloud is all good unless you are paying extra for all that extra download and upload of data.

The cloud is all good unless you are not connected to the cloud and don't have any choice.

The cloud is all good unless you are trying to edit lots of video.

MORE MEMORY never hurts, but too little memory is a royal pain in the ass.

The cost of memory is actually pretty cheap. Let the market place determine the max memory. Let's not take a giant step backwards.

Who was it that said, "No one will ever need more than 64k...?"

How dare you question Apple! They know what's best for you!
  • Reply 19 of 55
    alex503alex503 Posts: 4member
    Apple wouldn't release a 64gb 4S but than stop a 64gb iPad 3 release when iPad can be used as a computer more than an iPhone. Especially when iPad is rumored to have retnia display and your going to want to download movies and watch them on iPad .Doesn't make any sense. Digitimes always reports the dumbest rumors.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    It's rather apparent that there will not be an 8GB iPad because that's just not enough memory for a device like that.

It's as if some genius editor at the publication in question thought that it would be too boring to report that Apple would continue to offer the iPad 2 at a reduced price (which is certainly going to happen) so the memory downgrade wrinkle was thrown into the mix.

I don't doubt that Apple will, as some have suggested, have to charge more for an iPad with a high-resolution screen. At the size of the iPad, that technology is expensive. As such, Apple needs to offer the iPad 2 and can do it, with no changes, at a reduced price. Something like $429 for the iPad 2 sold for as long as there is a market for it, and set the new iPad at let's say $579.

I see a market for both products. Many would be thrilled to have the option of paying a good price for a viable product like the iPad 2 and many would gladly pay extra for the HD iPad. It broadens the product's appeal. Besides, if Apple were to bring out the iPad 3 costing more with no lower cost option as a companion, there would be a lot of complaining. With a $429 iPad available, what's to complain about. If you want the latest and greatest, pay for it. If you don't need that much performance, Apple has you covered.

In any case, next week this all comes to an end. And no, Apple is not working on an 8-inch iPad. Ain't gonna happen. A revised Touch, certainly, but a smallish iPad, seriously, who needs that if there is a $429 iPad. Pointless.