Samsung Securities says 7" 'iPad mini' coming in Q3 2012, Apple investigating flexible panels

Comments

• Reply 141 of 293
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

..and it was when these companies started grasping at straws by doing nitche variations that they fell from the top. Apple of the late 80 and early 90s included

First a sub seven inch device is not a niche product. If you take time to screw up the courage to actually talk to people that own and use Kindles you will find out that size is an issue.

Quote:

I think iPhone and iPad still has legs to revolutionalize in the mainstream like Siri before they chase nitches.

and give up a significant share of the market to others? I think not. Your. Characterization of sub seven inch devices as niche devices is so I'll informed as to crush your credibility.

Quote:

Once they stop focus on the core and start offering 10 colors and 5 sizes and special edition versions like they did with the iPod line then I will worry.

Personalization in the cell phone market comes via the market in cases. Apples colored iPods actually where very successful.

Quote:

Note iPod went on the decline around that time and the focus shifted to iPhone and iPod touch.

Both of which are iPods. Which means Appple is actually selling more IPods than ever.
  • Reply 142 of 293
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Apple will make the products that deliver the best user experience as they see it. They've never been about chasing after market share via product proliferation. If Apple thinks there's a good user experience to be had at 7", they'll do something about it. But they won't be remotely swayed by bogus claims of "what they must do", any more than they felt they needed to make a netbook or an xMac-- despite the many and fervent claims that Apple would be obliged to respond to competition in those markets or risk being left behind. Seems to have worked out pretty well for them.

Sorry, but this doesn't stack up.

Yes, Apple have looked to deliver the best user experience.

But they have not shunned product proliferation to suit the needs of different consumers.

Their most successful product line in terms of market domination has been the iPod, where they offered a large range of products of different physical sizes and different price points.

They have a range of macbooks, at various prices, with screen sizes from 11.6" to 17"

They have a range of iMacs with screen sizes from 21.5" to 27".

Apple don't say 15" is the optimal size for user experience for a laptop, that's all we'll make. They credit their customers with having different needs, preferences, and disposable income. They recognise that some may prioritise portability and go for their smallest form factor, while others won't mind a bulkier device to get the benefits of a bigger screen and more power.

Why shouldn't Apple adopt this approach with tablets? It is not un-Apple.

I suspect we will see an 8" iPad later this year, (30% greater area than a 7"). And I'll be up for one.
  • Reply 143 of 293
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RPT View Post

I do not care what was Steve Jobs opinions about an ideal size; I want a 7 inch unit, and I am not going to buy a larger one,

then don't buy one. But don't assume Apple will ever make a smaller one to make you happy or to 'compete' with anyone. Because it is highly highly unlikely to happen.
  • Reply 144 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

You can file it for claim chowder but I see absolutely no reason why there should't be a 7.85" iPad. One size does NOT fit all and there are always scenarios where a smaller iPad could excel (Point of Sale, Inventory tracking etc)

People are doing just fine with the current equipment. Why fill a need that is already being filled with current models
  • Reply 145 of 293
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevt View Post

Sorry, but this doesn't stack up.

Yes, Apple have looked to deliver the best user experience.

But they have not shunned product proliferation to suit the needs of different consumers.

Their most successful product line in terms of market domination has been the iPod, where they offered a large range of products of different physical sizes and different price points.

They have a range of macbooks, at various prices, with screen sizes from 11.6" to 17"

They have a range of iMacs with screen sizes from 21.5" to 27".

Apple don't say 15" is the optimal size for user experience for a laptop, that's all we'll make. They credit their customers with having different needs, preferences, and disposable income. They recognise that some may prioritise portability and go for their smallest form factor, while others won't mind a bulkier device to get the benefits of a bigger screen and more power.

Why shouldn't Apple adopt this approach with tablets? It is not un-Apple.

I suspect we will see an 8" iPad later this year, (30% greater area than a 7"). And I'll be up for one.

Ugh! Look at the primary I/O of iOS. You can't expand and shrink the display size and aspect ratio without considering how this effects the UX. This is very much different for a windowed OS that uses a mouse pointer and keyboard for its primary input.

The iPod is an even more ridiculous concept as there is no development platform so they could alter the display size, resolution and aspect ratio as they saw fit because adjusting the UI was comparatively simple but that is also like the Mac in that the display was not how your input actions into the system.

Surely you have to realize that we are in the 5th generation of the iPhone and iPod Touch and yet the display size and aspect ratio hasn't' altered, and the resolution has only altered when they scale by a factor of two so that 3rd-party apps will still render correctly even if they haven't used the then newly released SDK to compile for the Retina Display. How many times did the other iPod displays alter size, resolution and aspect ratio? I seem to recall 1 or more of these changes changing every year for the iPod Nano on several occasions.
  • Reply 146 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Speaking of 7" tablets, has there been any news lately about Kindle Fire sales?

<crickets chirping>

Not really. We never got a number for just the Fire and of course they dont adjust for returns.
  • Reply 147 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by netrox View Post

Here's the problem: Steve Jobs is dead. He's no longer with us. Tim Cook is the CEO and he makes decisions which may not be what Steve Jobs wanted.

Steve Jobs simply told Tim Cook that Tim Cook can do whatever works best for Apple.

I trust Tim Cook to do his job and so far, he has done extremely well.

While perhaps this is true, don't assume that Tim Cook is going to toss out everything Apple has already started, has planned etc simply because Steve is dead and can't stop him.

You can bet that Tim understands why Steve made the choices he made and could come to the same conclusions
  • Reply 148 of 293
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

First a sub seven inch device is not a niche product. If you take time to screw up the courage to actually talk to people that own and use Kindles you will find out that size is an issue.

So, just to clarify:

Kindles are selling because of their size, and not just their cheap price.

Is that your reasoning?

Then why aren't these people buying iPhones and Galaxy S's, which are a hell of a lot smaller and just as functional?
  • Reply 149 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Price? $299 Wifi only and $399 Wifi and 3G. Smaller iPad for the kids, larger one for the 'rents. That would kill the Fire.

the iPad is already killing the Fire.
  • Reply 150 of 293
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

There are researchers (both academic and corporate R&D labs) working on flexible batteries, and a number of working prototypes have been shown to work.

Apple would never incorporate a prototype item into a product because they could never get the prototype item in the volume they would require. A flexible battery prototype would be 2-3 years from becoming a possible mass producible item.
  • Reply 151 of 293
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

then don't buy one. But don't assume Apple will ever make a smaller one to make you happy or to 'compete' with anyone. Because it is highly highly unlikely to happen.

Get off your hi horse for a moment there and understand that apple are in the market to both compete with other tech companies and make their customers happy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

People are doing just fine with the current equipment. Why fill a need that is already being filled with current models

I wonder what you ll be saying in a few months when that 7-8" hits the market...
  • Reply 152 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

High contrast AMOLED displays on Android phones are the new Pepsi Challenge. Just as people preferred the sweetness of Pepsi in taste tests when only drinking a small amount people will say they prefer high contrast images when only given a small amount.
    Full disclosure: I just made all that up but it sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

I like the analogy. And yes, Pepsi is too sweet.
  • Reply 153 of 293
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I wonder what you ll be saying in a few months when that 7-8" hits the market...

Is what they said last year at this time, just for reference.
  • Reply 154 of 293
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RPT View Post

but the same history keeps changing, and the loser now will be later to win, to quote Steve J, who obviously himself quoted.

Who? I think you might be referring to some other old guy with a scraggly gray beard, What's his name, Robert Zimmerman. It's the "Times they are a' changin'".
  • Reply 155 of 293
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member
    If there is a new product, it will be a larger iPod touch, with a 6" screen. It will also have a Wacom-tech stylus, HWR, and be known unofficially as the iNewt.

The only reason for the 7" screen is that's what the factories can produce after Apple buys all the normal size screens.

Cheers
  • Reply 156 of 293
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is what they said last year at this time, just for reference.

For sure, but I didn't say it back then because I didnt see any strategic reason of apple coming up with one. This year I firmly believe that the iPad has matured enough for apple to opt for a smaller screen too, as well as a tangible market for smaller devices has also arisen.
  • Reply 157 of 293
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    Apple needs to put its vast array of multi-touch patents to use and sue the sh** of Andriod and Samsung. This would have been Jobs' next step. More important, it is the right thing to do. It is time for Apple to throw the hammer down

In parallel, Apple needs to completely terminate Samsung as a parts vendor. Completely and quickly. I have no doubt Samsung is sharing Apple secrets internally across off it's key divisions

Like this crap (if true)
  • Reply 158 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

For sure, but I didn't say it back then because I didnt see any strategic reason of apple coming up with one. This year I firmly believe that the iPad has matured enough for apple to opt for a smaller screen too, as well as a tangible market for smaller devices has also arisen.

But when I say the same thing you get your panties in a bunch.
  • Reply 159 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Apple needs to put its vast array of multi-touch patents to use and sue the sh** of Andriod and Samsung. This would have been Jobs' next step. More important, it is the right thing to do. It is time for Apple to throw the hammer down

In parallel, Apple needs to completely terminate Samsung as a parts vendor. Completely and quickly. I have no doubt Samsung is sharing Apple secrets internally across off it's key divisions

Like this crap (if true)

Apple dropping Samsung as a supplier and foundry would cost Apple a lot of money just as Samsung dropping Apple as a customer would cost Samsung a lot of money.

It looks like Apple is working on reducing Samung's need but the need is still there and will likely be there for a long time.
  • Reply 160 of 293
    shadowxprshadowxpr Posts: 162member
    Flexible screens are not even close to the retina displays apple needs. Not to mention that for a flexible tab,et the other components will have to become smaller or flexible for a viable form factor. I have not seen concept that will truly work for daily use.

I mean batteries, motherboard/chips, etc... Will have to become flexible or a lot smaller it will take years IMHO.