Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion: Safari 5.2 gets a simplified user interface with new sharing feature

Comments

• Reply 61 of 88
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Most major websites have an app now which is much slicker. The web is so 2000s.

Those JS overlays that keep informing you that they have an iPhone app are the new Flash splash screens. I personally don't like to use separate apps for every website I visit. I'm sure it's better as an app btu switching out of Safari just to hit a website for a second just isn't worth it for me.
  • Reply 62 of 88
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Those JS overlays that keep informing you that they have an iPhone app are the new Flash splash screens. I personally don't like to use separate apps for every website I visit. I'm sure it's better as an app btu switching out of Safari just to hit a website for a second just isn't worth it for me.

Fair enough. I don't think the web is going away, it's just not where the excitement is any more. Browser wars seem moot to me nowadays.
  • Reply 63 of 88
    It's the way tabs take up the full width of the window reducing each time one is added that I hate. I guess I'd get used to it in time, but why "mend what's not broken"? Or just "why"?
  • Reply 64 of 88
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

It's not anti-Apple to dislike the new interface (or any other Apple design decision). Are you one of those who said people opposed to the Iraq War were anti-American?

Personally, I don't like the unified address bar idea, as I don't see a way to implement it that wouldn't take me where I don't want to go. I just hope there's a hidden preference to get back to a separate search bar.

You have a point, except the fact that the unibar is much better an invention.
  • Reply 65 of 88
    Quote:

Chrome is a popular 3rd-party browser but WebKit is by far more influential in computing over the last 5 years. Even Mobile Safari is more influential than Chrome in the past 5 years. Before that there were no decent smartphone browsers. Even today no mobile OS browser works as well. However, now with Chrome on Android Chrome might overtake Safari in installations.

WebKit is a widely used technology and it used on mobile browsers and in Chrome because it's great. Chrome, the app; is the single most influential app in the last five years. It's highly innovative and very fast. Google came out of nowhere to pretty much take over the web browser game. I personally prefer Safari, but I can see why a lot of people say Chrome is the best browser. Chrome might be using the WebKit engine, but Apple can't copy enough of Chrome's innovative features. The fact the Chrome isn't mentioned in the title of this article is insulting. Please please please tell me Apple stole the "you don't have to move the mouse when closing several tabs in succession" feature. Clearly Chrome's best feature.
  • Reply 66 of 88
    drfreemandrfreeman Posts: 111member
    I think the most annoying thing for me is the size of the space beneath the address bar with/without tabs open. I think it is a waste of valuable space!

Apart from that all other features are welcomed!
  • Reply 67 of 88
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In before the anti-Apple brigade starts screaming about the unified bar and the greying out of extended URLs.

How about people that have been using Safari since 1.0 and HATE the lack of the search bar? The unified bar looks terrible.
  • Reply 68 of 88
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

then why are you mouthing off about google not being 'up to date'? webkit2 is adding features that the chromium kit had before it and that chrome already has.

*phone ringing* it's for you: APPLE SAFARI IS PLAYING 'KETCHUP' TO GOOGLE CHROME

• Reply 69 of 88
    jawportajawporta Posts: 140member
    So they stole from Google's Chrome? Nice. It looks like Apple has reached it's peak with Snow Leopard and will not start taking features away until the Mac is as useless as an iPad.

Wake up GOOGLE!!!! Time to make an OS worthy of taking over OSX and Windows.
  • Reply 70 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

WebKit is a widely used technology and it used on mobile browsers and in Chrome because it's great. Chrome, the app; is the single most influential app in the last five years. It's highly innovative and very fast. Google came out of nowhere to pretty much take over the web browser game. I personally prefer Safari, but I can see why a lot of people say Chrome is the best browser. Chrome might be using the WebKit engine, but Apple can't copy enough of Chrome's innovative features. The fact the Chrome isn't mentioned in the title of this article is insulting. Please please please tell me Apple stole the "you don't have to move the mouse when closing several tabs in succession" feature. Clearly Chrome's best feature.

i like chrome but i wouldn't call it the most influential app. there were several browsers and chrome didn't alll of a sudden make the web popular.

the single most influential App was App-le

love them or hate them you have to admit its true.
  • Reply 71 of 88
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

It looks like Apple has reached it's peak with Snow Leopard and will not start taking features away until the Mac is as useless as an iPad.

That's exactly right: Apple will NOT take features away from the Mac. So what's your point?
  • Reply 72 of 88
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrFreeman View Post

I think the most annoying thing for me is the size of the space beneath the address bar with/without tabs open. I think it is a waste of valuable space!

Apart from that all other features are welcomed!

You mean the Bookmark Bar?
  • Reply 73 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

Doesn't this add more steps? If I want to go to domain.com I press Command-L, type "domain.com" and press Enter. On the other hand if I want to do a search for "cool stuff" I press Command-Option-F, type "cool stuff" and press Enter. With the single search bar I'll have to press Command-L (or whatever), enter my domain name or search query, then mess around with the arrow keys or the mouse to select the kind of input I want. Please correct me if you've actually used this and it works better than I'm imagining.

I haven't used it yet, but if Apple implemented it intelligently (and I expect they did) you enter your search or your URL in the unified bar, then hit enter. If a URL, it takes you to the web page. If a search, it takes you to the search page. It should simplify things for both the power user and regular user alike (e.g. at the very least your keyboard shortcut becomes CMD+L instead of CMD+OPT+F). The drop down menu with choices should be entirely optional outside the choices outlined above (and it currently is).

Quote:

I will concede that when I taught computer classes, I saw that at least 95% of people used the address field and search field interchangeably, as if they didn't understand the difference between the two. So I think this is inevitable (and hardly innovative since IE 9 and Chrome already do it).

I used to tech people, freelance, how to use their computers, in addition to providing all manner of other technical services. I saw this frequently so this should help. Many new computer users don't fully understand the concept of a URL. Heck, I've seen them frequently enter a URL (e.g. yahoo.com) into Google.

Quote:

I also think it's inevitable that eventually URLs will be hidden completely, and that will be a sad day for tech-savvy users who can learn things from looking at the domain name, tweak the URL to navigate to a different page, work around a broken page, etc. But it's all gobbledygook for most users.

Don't count on it. If it is ever removed from the interface there would still be a configuration option to display it. But that won't happen in the future I can envision because the URL is such a valuable piece of information to avoid scams.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're comparing the actual browser to a text document.

Safari has ALWAYS had colored syntax highlighting, and it even has colored HOVER highlighting now.

Right click, view source, black and white. The Web Inspector has syntax highlighting. If they're bringing syntax highlighting to the regular View Source command, that would be great.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevin McMurtrie View Post

A unified URL and search field with auto-completion means that a search engine knows what web sites you're typing in. I see that as a major invasion of privacy.

First, this may or may not be information the search engine companies bother logging, and second, who cares? Really. Your final search is being submitted to their server and recorded for advertising purposes, so what more value (and what additional privacy loss) comes about from the potential threat of them logging your search in progress?

If they used that information for much of anything it would be to study search patterns to improve their search engine (for example, better results returned from searches).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cinder6 View Post

It looks like Chrome's omnibus is still better, though, in that you can search specific websites by typing in the URL (or part of it) and hit Tab. It also has tabs on top, which is win. I've never understood why I need the title of my current tab to be shown twice.

I do like Chrome's omnibus quite a bit. I've wished for it to be in Safari for some time now. I might be wrong, but I seem to recall it making its way into a pre-release beta of Safari only to be stripped out (the same pre-release also had top-level tabs). One thing I do love about Safari is how it currently (Lion) handles address auto-completeion and drop down options.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cinder6 View Post

If not for Safari's better OS integration, I would probably use Chrome.

I love Safari on OS X. When I'm using Windows, though, a pretty good chunk of the magic is gone, and I wind up using Chrome. Although lately I've started to wonder what Google may be doing with information potentially gathered from browsing through Chrome. I'll have to look into that.
  • Reply 74 of 88
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

You mean the Bookmark Bar?

Which you can turn off at will?
  • Reply 75 of 88
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Anyone test GPU acceleration? Safari and Chrome seem like the last browsers not to get it, and Chrome has it but burred in settings (about:flags). I know Apples site says it has GPU acceleration but its not the more expansive form IE9 or Firefox have, its limited to just a few things in Safari.
  • Reply 76 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

I downloaded Safari 5.2 through the developer portal for OS X Lion.

It sucked, big time.

I personally prefer having the URL and search bar separate, and the 'Reader' button in 5.2 is just... Ugly. And what the hell did they do to the tabs?

I switched back to 5.1.

C'mon man... you just don't like change. Get used to it because it'll happen all the time.
  • Reply 77 of 88
    ituomasituomas Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Does Reader deserve the biggest button in the whole UI? It?s really just a view control, and already had a fine spot. It?s nice, but if anything, I use the Zoom Bigger button more. Maybe that button should be four inches across...

In fact, I?d rather have a big Reading List button than an oversize Reader button. Reading List also makes iCloud more useful, so you?d think Apple would focus on that.

This sounds like a UI experiment that won?t make it out of beta.

I also need RSS: RSS serves as an ?alternate home page? for a site, from which I open multiple tabs. Who wants to switch back and forth between two browsing apps? Luckily, I?m sure a Safari Extension can fill the RSS need if Apple doesn?t. But I?m hoping Apple is actually improving RSS (it needs it) and we?ll see that later.

My hopes as well. I was very disappointed to hear RSS was gone from Safari with 5.2. It's one of the features I most frequently use in Safari.

I also agree with the comments on the UI above.
  • Reply 78 of 88
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I haven't used it yet, but if Apple implemented it intelligently (and I expect they did) you enter your search or your URL in the unified bar, then hit enter. If a URL, it takes you to the web page. If a search, it takes you to the search page. It should simplify things for both the power user and regular user alike (e.g. at the very least your keyboard shortcut becomes CMD+L instead of CMD+OPT+F). The drop down menu with choices should be entirely optional outside the choices outlined above (and it currently is).

Okay, that makes sense. So the browser code has logic that determines whether to do a direct navigation or perform a search based on the content that was input ... that should be pretty seamless. I guess the only time this would fail is if I actually wanted to search Google for a domain name rather than navigate to it, or maybe do a specialized search like link:appleinsider.com, but I could always just navigate to Google and do that kind of stuff from there.
  • Reply 79 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i like chrome but i wouldn't call it the most influential app. there were several browsers and chrome didn't alll of a sudden make the web popular.

I never said that.
  • Reply 80 of 88
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astonmartindb9 View Post

C'mon man... you just don't like change. Get used to it because it'll happen all the time.

Actually, usually DO like change. I thought Lion was absolutely amazing compared to Snow Leopard. I like the changed they've made with iOS and Mountain Lion. Heck, I completely love natural scrolling in Lion! The new Safari is the only thing I really dislike about ML, because it reminds me of Chrome; which I switched from last year.