High Efficiency Video Coding

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm excited for the next generation of video to replace h.264. It has now been branded

High Efficiency Video Coding

HEVC for short.

Preliminary tests show an improvement over h.264 by as much as 44% depending on the usage scenario.

Quote:

This means that the HEVC codec can achieve the same quality as H.264 with a bitrate saving of around 39-44%.

HEVC is still under development and we might expect to see a further increase in performance from future versions of the draft standard.

So imagine that media downloads of moves now can deliver purchases/rentals of SD movies in under a Gigabyte of data for feature length films or 2-2.5 GB for feature length HD films.

I noticed doing a search that some SoC are already starting to integrate HEVC support into their design so that they will be ready. We also should start looking for the same because HEVC is going to be ratified early 2013 and likely there will be enough new hardware out to start testing the format right away.

People with bandwidth caps or slow connections need a way of accessing downloadable content in the most efficient package as well. Any streaming service that can switch to HEVC will reap huge savings as well.

Plus HEVC supports up to 8K video.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I'm sure it'll be 2014 before we ever actually see anything and 2017 before it gets widely supported.

Ugh. Ticks me off so fricking much. This codec is so amazing.

I still call it h.265, but that's me. It'll be the first way we see some real Super Hi-Vision content be pushed.

But I won't hesitate for a second to convert my entire iTunes library (1.2 TB in iTunes, another 100 gigs or so still not in it) to HEVC on the DAY that it's added to HandBrake.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Yup.

Big media streamers like Netflix and Apple will be looking to leverage it quickly but it'll take a while for the smaller establishments to hope on board unless data caps for broadband lines begin to be enforced.

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-n...ll-Android-SoC

SoC integration

Qualcomm Shows off h.265

Impressive
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Impressive

HALF the file size. HALF the BITRATE. Same quality. That's glorious.

I see things like this and I'm infuriated. Just as VGA will keep being put on computers until 2014, the industry will be so slow to actually accept HEVC that it isn't even funny.

I realize that sounds like apples and oranges, but Windows still doesn't have forced EFI after twelve years of OS X with it, etc. It's all over. The industry that supposedly changes the most rapidly (Moore's Law and corollaries) is also one of the slowest to make any change at all.

Went to your Qualcomm link and it mentioned Google's VP8 (related to WebM and all that nonsense).

And then I did some digging and found this:

Quote:

􏰐􏰂;03􏰃9􏰚,9􏰃􏰖􏰙'􏰄􏰃%􏰓:􏰄􏰃,􏰊70,/􏰅􏰃􏰚,8􏰃8􏰂􏰋3􏰂1􏰂.,39􏰊􏰅􏰀􏰚􏰂􏰋􏰚07􏰃#􏰁􏰃5071472,3.0􏰃􏰛􏰚􏰂􏰊0􏰃89􏰂􏰊􏰊􏰃-0􏰂3􏰋􏰃 :3/07􏰃 􏰚0,;􏰅􏰃 /0;0􏰊452039􏰃 ,3/􏰃 9089􏰂3􏰋􏰕􏰃 􏰂98􏰃 1:9:70􏰃 􏰂389,39􏰂,9􏰂438􏰃 􏰠0􏰂9􏰚07􏰃 􏰛􏰂9􏰚􏰂3􏰃 9􏰚0􏰃 1:9:70􏰃 89,3/,7/􏰃 47􏰃 􏰛􏰂9􏰚􏰂3􏰃􏰞􏰗􏰍􏰘􏰃47􏰃'!􏰔􏰃,8􏰃,􏰃-,9907􏰅􏰃41􏰃459􏰂43,􏰊􏰃􏰰􏰚􏰂􏰋􏰚􏰀011􏰂.􏰂03.􏰅􏰱􏰃944􏰊8􏰡􏰃2,􏰅􏰃-0􏰋􏰂3􏰃94􏰃705􏰊,.0􏰃􏰇'􏰄􏰑􏰖􏰉􏰗􏰍􏰘􏰃 ,3/􏰃'!􏰔􏰃􏰂3􏰃#􏰴􏰁􏰃0114798􏰃􏰛􏰂9􏰚􏰂3􏰃9􏰚0􏰃30􏰞9􏰃􏰗􏰃􏰅0,78􏰃,3/􏰃􏰛􏰂9􏰚􏰂3􏰃574/:.98􏰃,3/􏰃807;􏰂.08􏰃􏰛􏰂9􏰚􏰂3􏰃􏰭=􏰌􏰃􏰅0,78􏰉􏰃􏰃

Er? okay, I can't copy text from PDFs, I guess.

The last sentence in the Conclusion section, then.

Good to know that a pre-acceptance HEVC performs as good as it does.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

... Windows still doesn't have forced EFI after twelve years of OS X with it, etc. It's all over. ...

You are mistaken. Apple adopted EFI for its Mac computers with its switch to Intel processors. That was in 2006 or six years ago. Apple's PPC-based computers ran Open Firmware.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

You are mistaken. Apple adopted EFI for its Mac computers with its switch to Intel processors. That was in 2006 or six years ago. Apple's PPC-based computers ran Open Firmware.

Indeed, thanks. I wonder why I thought different?
  • Reply 6 of 10

IT'S OUT. It has been finalized! Let the insanity begin!

Who thinks iTunes will support it in files come September? 

Who thinks Apple will move all their video content to it by the end of the year?

And how long will we have to wait for HandBrake to add it so we can reencode all our old stuff?

• Reply 7 of 10

And here's the next step after that, if Jim Jannard can get some traction with the studios.

http://www.red.com/products/red-ray

• Reply 8 of 10

Originally Posted by dcsimages View Post

And here's the next step after that, if Jim Jannard can get some traction with the studios.

http://www.red.com/products/red-ray

Bah. Call me when it does SHV.

• Reply 9 of 10
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Very similar technology maybe?

Indeed, thanks. I wonder why I thought different
  • Reply 10 of 10

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Very similar technology maybe?

Yep, that'd be it. Get an idea in your head when you don't really know the details and it's a pain to scrub it out and get the proper stuff in place, you know?