Samsung Securities says 7" 'iPad mini' coming in Q3 2012, Apple investigating flexible panels

Comments

• Reply 181 of 293
    mhdmhd Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Samsung makes devices in every size just in case. Not Apple.

Apple makes iPod Touch, iPod Classic, Shuffle, and Nano.

They will make a smaller tablet.
  • Reply 182 of 293
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you had a solid grasp of English I don't think you'd start to comprehension language a little better and wouldn't add absolutes to comments that were never implied.

Quote:

If you had a solid grasp of English you'd start to comprehend language a little better and wouldn't add absolutes to comments that were never implied.

Fixed.

And I 've wagered they ll make an iPad mini and increase the iPod sizes according to the new iPhone display size. So we shall see what they choose in the end.
  • Reply 183 of 293
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MHD View Post

You sound like myapplelove when you make these absolute statements and use irrelevant examples to justify your unqualified claims.
    • Apple could make a smaller tablet. √

• Apple should make a smaller tablet √

• Apple will make a smaller tablet. X

You guys should really learn the difference.
  • Reply 184 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

And I 've wagered they ll make an iPad mini and increase the iPod sizes according to the new iPhone display size. So we shall see what they choose in the end.

I've been speculating that Apple might make a larger iPhone and iPod Touch for a couple years, including how they might best release it and when. I'm perfectly okay with you taking my ideas if it means you are actually reading.
  • Reply 185 of 293
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    If other companies start to gain traction in the 7" space then Apple will make one. Otherwise they will just cater to the lower end market using last year's model.

Maybe the Kindle has already made them decide to enter this market.
  • Reply 186 of 293
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You really think car manufacturers are going to let third party stuff where they could have full control?

Yes, and they are doing that now. Maybe not the main dashboard, but there is an open media console available that a number of vehicle manufactures are involved in
  • Reply 187 of 293
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

If other companies start to gain traction in the 7" space then Apple will make one. Otherwise they will just cater to the lower end market using last year's model.

Maybe the Kindle has already made them decide to enter this market.

That puts Apple in a reactionary mode. I don't believe any changes to the iPad size are in response to anything other than "one size does not fit all".

I think iCloud is a bigger incentive to add another size versus any competitor.
  • Reply 188 of 293
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

That puts Apple in a reactionary mode. I don't believe any changes to the iPad size are in response to anything other than "one size does not fit all".

I think iCloud is a bigger incentive to add another size versus any competitor.

They can afford to he in reactionary mode, they are on top. It's the others that have to try desperate things to unseat them, such as different form factors or selling at a loss.
  • Reply 189 of 293
    Quote:

No matter what apple decides to call it -and I will wager it will be an iPad mini, and we are also going to see slightly enlarged iPod touches to match the iPhones- it will still be a 7-8" tablet.

A wager is a wager, I don't need to qualify it with anything. Plausible arguments have time and again preceeded erroneous predictions.
  • Reply 190 of 293
    mhdmhd Posts: 63member
    Loser terminates account?
  • Reply 191 of 293
    Quote:

...if apple do release a 7" tablet they won't be flip flopping on their previous stance...

Which previous stance did Apple have on 7" tablets? Try to get some actual and full quotes when you reply. It would be nice for you to actually have a plausible argument instead of your usual erroneous assertions.

edit: LMGTFY...
    Quote:

"The reason we [won't] make a 7-inch tablet isn't because we don't want to hit that price point, it's because we think the screen is too small to express the software," Jobs said on Monday's quarterly earnings conference call. "As a software driven company we think about the software strategies first."

"We know developers aren't going to deal well with these different sizes and they have to change their software every time the screen size changes," he added. "When we make decisions on 7-inch tablets it's not about cost, it's about the value of the product when you factor in the software."

You see what I'm getting at?," Jobs continued. "So we're all about making the best products at aggressive prices and that's what we do, and that's what we will do with the iPad and iPod."

Asked by an analyst how he would respond -- and whether Apple would lose share -- if the market suddenly moves to a lower price point with fewer features, Jobs said "You're looking at it wrong, […] looking at it as a hardware manufacturer who doesn't know much about software who assumes the software will take care of itself."

"Hm, how can we make this cheaper? Well let's put a smaller screen, slower processor, less memory, and you just assume the software will somehow come alive on this product but it won't," Jobs quipped. "Developers have taken advantage of faster processors and bigger screens to make better apps for customers."

"It's a hard one," the Apple co-found said of such a strategy, "because it throws you in the chicken-and-egg question to change assumptions on developers." Most developers won't follow that lead, he suggest. Instead, they're more likely to say, "Sorry, I'm not going to write a watered down version of my app just because you can sell this version of your phone for $50 less."

Rumors of a 7-inch iPad have come from numerous publications, but were first dispersed by Taiwan's DigiTimes. In addition, other reports, largely from the Far East, have alleged that Apple is working on a smaller version of the iPad.

Those reports suggested that the current iPad is too heavy for users, and that a smaller form factor and lighter weight would be more ideal for reading.

Jobs' comments on Monday come as a number of competitors are embracing the 7-inch form factor with their own touchscreen tablets. Samsung's Galaxy Tab is set to launch this year with all four major U.S. wireless carriers, while BlackBerry plans to release its own PlayBook in early 2011.

Earlier this month, it was suggested that Apple developed a 7-inch iPad alongside the current model, but eventually opted just to release the current 9.7-inch model. Jobs' comments Monday would support that rumor, as the CEO noted that his company has done extensive research on touchscreen interfaces and what works best for users.

"We really understand this stuff," Jobs said.

And...
    Quote:

“While one could increase the resolution of the display to make up for some of the difference, it is meaningless unless your tablet also includes sandpaper so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one quarter of their present size,” Jobs said.

And...

Quote:

“The current crop of 7-inch tablets are going to be DOA, dead on arrival,” Jobs said.

Those last are usually not complete and taken out of context. You can't simply shrink everything down and expect to be the same experience you will need to adjust the UI to meet this new need. You can deny that is what Jobs meant the context is clear. You're wrong!
  • Reply 192 of 293
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    I’m taking this with as much salt as any other random tech pundant. Think about it - if Samsung knew something (as a component maker), they would be under NDA and their legal team (busy with lawsuits) isn’t going to want the headache of dealing with a blatant violation possibly affecting other IP suits.

No, this is nothing more than a “Apple has to do X” or “Apple should do X” or “Apple will do X to compete with Y”. We know how Apple appreciates outside advice on how to run their company right???
  • Reply 193 of 293
    Quote:

Loser terminates account?

Where are you? In a grade-school playground?
  • Reply 194 of 293
    Quote:

I've been speculating that Apple might make a larger iPhone and iPod Touch for a couple years, including how they might best release it and when. I'm perfectly okay with you taking my ideas if it means you are actually reading.

I am perfectly happy with your broad speculation of what apple might do, but I am not so sure about your reading, so I ll remind you that I wagered on what exactly the will do by 2012, ipad mini, and new larger screen iPhone and touches.
  • Reply 195 of 293
    Quote:

I am perfectly happy with your broad speculation of what apple might do,

You should be. I try to qualify my statement and not to state my speculative opinions as unquestionable fact.

Again, I speculate an iPad HD, an AppleTV FHD, iTunes Store FHD, updated iPod Touch. And if Apple was going to release a larger iPhone for the presumed Autumn release I think it might make sense to first launch a larger iPod Touch that would mirror the display size so that there will be little to no issues for 3rd-party apps to be adopted even though it is against Apple's grain. My reasoning is looking back on the iPad and the very few idealized apps for the platform. While this wouldn't be even close to the severity it might be more than Apple is willing to handle, which is with their grain.

Quote:

but I am not so sure about your reading, so I ll remind you that I wagered on what exactly the will do by 2012, ipad mini, and new larger screen iPhone and touches.

Can you use 'by' to mean within the stated parameter or did you just lose your own bet?

PS: Did RPT take your wager? You didn't exactly spell out any criteria for it. It read like an idiom but now you're referenced it twice like it was an actual bet. Did you guys set something up in a private conversation.
  • Reply 196 of 293
    Looks like the 30-pin connector is the same. Warning: Music sounds like it's from the intro of some light hearted 80's comedy.
  • Reply 197 of 293
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kingsmuse View Post

Even worse than it sucks at 10"

Who really wants to watch movies on a tablet anyway?

my kids do. great for trips in the car or airplane.

Quote:

Even worse than it sucks at 10"

I can easly hold a book and turn pages with one hand on a 7" tablet.

Can`t do it with an iPad

Agreed, this is why I bought a Kindle. $79.. Great battery life, great screen for reading in the day time. Get one. Dedicated buttons from turning pages.. great book reader! Buy one.

Crappy tablet however.

Quote:

7" tablet fits nicely in my inside jacket pocket.

iPad might fit in my purse, if I had a purse.

my iPhone fits in my shirt, pants or shorts pocket , don't need inside jacket pocket. Work much better especially, when its inappropriate to haul around a jacket (i.e. summer time).

Quote:

I`d buy one in a heartbeat, I have no use for the current iPad form factor so I haven`t bought one.

I highly doubt it.. you don't want to be a customer. If you really wanted an iPad, you would have bought one already. You don't want to buy one, you just want to complain. Sounds like what you want is a Kindle Fire.. go buy one and stick it in your inside coat pocket.. be happy.

Quote:

If the Kindle Fires sales numbers are any indication there`s a market for a 7" form factor.

Those numbers would explode with an Apple device.

All it proves is there is a market for cheapskates. Just like the Netbook market.

The fire is worse book reader (bad battery and bad screen compared to eInk) than the $79 Kindle and a worse tablet then an iPad. If someone gave me a Fire for x-mas, I would return it and buy one normal Kindle and spend the other $120 on something else.

Quote:

Just have to get the profit margins right and they`d be fools not to produce a 7" tablet.

the same could have been said about Netbooks.
  • Reply 198 of 293
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Just to be picky ... the most noticeable feature of roll up projector screens is how almost no one rolls them up most of the time.

Haha...so true
  • Reply 199 of 293
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

The Touch is in that list in name only, as it is an iOS device and shares the iPhone's screen size.

The other iPods actually make my point, with the evolution dependent on the following: the Classic form factor was roughly what was possible with the technology of the time when the iPod was originally released. However, technology permitting, you actually want a music player as small as possible, since the interface isn't significantly compromised by shrinking it down. Hence, once flash drives allowed it, the Mini then Nano were introduced, with the Classic retained because a big HD required the larger size. Finally, the Shuffle represented the tiniest possible personal music playback device, marketed as a gym and running adjunct, with the notable downside of having no UI at all.

None of those factors are in play with the iPad, since "small as possible" is already covered by the iPhone/Touch, and the iPad, at launch, could have been significantly smaller if Apple had opted for a smaller screen. An iPad shuffle would be pointless, the iPhone/Touch is your Mini/Nano, and the iPad itself represents what Apple believed to be the ideal device size for what they wanted to make, not a somewhat compromised device awaiting further technological innovations to shrink it down.

Apple didn't proliferate the iPod lineup just to be doing it, they shrunk it as technology permitted. For a single purpose device with limited user interaction this makes sense. For a laptop replacement it does not.
  • Reply 200 of 293
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

In my opinion, Tim would be best off if he never asks himself "What would Steve have done?"

He doesn't have to ask. He already knows. Apple has a strong record of late for focusing on what they feel is the best user experience for the 95%. Because that is who they are trying to get.

So Tim will do what he and the designers feel provides that experience. Just as Steve felt they should. Given that tech can't happen overnight it is likely everything we will see through the end of 2013 if not as far out as 2015 was started before Steve left last yer, in detail. With vague ideas already started for the ten years after that. Nature of the beast