Samsung Securities says 7" 'iPad mini' coming in Q3 2012, Apple investigating flexible panels

Comments

• Reply 241 of 293
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    If, when Apple comes out with iPad 3, they keep an iPad 2 model at a reduced price these 7" rumors will die. And Amazon, Samsung et al will be seriously screwed.
  • Reply 242 of 293
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If, when Apple comes out with iPad 3, they keep an iPad 2 model at a reduced price these 7" rumors will die. And Amazon, Samsung et al will be seriously screwed.

A 7 inch iPad isn't just about price it's about form factor much like an 11 inch Macbook Air doesn't save you but $100 over a comparably spec'd 13 inch Macbook Air.

Some people need a smaller device regardless of the price.
  • Reply 243 of 293
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think Samsung cares, I just think they don't know before they release a product.

This sucks!
  • Reply 244 of 293
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

A 7 inch iPad isn't just about price it's about form factor much like an 11 inch Macbook Air doesn't save you but $100 over a comparably spec'd 13 inch Macbook Air.

Preemptive clarification: hmurchison stated comparable spec'd which refers to the 128GB models of which there is only a $100 price difference.
  • Reply 245 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

What's the point? You can't store a 7-inch device in a pocket or something similar. It is no more portable than the current iPad. As such what is it that you can do with such a device that you can't do with an iPad.

The Touch makes some sense because you can take it with you and haul it around in situations in which the iPad wouldn't work. I carry mine around with me at work and access it for a handful of tasks on the job as well entertainment during my lunch breaks. This makes sense to me. But no way would I consider doing the same with a 7-inch tablet.

If there are settings in which a 7-inch tablet would work and the current iPad not, please specify.
  • Reply 246 of 293
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

They may know how to make flexible screens but judging from the horrible yellow cast on the original photo, they certainly don't understand white balance on their camera. Mixed light sources is a bitch but it only takes a couple minutes to fix in Photoshop. Feel free to use this one if you like.

How do you know if that pic was taken with a Samsung camera?
  • Reply 247 of 293
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

How do you know if that pic was taken with a Samsung camera?

Does Samsung make Canon cameras?

He's not saying it was taken with a Samsung camera. He's implying it was taken by Samsung. It wasn't; it was taken by oled-display.net.
  • Reply 248 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Does Samsung make Canon cameras?

He's not saying it was taken with a Samsung camera. He's implying it was taken by Samsung. It wasn't; it was taken by oled-display.net.

I'm sure if it was taken by a camera with a OLED display, the colors and brightness were exaggerated so much on the preview that the photographer probably thought the photo looked OK.
  • Reply 249 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'm sure if it was taken by a camera with a OLED display, the colors and brightness were exaggerated so much on the preview that the photographer probably thought the photo looked OK.

Are there any professional digital cameras with OLED displays?
  • Reply 250 of 293
    Quote:

Are there any professional digital cameras with OLED displays?

There are some four thirds cameras with them, but I can't seem to find any that scream 'professional'.
  • Reply 251 of 293
    Quote:

There are some four thirds cameras with them, but I can't seem to find any that scream 'professional'.

Thanks... and I learned a new term.Is it odd that I've never heard that before?
  • Reply 252 of 293
    f1ferrarif1ferrari Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

iPod sales didn't start to decline when the flash models and variations in design style were introduced over the classic. Your own chart shows that they started to decline much later in 2007.

You seem to be equating sales, to simple popularity of the basic design type and don't factor in other obvious reasons for the iPods decline like the fact that sales only really slowed when the iPhone and other iOS devices came out, which each had an iPod "inside."

You make seemingly artificial divisions between versions of iPods and ascribe their popularity to different demographic groups (which you don't define), based on nothing more than an unexplored hunch that this "type" of person likes that "type" (version) of iPod.

This is exactly how I see it. iPod sales didn't drop off just because, Apple introduced other products that included an iPod app, but had plenty of other features. There is still a market for MP3 players, I know several runners who have purchased the newest iPod Nano to replace their older players. With the iPhone and iPad becoming more and more prevalent, the iPod has moved to the back burner of Apple's product lineup.
  • Reply 253 of 293
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    The report is false.

Apple is probably feeding Samsung garbage, and forcing them to put time money and effort into a 7" copy, that will ultimately fail, even when Apple never releases the original.

And why doesn't this OLED nonsense go away? I'm sorry but its simply NOT the best thing out there.
  • Reply 254 of 293
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Apple is lagging behind in terms of display technology. Apple now depends on Samsung and others for these news flexible displays. Apple needs to develop its own technology in display, flash memory, batteries etc, rather than repackaging what's available on the market.

So your saying that Apple should develop and manufacture everything themselves from the ground up. Not going to happen EVER. Not cost effective and Apple is not a manufacturing company.

Apple's strength is in taking cutting or at least leading edge hardware technologies that can be mass produced and combining them in innovative ways with software to produce products that we didn't even know we wanted until they show them to us..
  • Reply 255 of 293
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

What's the point? You can't store a 7-inch device in a pocket or something similar. It is no more portable than the current iPad. As such what is it that you can do with such a device that you can't do with an iPad.

The Touch makes some sense because you can take it with you and haul it around in situations in which the iPad wouldn't work. I carry mine around with me at work and access it for a handful of tasks on the job as well entertainment during my lunch breaks. This makes sense to me. But no way would I consider doing the same with a 7-inch tablet.

If there are settings in which a 7-inch tablet would work and the current iPad not, please specify.

You could make the same defense about the Air in an argument about whether the 11" model should exist or not.

The questions is one of need. Does every company need the extra screen real estate of a 9.7" tablet or would many be fine with a 7.85 tablet.
  • Reply 256 of 293
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member
    Quote:

Thanks... and I learned a new term.Is it odd that I've never heard that before?

You might want to check out the Panasonic GH2 (Micro Four Thirds) - AWESOME camera!

Video mode has become a huge focus with these cameras and there are some creative hacks out there to boost image quality to crazy levels, so much so that some people are pitting the GH2 (under $1000) against much higher specced/priced cameras from RED etc ($9,000+)

Lots of great articles and tests:

http://www.eoshd.com/content/tag/gh2

Trailer for a Feature film shot on the GH2:

https://vimeo.com/33025136

I purchased the GH2 just before xmas & have since hacked it (it's really easy) for lots of upcoming video projects
  • Reply 257 of 293
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The report is false.

Apple is probably feeding Samsung garbage, and forcing them to put time money and effort into a 7" copy

If you copy your own product that is on the market, is that still a copy?

You dont seem know what is out there in the competition field do you?
  • Reply 258 of 293
    Quote:

Is it odd that I've never heard that before?

Yes, as I could have sworn I remember you mentioning them offhand a while ago. But then again, my memory's not worth the resale value of a four year old Android device.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

So your saying that Apple should develop and manufacture everything themselves from the ground up. Not going to happen EVER. Not cost effective and Apple is not a manufacturing company.

They used to be, though. Didn't Apple have their own plants for stuff here in the US?
  • Reply 259 of 293
    Quote:

Yes, as I could have sworn I remember you mentioning them offhand a while ago.

I'm pretty sure it's new to me as that oddly stated fraction stood out when you wrote it.

Quote:

But then again, my memory's not worth the resale value of a four year old Android device.

If you can't remember if your memory is poor can you be sure that it is. (Blowing your mind! )

Quote:

They used to be, though. Didn't Apple have their own plants for stuff here in the US?

I'm sure originally, back in the 70s and the even the early 80s it was more cost effective to build in the US. It seems less likely to me that this would have continued on into the 90s. I remember NeXT having a nearly fully automated plant in the US. That's the keyword though: automated.Things are certainly a lot different now. Even the components in the devices are built in multiple countries before final assembly. So where do you cut the ties to being American made? If the final assembly is in the US but all the internals are built overseas is it really American made?
  • Reply 260 of 293
    deleted