Samsung Securities says 7" 'iPad mini' coming in Q3 2012, Apple investigating flexible panels

Comments

• Reply 61 of 293
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    They made a big deal about textbooks and education. I'm thinking small, cheap, low storage iPad with A5X SoC exclusively for education, and the normal one with A6 for everyone else.
  • Reply 62 of 293
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'm sorry, I can't really reconcile the 2 simultaneous desires you want for the iPad. You want it to use it for MS office, yet you want it to be smaller? And you want it to be smaller so it can.. become a Macbook Air replacement? Your wants seem utterly contradictory and irrational. If I wanted a MBA replacement I'd want a BIGGER iPad, not a smaller one. More so if I wanted to use it primarily for productivity work like Excel/PPT which require keyboard input, and would be much more frustrating and unuseable with a smaller screen.

That being said, there's strong rumours Office for iPad will be revealed soon, so there's that.

A long time ago, I managed to do my spreasheets and presentations on an SE/30 on VGA, I do prefer to do them on my 27 inch iMac, or, unfortunately, on my employers HP 24"/Win7. I see no problems in updating my spreadsheets and presentations on a 7" when traveling, and all the rest I need when out of town I can do on a 7". A 10" forces me to bring a briefcase wherever I go, in which case I would bring my MBA, making the purchase of an iPad meaningless for me.
  • Reply 63 of 293
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

They made a big deal about textbooks and education. I'm thinking small, cheap, low storage iPad with A5X SoC exclusively for education, and the normal one with A6 for everyone else.

Forcing every single textbook already made to be REMADE for the new screen.

I don't think so.

• Reply 64 of 293
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dazabrit View Post

The benefits of a 7" model in my opinion:

Better for bedtime reading and browsing

Better for travelling

Great size for a Sat Nav/In car unit

Good size for children

Great size for portable gaming (more so than the iPod touch)

Makes a good A5 notebook

The size & weight will allow even more businesses to utilise them everywhere (9.7" can be a bit cumbersome on the shop floor but great for meetings)

"Great size for a Sat Nav/In car unit"

...For a [navigation] direction lasting more than four hours -- you should seek the services of a physician

• Reply 65 of 293
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RPT View Post

I know exactly what the current unit is like, after all I gave one to my wife. And I do not believe there is one ideal size and not possible to make a smaller one that I, and many other, would like better. When i only had a MBP 15", I believed that that size was the perfect size and a smaller screen would not work. Having had an 11' MBA for a year I have clearly seen that 11" is a much better size for my use.

So show me a music sheet app on a 7" iPad then?
  • Reply 66 of 293
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

You have no imagination.

That's not true. So tell me the advantage of being able to roll up my iPad. Don't give me gimmicks.
  • Reply 67 of 293
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by netrox View Post

Here's the problem: Steve Jobs is dead. He's no longer with us. Tim Cook is the CEO and he makes decisions which may not be what Steve Jobs wanted.

Steve Jobs simply told Tim Cook that Tim Cook can do whatever works best for Apple.

I trust Tim Cook to do his job and so far, he has done extremely well.

Why is everyone so focused on Tim Cook? He hasn't the aesthtics or vision to replace Jobs. Jobs said that his chosen successor was Jonny Ives and that he had engineered the power structures within Apple so that Ives would have more operational power than anyone else. http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._at_apple.html
  • Reply 68 of 293
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That's not true. So tell me the advantage of being able to roll up my iPad. Don't give me gimmicks.

You can hit flies with it, just like a real newspaper*!

*Apple is not responsible for the iRoll breaking when you swat flies with it.
  • Reply 69 of 293
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

You're being pragmatic here. No one has demonstrated why you would need a tablet that can be rolled up. There are some case uses in which a flexible panel might have a niche but for general use no one has presented why this would be needed.

I'm not eve going to get into technical issues of such a device in 2012.
  • Reply 70 of 293
    Quote:

So show me a music sheet app on a 7" iPad then?

I don't have a clue, but I never said that the 7" was for you, however it would be pretty good for me, and I believe a lot of others, including some people who make go with Android.
  • Reply 71 of 293
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It'll eat into the sales of the 'regular' iPad.

Ain't happening. Apple has no need to tinker with a BLOCKBUSTER product for which there is zero competition.

+1 perfect
  • Reply 72 of 293
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studentx View Post

So how does the battery roll up?

Minor detail.
  • Reply 73 of 293
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It'll eat into the sales of the 'regular' iPad.

Ain't happening. Apple has no need to tinker with a BLOCKBUSTER product for which there is zero competition.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

+1 perfect

Not so sure, here...

Paraphrasing Tim Cook and Pogo -- "We have met the competition and they are us!"

• Reply 74 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Why is everyone so focused on Tim Cook? He hasn't the aesthtics or vision to replace Jobs. Jobs said that his chosen successor was Jonny Ives and that he had engineered the power structures within Apple so that Ives would have more operational power than anyone else. http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._at_apple.html

I think you are misinterpreting that article. Tim Cook is the CEO. That gives him the most power and control. Cook can fire Ives (not that he would or he would probably need board approval) but Ives can't fire Cook. Remember, it was the CEO that gave Ives this additional freedom.

What Steve has done is given operational autonomy to Ives. Clearly Ives has proven himself time and time again, and surely by working with Ives over the years Jobs realized that the more freedom he was afforded the better the yields. Since he seems to be a very creative engineer this leap seems easy to make.
  • Reply 75 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

+1 perfect

If Apple doesn't start expanding is product range, it will follow the dinosaurs, and making a 7 inch has very low development cost, and however much I like Apple, having had about 20 Macs since my first in 1989, I never admired it's arrogance. Give the customers the respect of giving them a choice. One size doesn't fit all.
  • Reply 76 of 293
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Forcing every single textbook already made to be REMADE for the new screen.

I don't think so.

They were made for todays iPad resolution. The smaller one would almost certainly use that same resolution. Why would everything have to be remade then?
  • Reply 77 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

They were made for todays iPad resolution. The smaller one could use that same resolution.

That is the real beauty of the 7 inch!
  • Reply 78 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RPT View Post

If Apple doesn't start expanding is product range, it will follow the dinosaurs, and making a 7 inch has very low development cost, and however much I like Apple, having had about 20 Macs since my first in 1989, I never admired it's arrogance. Give the customers the respect of giving them a choice. One size doesn't fit all.

I agree that Apple should expand its product range but I think they should do it because it will benefit their bottom line and help sustain growth rates. But I don't think that Apple is arrogant because they choose not to cater to every possible person with their product offerings. Clearly they are successful because of their strict focus. This is actually harder to do than throwing everything you can think of at the world and hoping for something to stick.

Now I can see a 5-8" iPod Touch. I can see Apple having component supply issues which could lead to lost sales and possibly diseconomy of scale with trying to obtain 80-120 million iPad 3 2048x1536 displays in 2012. To me this leaves a good opportunity to relieve pressure by offering an additional size device that will still be profitable and will better balance out supply and demand.
  • Reply 79 of 293
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Im goona start my own rumor. The 7" flexible device is actually the iPhone 6 with 4g.
  • Reply 80 of 293
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

[...] The gray haired gent on the right looks like a 1960's secret agent who might pull a silenced semi-auto pistol from his shoulder holster.

Wow. It's Fred Willard!

And the guy with the neck strap is saying "Break! Break! Shatter! Oh dang. I wanted that screen to break..."