Developer shows how Retina Display on next iPad would improve games

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    As for those people who ported their iPhone app to the iPad and call it the "HD" version, what are they going to call this version?



    HD+ ?





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post


    Here's what I'm wondering: What effect will a retina display have when viewing iPhone apps on an iPad 3? I assume it'll be an improvement... right?



    I think Apple still only has the 480x320 resolution in effect for iPhone apps shown on the iPad...even if they are Retina Display capable, and evn if you view them in 2x. It seems reasonable to think that Apple would offer the better resolution on a bigger display but I think Apple doesn't want iPhone apps on the iPad to be something people use. They want devs to create iPad apps and customers to use them. For those reasons I wouldn't expect any change and perhaps eventually the quite removal of iPhone apps on the iPad altogether.
  • Reply 22 of 77
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    What was the title of this article, again? "DEVELOPER SHOWS HOW TO PUMP INANE GAME INVOLVING WALKING BURGERS AND DONUTS"? Ah, I see. Right. Give me a break.



    Wow! Gee, hd looks better! Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles...
  • Reply 23 of 77
    camelotcamelot Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    While the advantages of an iPad with a Retina Display are apparent from the screenshots, Ng also noted that there are some issues that Apple will encounter with its anticipated device. Most notably, four times as many pixels will use just as much additional data for video, and will result in larger downloads for App Store software.]



    There's a fundamental problem with that statement.



    For one, a 4x increase in pixels does not, necessarily, translate into an increase in download size. The developer in question already stated that he's using vector graphics.

    Vector graphics, by definition, are resolution-independent, so the same vectors, and the same number of bytes, are used from the lowly original iPhone screen all the way through the new HD/Retina displays, and beyond.



    The only time there'll be an increase in bytes is if using pixel-based images rather than vector.
  • Reply 24 of 77
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post


    The PS3 and Xbox 360 are 5 year old+ devices. The current iPhone has pretty much the same power. Who's to say the new chips won't be capable of this? Let's wait and see.



    If the new chip can do this, they should put it on a PCI-E card and sell it right away for <$100 (what would be the cost if they can put it in a $499 device).



    There are cheap chips which can do 1920x1200 at a reasonable framerate (sandy bridge for instance) but they do not have the Watt range needed on a mobile device.
  • Reply 25 of 77
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    Edited.
  • Reply 26 of 77
    simonmtlsimonmtl Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    HD+ ?



    Like VHS and S-VHS, maybe S-HD? But I like HD+, it -looks- better. And it's simple, yet elegant. Well done!
  • Reply 27 of 77
    simonmtlsimonmtl Posts: 42member
    Who's betting on Real Racing HD+? And some smashing EA FPS?



    Plus demos of Pages, graphics package, and iBooks+ 2.0?
  • Reply 28 of 77
    foljsfoljs Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dav View Post


    games are nice, but i'm excited to see how books read on a retina display ipad. the typography and font scaling should be beautiful



    Yeah, the only problem is the current ebook formats are awful for typography.



    Back line breaking, awful rivers, no extended characters (ligatures etc), basically epub is just a browser view presented as a book reader.



    That said, PDF books with good typography will look marvelous on the retina display.
  • Reply 29 of 77
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    The article is on the verge of insulting. The author writes these things as if talking to a child.
  • Reply 30 of 77
    foljsfoljs Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post


    The article is on the verge of insulting. The author writes these things as if talking to a child.



    I'm a CS graduate, and I'm not insulted.



    If you want something harder, why not go read kernel code or visit Lambda the Ultimate?
  • Reply 31 of 77
    I sure games will greatly benefit from the high def display but I'm most eager to see medical apps, like radiology, take full advantage of the 3 megapixel display. Game changer to me!
  • Reply 32 of 77
    lol...this is a stupid article...I expected something fancier than "high res allows high res"



    I too am more interested in text though, that should be nice.
  • Reply 33 of 77
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Camelot View Post


    There's a fundamental problem with that statement.



    For one, a 4x increase in pixels does not, necessarily, translate into an increase in download size. The developer in question already stated that he's using vector graphics.

    Vector graphics, by definition, are resolution-independent, so the same vectors, and the same number of bytes, are used from the lowly original iPhone screen all the way through the new HD/Retina displays, and beyond.



    The only time there'll be an increase in bytes is if using pixel-based images rather than vector.



    He's using vectors that will have to be rasterized post scaling and at a higher ppi. So yes, it will consume more space.
  • Reply 34 of 77
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,120member
    If the games are simple like that and able to run at native, I bet most sophisticated 3D games would run at upscalled mode.
  • Reply 35 of 77
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post


    For the sample given I will believe this can work, and although I have confidence in the powervr gpu I do not see it pushing 3d games in 2048x1536...



    ps3/xbox360 cannot even do this, only dedicated gpu cards with 150W+ can do this.



    They can currently, so the new GPU must be 4 times as fast as the current generation. Simply switching to 8 GPU cores instead of 2 will do the trick. And that's possible because the new A51/2 or A6 has a feature size of 32nm (or even 28nm) instead of 45nm.

    PowerVR specs of future chips indicate that they have the same level of performance as the ps3 at the end of the year using ony a few watts.



    J.
  • Reply 36 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post


    They can currently, so the new GPU must be 4 times as fast as the current generation. Simply switching to 8 GPU cores instead of 2 will do the trick. And that's possible because the new A51/2 or A6 has a feature size of 32nm (or even 28nm) instead of 45nm.

    PowerVR specs of future chips indicate that they have the same level of performance as the ps3 at the end of the year using ony a few watts.



    J.



    As far as I know it doesn't need to scale like that. The GPU has to push 4x as many pixels but it doesn't need 4x as many cores to do it.
  • Reply 37 of 77
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post


    He's using vectors that will have to be rasterized post scaling and at a higher ppi. So yes, it will consume more space.



    No it won't. It will use more system ram (at that moment) while running, but it won't use more space for its binary image.



    J.
  • Reply 38 of 77
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianlfl View Post


    I sure games will greatly benefit from the high def display but I'm most eager to see medical apps, like radiology, take full advantage of the 3 megapixel display. Game changer to me!



    I bet maps will look beautiful too. They often have small writing.
  • Reply 39 of 77
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    As far as I know it doesn't need to scale like that. The GPU has to push 4x as many pixels but it doesn't need 4x as many cores to do it.



    Only if the cores are more efficient or have a higher clock rate. But with the same clock rate my remark is correct.

    And I didn't state that it was the only way to achieve the required speed.

    Most of the time the number of cores increases and the clock speed at the same time.

    But, as I said, I just presented one way to do it.



    J.
  • Reply 40 of 77
    irelandireland Posts: 17,783member
    This story is all kinds of lol.
Sign In or Register to comment.