Apple reportedly hiring automotive engineers in China

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

A newly-discovered automotive job listing claims that Apple is seeking a supplier quality engineer with Chinese manufacturing experience, possibly revealing that the company is looking to extend iinto car-related products.

Citing a report from CarNewsChina.com, popular auto blog Jalopnik said on Thursday that Chinese head-hunting firm Allegis-BN is supposedly looking for a recruit to fill a position for an undisclosed Apple project.

The job posting was originally filed two weeks ago under the automotive section of LinkedIn and claims that the Cupertino, Calif., company is looking for a Supplier Quality Engineer/New Product Integration supervisor with experience in CNC/die casting/stamping/plastic injection."

From the original post:
Quote:

Apple(China) Looking for SQE/NPI with over 4 years Mechanical engineering background familiar with CNC/die casting/stamping/plastic injection, can use APQP/ PPAP/SPC to control product quality.

While the job ad mentions Apple, it should be noted that Shanghai-based Allegis-BN does not include the iPhone maker as a customer on its client list webpage.

If the ad is legitimate, however, it wouldn't be the first time Apple has been rumored to be dabbling in the automotive space, as a 2007 report claimed that the computer giant was in talks with Volkswagen over building an Apple-integrated concept car.

Currently, Apple doesn't make any official car-centric products, though Daimler recently announced a Mercedes-Benz project that heavily integrates the iPhone in the car company's next generation "infotainment" system. The German car maker says that when the product debuts, it will mark the first time a car has the ability to interface with Apple's Siri voice-recognition software.

The Drive Kit Plus will make its debut in the A-class line and is expected to be included in the German company's B-, C- and E-Class cars by this fall.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Well, the iPhone nano rumors didn't work.

And the tiny iPad rumors didn't work.

And the television rumors aren't working.

Apple must be making a car, then.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

yep it's the iCar and mini version the iBike

It will be electric, get up to 10 hours a charge. Only seat one and will be controlled by Siri
  • Reply 3 of 51
    I could easily see Apple coming out with a gold standard car integration system using iOS technology. They could license it to auto manufacturers much like AirPlay to audio companies and make it drool worthy for any new car buyer.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

It will be electric, get up to 10 hours a charge. Only seat one and will be controlled by Siri

My thoughts exactly.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

I like the idea of car usage based on hours instead of miles. Drive for seven hours. If that's 500 miles or if that's 150 miles, that's fine. Still have three hours of charge left.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    Having used Microsoft's "cutting edge" MyFord Touch product in Ford's latest vehicles,... I can only imagine how nice it would have been to have an Apple-designed system instead!
  • Reply 7 of 51
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:

...and will be controlled by Siri

But what happens when you shout "Oh shit!"?
  • Reply 8 of 51
    Obviously they aren't making a car, but i can totally see an istereo car audio system, apple could quickly become the next allpine brand of stereo's for automobiles heh.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    Quote:

Maybe an Iputter controled by SIRI.lol:
  • Reply 10 of 51
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

Is CarNewsChina.com owned by Digitimes?

• Reply 11 of 51
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member
    The rumor is that Apple is going to be making high-end Transmissions and Radiators, such as one dub the iRad? which will retail for between $1699 - $1899 and will come out in 2016.

In other news, Apple has nowhere said the "iPad 3" is being introduced on March the 7th. Such a rumor, likely it's going to be the iSlate tabletop computer we've all been waiting on.

Again, Apple DID NOT or has not said ONE THING about a product called "iPad 3" even existing.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

But what happens when you shout "Oh shit!"?

Siri: "I have found five restrooms. Three of which are fairly close by!"

/

/

/
  • Reply 13 of 51
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

No iVan or iTruck? But maybe a secret iPlane will arrive in mid 2013, since the iPad is already FTA approved this ought to be peanuts.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by APPLEBIRD View Post

IS APPLE ALSO HIRING a GOLF PRO

That's for the iPad FORE.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's for the iPad FORE.

That joke was so bad it gave me cancer.

Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?
  • Reply 16 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

That joke was so bad it gave me cancer.

Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

It wasn't my best. In fact, it was so bad I couldn't resist writing it after it popped into my head. I have a problem. I'm just sorry others have to suffer because of it.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Siri: "I have found five restrooms. Three of which are fairly close by!"

/

/

/

I'd hope it would be smart enough to call the ambulance. ;-)
  • Reply 18 of 51
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Could be for Google's driverless car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_driverless_car

Oh no, Apple and Google are having a neighborhood spat.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

So, I guess next year Apple will be making an eight inch car with a television in it.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Could be for Google's driverless car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_driverless_car

The problem with Apple's version is that it only takes you where it wants to go¡