Purported 'iPad 3' front panels show identically placed home button and camera

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Further disputing continued speculation that Apple could do away with the home button on its next-generation iPad, a new picture claiming to show glass panels for black and white third-generation iPad models show the home button and front-facing camera located in positions identical to the iPad 2.

The pictures of the so-called "iPad 3" digitizer and front glass panel were posted on Thursday by Fix-iPhones.com. The black and white front panels appear to be the same part, complete with redesigned ribbon cable, that surfaced out of the Far East last week.

The front panel once again suggests that Apple's third-generation iPad will look largely identical to the iPad 2, with a home button at the bottom of the device and a hole for a forward-facing camera at the top.

The leaked component should also help to dispel speculation that Apple could do away with the home button entirely on its next iPad. That idea cropped up again this week after Apple sent out invitations for a media event next week that showed an iPad Calendar application icon being touched at the bottom of the screen without a home button.

But since the iPad home screen can be operated in any orientation, it's more likely that the pictured iPad included on the invitation is simply an iPad being used in landscape mode, explaining why there is no home button to be seen.

That the parts shown on Thursday are available in both black and white also suggests that Apple will offer the same two color options it had provided customers with since last year's iPad 2 launch.

While the front panel of the next iPad is expected to look largely identical to the current iPad 2, the new device could be slightly thicker than its predecessor. One measurement of a purported "iPad 3" rear panel publicized earlier this week found that it is 0.81 millimeters thicker than the same part on the iPad 2.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Oh, look. Home Buttons. What a surprise.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    Hope the UI is updated.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    It looked like portrait. The invite is probably a mock-up and the home button got left out.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    nkaulnkaul Posts: 3member
    Having studied Apple's hardware update cycle over last few years, I can say with measured confidence that the following will be on offer: Double the resolution, A6 chip req to power such a display, marginal improvement in camera's ( may be max max 3MP back with 1080p, 720p front). I do not expect 4G - If at all I think it will be availble only in US as there is absolutely no reason to have 4G ready in Europe/ rest of the world. same 10 Hr battery but larger in size to power high res screen, No NFC. On sofware side, iOS 5.1. I think Siri has a good chance as it will separate iPad further from kindle and competition. I would have loved new maps as apple has been working on a major maps overhual for while ( isnt it time!!!) but I think they may launch that as a major feature in iOS 6 to coincide with iPhone launch later in the year. What say, guys!
  • Reply 5 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Hope the UI is updated.

I'll indulge your nonsense. Do you mean "updated" as in "something that isn't an iPod touch interface made bigger" or "updated" as in "logical, rational UI tweaks that streamline what the iPad already has going for it"?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

It looked like portrait. The invite is probably a mock-up and the home button got left out.

How could you possibly say that? The image doesn't show anywhere near enough of the device to make that determination. And Apple doesn't use fakes for their product photos. It's a real device.

Also, I think I'm going to do this myself for all future Apple invites.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Or it could just be a modified iPad 2.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Or it could just be a modified iPad 2.

I think the 'purported' part can be confirmed or eliminated based on that connector thing matching up with the current iPad's or the also purported iPad 3's that we've seen.

I don't suppose that's an actual response, so I'll just ask, "Why would they modify the iPad 2?"
  • Reply 8 of 46
    Oh look Apple is not going to do anything radical...didn't see that coming.

And the invitation most likely does not have any hidden meanings, we just love to theorize
  • Reply 9 of 46
    Apple Co-Founder Steve Wozniak Says Apple Stock Could Hit $1000

http://www.cultofmac.com/149770/appl...ould-hit-1000/
  • Reply 10 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'll indulge your nonsense. Do you mean "updated" as in "something that isn't an iPod touch interface made bigger" or "updated" as in "logical, rational UI tweaks that streamline what the iPad already has going for it"?

How could you possibly say that? The image doesn't show anywhere near enough of the device to make that determination. And Apple doesn't use fakes for their product photos. It's a real device.

Isn't the hand shown making an obscene gesture?
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Isn't the hand shown making an obscene gesture?

Pointing with your index finger is an obscene gesture?
  • Reply 12 of 46
    Quote:

Good stuff. I guess that settle everything!
  • Reply 13 of 46
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Oh, look. Home Buttons. What a surprise.

Agreed. No one in their right mind thinks that the iPad 3 will lack a home button.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    I really hoped for something edge-to-edge like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=9s2oYUy_cVY

No home button, software enabled virtual bezel... Perfect gadget!

Still, LTE and HD is good enough upgrade for me anyways.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Is it just me, or is whenever a product launch approaches, AppleInsider goes crazy with low credibility rumors and then dispels them with other sources of low credibility?
  • Reply 16 of 46
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I already said this a few days ago in another thread, but of course there's a damn home button. How the hell else is somebody supposed to get home or leave an app? And no, using multi-gestures is not a good answer, because what if those gestures are turned off?

Anybody who thinks otherwise is probably the type who believes in crackhead conspiracy theories.

And also, the spacing between those icons doesn't mean shit, as the spacing changes depending upon how many icons somebody puts down there.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I really hoped for something edge-to-edge like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=9s2oYUy_cVY

No home button, software enabled virtual bezel... Perfect gadget!

That is cool for a Sci-Fi perspective because it's flashy but it's practical for real world use even if that tech was feasible.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

It was a mockup. If you look at the lighting under the index and thumb, the thumb has very white light, yet it is sitting on the black edge where no light is emitted. Also, a dark background doesn't emit so much light that the fingers would be so lit up from underneath!

Plus, if you leave your finger on that calendar icon for longer than 3 seconds, the icons would start wobbling! And it takes longer than 3 seconds for a professional photograph to get this shot...

EDIT: ok, someone beat me to it! Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that Tuesday!!!
  • Reply 19 of 46

Misdirection...

In many ways this reminds me of the original iPad launch...

All these little rumors about this feature or that were circulating and being debated...

Then Apple demoed the iPad including many of the rumored features...

But, the thing that all the rumors had agreed upon (and not being debated) -- that was "settled law" -- was that the price would start at $1,000-$1,100...

Then $499 dropped with dust and a resounding thud...

Boom!

...And every competitor went back to their drawing boards... for more than 2 years now...

I don't know if there will be something earthshaking at the iPad³ announcement -- but I suspect we are all missing something, by focusing on the details.

• Reply 20 of 46
    Quote:

Pointing with your index finger is an obscene gesture?

Some, here, think everything I do is an obscene gesture