Who are the Android and iOS tablet owners of Appleinsider

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I got into an argument yesterday with a friend of mine over the idea that an Apple iPad owner would have no use for an Android tablet as the iPad does everything you would possibly want to do on a tablet.

As a Asus Slider owner and a iPAD 2 owner I started to list all the strengths of each devices and I came to the conclusion that if it wasn't for the built in keyboard I probably would never own a Android tablet. I could never get real coding work done on a virtual keyboard so features like being able to run a full L.A.M.P. server, running Eclipse, full featured filemanger, full Unix/Linux terminal with BASH, CSH and pearl and so on become a mute point. I would just stick with my MacBook Air for that and use my iPAD as just the media consumption device that it was designed for.

That being said I'm really happy that Asus has a line of tablets that are perfect for the coder on the run. I no longer really use my iPAD for anything other then music creation now. Which is so awesome by the way that I will defiantly buy the iPAD 3 just for that purpose.

Android on a convertable device just rocks, the OS/keyboard combo gives you all the power you need to get real coding work done and the tablet mode still gives you the enjoyment that you come to expect. Not as good as the iPAD experience of course but very useable and enjoyable never the less.

So anyway I thought it would be fun to know who owns an Android and iOS tablet and why not just one or the other.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I got into an argument yesterday with a friend of mine over the idea that an Apple iPad owner would have no use for an Android tablet as the iPad does everything you would possibly want to do on a tablet.

As a Asus Slider owner and a iPAD 2 owner I started to list all the strengths of each devices and I came to the conclusion that if it wasn't for the built in keyboard I probably would never own a Android tablet. I could never get real coding work done on a virtual keyboard so features like being able to run a full L.A.M.P. server, running Eclipse, full featured filemanger, full Unix/Linux terminal with BASH, CSH and pearl and so on become a mute point. I would just stick with my MacBook Air for that and use my iPAD as just the media consumption device that it was designed for.

That being said I'm really happy that Asus has a line of tablets that are perfect for the coder on the run. I no longer really use my iPAD for anything other then music creation now. Which is so awesome by the way that I will defiantly buy the iPAD 3 just for that purpose.

Android on a convertable device just rocks, the OS/keyboard combo gives you all the power you need to get real coding work done and the tablet mode still gives you the enjoyment that you come to expect. Not as good as the iPAD experience of course but very useable and enjoyable never the less.

So anyway I thought it would be fun to know who owns an Android and iOS tablet and why not just one or the other.

If having a keyboard is the main issue, why not use the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard? iPad plus Apple Keyboard is far more compact and lightweight than iPad plus Android tablet. Or do you leave the iPad at home now?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

If having a keyboard is the main issue, why not use the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard? iPad plus Apple Keyboard is far more compact and lightweight than iPad plus Android tablet. Or do you leave the iPad at home now?

Oh I had one but iOS doesn't have the software or abilities that Android has when it comes to using it as development platform or even basic pc capabilities like a filemanger. My Asus Slider is able to run pretty much every linux / Unix program that I use at work and well. Apache, Pyrhon, Pearl, Ruby, Cobal, I even have a lite version of MySQL running. Plus I really need a miniSD card as I use them as my main storage and fast backups.

My iPad is strictly used for music creation now, I have invested a lot external MIDI devices, sound boosters, and other preherials that I don't see me replacing it for long while if ever. Its good at making music so why change to something that isnt.

That is why I have two devices, my Asus has really replaced my laptop and my iPad is for music.

Anybody else have a Android and iOS tablet?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Oh by the way I really like your tag at the bottom.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Oh by the way I really like your tag at the bottom.

Thanks for reminding me, it's a bit outdated and due for a change. I'm a Borowitz fan.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Oh I had one but iOS doesn't have the software or abilities that Android has when it comes to using it as development platform or even basic pc capabilities like a filemanger. My Asus Slider is able to run pretty much every linux / Unix program that I use at work and well. Apache, Pyrhon, Pearl, Ruby, Cobal, I even have a lite version of MySQL running. Plus I really need a miniSD card as I use them as my main storage and fast backups.

My iPad is strictly used for music creation now, I have invested a lot external MIDI devices, sound boosters, and other preherials that I don't see me replacing it for long while if ever. Its good at making music so why change to something that isnt.

That is why I have two devices, my Asus has really replaced my laptop and my iPad is for music.

Anybody else have a Android and iOS tablet?

So contrary to your opening post, the keyboard isn't the main issue, the software is. If there's no pro coding software for iOS, that looks like an opportunity.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

So contrary to your opening post, the keyboard isn't the main issue, the software is. If there's no pro coding software for iOS, that looks like an opportunity.

Well no it was really the fact that there was an Android tablet the had a built in keyboard that won me over. If there wasn't I would sill just have the iPad and use my MacBook Air as my main laptop. Though I still use the iPad for only one very distinct task the Asus has become my main laptop and tablet.

Apple will never open up the iPad to even 1/3 of Androids level of openness. Who cares the topic really is who owns both platforms in the tablet factor and why not just one.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

I also think so.