Samsung Securities says 7" 'iPad mini' coming in Q3 2012, Apple investigating flexible panels

Comments

• Reply 121 of 293
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Not a good argument. It could have been used in the late 1960's to describe GM. Or the mid '70's to describe IBM. Or the late '90's to describe Cisco, or any number of other tech stocks. Pets.com, anyone?

..and it was when these companies started grasping at straws by doing nitche variations that they fell from the top. Apple of the late 80 and early 90s included

I think iPhone and iPad still has legs to revolutionalize in the mainstream like Siri before they chase nitches. Once they stop focus on the core and start offering 10 colors and 5 sizes and special edition versions like they did with the iPod line then I will worry.

Note iPod went on the decline around that time and the focus shifted to iPhone and iPod touch.
  • Reply 122 of 293
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RPT View Post

I like your bottom line (Bottom line: So far there is no relevant tablet market, there is only an iPad market.) Still I believe that the reason for not having a 7" market is that there is no iPad there.

Let's reexamine what you disagreed with in Addabox's statement...
    Quote:

They've never been about chasing after market share via product proliferation. If Apple thinks there's a good user experience to be had at 7", they'll do something about it. But they won't be remotely swayed by bogus claims of "what they must do",

That difference between his and your statements is that you believe that there is a market for a 7" device from Apple. He never stated his opinion on if there is a market for non-10" iPads.
  • Reply 123 of 293
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX

So is this a real concern for Samsung Securities or a weak attempt to get people's not to buy the 10" iPad in hopes of a 7" model coming soon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum

My first reaction is that this is a planned leak by Samsung as an attempt to dampen sales of the iPad 3 -- some people will delay buying, thinking a new model is coming in 6-7 months.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tune View Post

LMAO !!!!!!!

Do you really think this news will make it out of sites like AI?

You're either jealous, delusional or both.

Ahh.... but we're both adults who have some knowledge and experience in the real world!
  • Reply 124 of 293
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    Apple is lagging behind in terms of display technology. Apple now depends on Samsung and others for these news flexible displays. Apple needs to develop its own technology in display, flash memory, batteries etc, rather than repackaging what's available on the market.
  • Reply 125 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Apple is lagging behind in terms of display technology. Apple now depends on Samsung and others for these news flexible displays. Apple needs to develop its own technology in display, flash memory, batteries etc, rather than repackaging what's available on the market.

960x640 3.5" IPS display in 2010.

2048x1536 9.7" IPS display in 2012.

Yep, really lagging¡
  • Reply 126 of 293
    tunetune Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So is this a real concern for Samsung Securities or a weak attempt to get people's not to buy the 10" iPad in hopes of a 7" model coming soon?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

My first reaction is that this is a planned leak by Samsung as an attempt to dampen sales of the iPad 3 -- some people will delay buying, thinking a new model is coming in 6-7 months.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ahh.... but we're both adults who have some knowledge and experience in the real world!

Dear venerable AI member

Keep your delusional insights to yourselves.

It makes you, a seemingly intelligent person, and everyone else look bad.
  • Reply 127 of 293
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    I'd like to see Solipsm's face when Apple switches over to the OLED.
  • Reply 128 of 293
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Samsung is just gaming their own stock. This type of sh$$ is said all the time.

And those flexible panels are no way ready for prime time use.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyols...eens-for-2012/
  • Reply 129 of 293
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Let's reexamine what you disagreed with in Addabox's statement...

That difference between his and your statements is that you believe that there is a market for a 7" device from Apple. He never stated if he thinks there is only that he believes Apple will release one if there is a viable financial gain to having one.

Obviously that is right, Apple is not, and hopefully will not be so desperate that they pursue what they don't believe in. That is the terminal disease for a corporation. Still I think that a major objective of this forum should be to discuss what WE think makes sense for Apple, not just praising them for what they do. Apple may be the most successful company in corporate history, but the same history keeps changing, and the loser now will be later to win, to quote Steve J, who obviously himself quoted.
  • Reply 130 of 293
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Edit: Why do the four people in the background look like they are fixing to assault the photographer? The Korean woman on the left is looking at the Korean guy like "So you gonna do something about this?" and the guy looks VERY uncomfortable. The gray haired gent on the right looks like a 1960's secret agent who might pull a silenced semi-auto pistol from his shoulder holster.

Lol
  • Reply 131 of 293
    Quote:

Obviously that is right, Apple is not, and hopefully will not be so desperate that they pursue what they don't believe. That is the terminal disease of a corporation. Still I think that a major objective of this forum should be to discuss what WE think makes sense for Apple, not just praising them for what they do. Apple may be the most successful company in corporate history, but the same history keep changing, and the loser now will be later to win, to quote Steve J, who obviously himself quoted.

This forum and many like it are ripe with people stating what they think is right for Apple. The problem I see is that too many state their opinions as unquestionable fact and are too often not looking at Apple's best interest but designing what they think is the ideal product for them.

I don't see Apple using a lot of different sizes just to saturate a market. If there is any market they have the greatest challenge in unit share it's with the iPhone yet that has stayed at 3.5" even when other vendors have moved to larger devices which is much easier for them to market as being better than the iPhone.

Some will say that Apple has plenty of Mac display iPod display sizes but those OSes are different. To use a different size touch-baed display changes the usability of the device so you need to change the UI to accommodate.

Personally I don't see financial gain for a 7" iPad but I do see one for a 5-8" iPod Touch. I think this would allow Apple to compete more closely with the cheaper quality of the Kindle Touch and other such tablets while still turning a profit and without hurting the iPad brand, there 2nd more profitable arm and one that could be their most profitable in a couple years.

I also see an opportunity for a 4" iPhone if they can reduce the bezel and thickness so that you can still do a thumb sweep in one hand. You can't feasibly go any larger and still have the 3:2 aspect ratio. To wit, Android phones with large display using aspect ratios that make them thinner. One could argue that Apple could alter the size and aspect ratio as it made sense for the iPad but I would expect Apple to keep the aspect ratio inline for their handsets.
  • Reply 132 of 293
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    This means my fat ass wife can sit on the iPad and it wont break. Wow got to get one when it comes out.
  • Reply 133 of 293
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Just like that, eh? All of a sudden out of thin friggin air?

Yeah, no problem.

In the meantime, on planet Earth, there is still nothing as good as Retina, whether it comes from Samsung or whoever else.
  • Reply 134 of 293
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Giant Rollup tv? ummm... it's called a projector.
  • Reply 135 of 293
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    Quote:

This forum and many like it are ripe with people stating what they think is right for Apple. The problem I see is that too many state their opinions as unquestionable fact and are too often not looking at Apple's best interest but designing what they think is the ideal product for them.

I don't see Apple using a lot of different sizes just to saturate a market. If there is any market they have the greatest challenge in unit share it's with the iPhone yet that has stayed at 3.5" even when other vendors have moved to larger devices which is much easier for them to market as being better than the iPhone.

Some will say that Apple has plenty of Mac display iPod display sizes but those OSes are different. To use a different size touch-baed display changes the usability of the device so you need to change the UI to accommodate.

Personally I don't see financial gain for a 7" iPad but I do see one for a 5-8" iPod Touch. I think this would allow Apple to compete more closely with the cheaper quality of the Kindle Touch and other such tablets while still turning a profit and without hurting the iPad brand, there 2nd more profitable arm and one that could be their most profitable in a couple years.

I also see an opportunity for a 4" iPhone if they can reduce the bezel and thickness so that you can still do a thumb sweep in one hand. You can't feasibly go any larger and still have the 3:2 aspect ratio. To wit, Android phones with large display using aspect ratios that make them thinner. One could argue that Apple could alter the size and aspect ratio as it made sense for the iPad but I would expect Apple to keep the aspect ratio inline for their handsets.

I disagree about the 7 inch market potential, and I don't quite see the difference between iPad and iPod, Apple have to maintain the quality. Given the current iPad resolution, a 7 inch should not be a major undertaking as development is concerned, there is in my opinion much unused real estate on the current iPad screen.

Regarding the iPhone, the only reservation I had when I got my first one was the size. I sincerely hope that Apple will not increase the physical size, but within those limits there is still room for improvement, a larger active screen should be feasible, but if the music app could have some more distance between the new/previous buttons and the play/stop it would be an improvement. To many times in the middle of a chapter of an audiobook I have hit the wrong button.
  • Reply 136 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

There are researchers (both academic and corporate R&D labs) working on flexible batteries, and a number of working prototypes have been shown to work.

I reckon they will have a bit more trouble with flexible processors that actually work reliably after being rolled up a few times unless they completely abandon the idea of putting all processing components on a single piece of silicon.
  • Reply 137 of 293
    Quote:

I don't quite see the difference between iPad and iPod, Apple have to maintain the quality.

Think about it from a business perspective. You should be able to create a case for a 7" device being marketed as either an iPod Touch or iPad and have rational reasons to back your case up.

PS: You say "maintain quality' but not that even in the iPod Touch Apple uses a low quality display to keep the price down.
  • Reply 138 of 293
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I really don't understand people need to dismiss all reason when it comes to hardware sizes. Further I can't understand why people can't recognize that one of Steve's great strengths was marketing. A key consideration with marketing is that you can only sell what you have available at the time. You can take that to mean you can flush anything Steve had to say about screen size and aspect ratios down the toilet.

I don't mean that in a bad way just that all these quotes about what Steve said are total nonsense. Aple has proven iOS to be a successful strategy for tablets, they will eventually grow from the iPad base they have created.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's not simply about what Steve felt. It's about what actually works in practice. Apple likes things to be smaller, if 7" worked they'd be more likely to make it 7" then 10". They made it 10" because it works better. Own an iPad for 6 months and you'll understand. 9.7" at a 4:3 ratio is smaller than you'd think. A DVD is 9" for example. You can only truly understand this having owned and used one for a few months. So I'm not trying to convince you because you don't know you're just going to have to trust me.

Imagine you make your living on your feet, be it doctor, field engineer, construction manager or whatever and you need an iPad like device you can carry in your pocket. The current iPad won't cut it. I've actually seen many an iPod Touch adopted by such people. Almost everyone of those people using a Touch would jump at a chance to have a sub seven inch device.

Quote:

That's fixable. It'll be fixed.

• Reply 139 of 293
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Yay finally a 7 inch, Christmas stocking stuffers. I love the 7 inch size, I had a B&N Nook Color in which I rooted and installed MIUI on to it. I used it all the time on the train until I got my Samsung Note. Now it belongs to my daughter, we bought her an iPad for her birthday last November but I always see her with Nook. When I asked her why she wasn't using her iPad she said because it can't do this and throws the thing into her purse. She does use the iPad to but she keeps it at home and uses the Nook as her little traveling buddy. Well until her hand mobile contract is up in April then she wants a Note like me so the Nook will go to my son.

I think there is a large market for people who just want a small tablet for traveling. Have you seen the new Galaxy Tab 7.7 wow that is a nice tablet.
  • Reply 140 of 293
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:

I disagree about the 7 inch market potential, and I don't quite see the difference between iPad and iPod, Apple have to maintain the quality.

you don't see the difference because you don't have solipsismx's rationalising prowess. It's his way of saying that if apple do release a 7" tablet they won't be flip flopping on their previous stance (which at the point they chose it it was 100% justified strategically I am with him too in that, and I said so then) but they would be just releasing a large iPod instead. No matter what apple decides to call it -and I will wager it will be an iPad mini, and we are also going to see slightly enlarged iPod touches to match me iPhones- it will still be a 7-8" tablet. To claim as he does that if they make a third screen size segment (assuming they marginally enlarge iPhone-pods which they will) with the same iOS interface these are not going to be iPad minis but larger iPod touches while iOS will be pretty much be the same interface with size adjustments, is such a ludicrous hair splitting argument, but a token one for my desicion to never engage in a disagreement with him here, as I find it utterly pointless.