Samsung Securities says 7" 'iPad mini' coming in Q3 2012, Apple investigating flexible panels

Comments

• Reply 261 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

So your saying that Apple should develop and manufacture everything themselves from the ground up. Not going to happen EVER. Not cost effective and Apple is not a manufacturing company.

Apple's strength is in taking cutting or at least leading edge hardware technologies that can be mass produced and combining them in innovative ways with software to produce products that we didn't even know we wanted until they show them to us..

You go way too far. He mentioned Flash Memory, displays and batteries.

Apple already does extensive battery R&D. They just bought a flash memory controller company to advance the SOTA there.

Display tech is NOT much of a stretch - Apple relies heavily on good displays to drive sales - look at the rumors about the new iPad, with its retina display tech, which will be a huge differentiating factor.

Apple can and should develop as many SOTA technologies as possible. That's what he meant when he said "etc."
  • Reply 262 of 293
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

You go way too far. He mentioned Flash Memory, displays and batteries.

Apple already does extensive battery R&D. They just bought a flash memory controller company to advance the SOTA there.

Display tech is NOT much of a stretch - Apple relies heavily on good displays to drive sales - look at the rumors about the new iPad, with its retina display tech, which will be a huge differentiating factor.

Apple can and should develop as many SOTA technologies as possible.

They design their battery but they don't build them. They do use good displays but they pay for that tech. I see no evidence that they design of build the tech.
  • Reply 263 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They design their battery but they don't build them. They do use good displays but they pay for that tech. I see no evidence that they design of build the tech.

"Build" is a new topic.

The person I responded to was talking about off the shelf tech, and the OP was talking about Apple-designed tech.

If Apple is buying off the shelf displays for the new iPad, then I am surprised.

But we need not go too far in either direction. Apple should combine its use of tech to maximize profits. Whether in-house, off-the-shelf, or designed exclusively for Apple by some third party.

And Apple should build or buy depending on profit potential. As of now, Apple is not investing capital in manufacturing capacity of its own, but instead is reputed to invest capital in providing such capacity to third parties under contract. This is all details. In the end, the differences are not fundamental distinctions.

Apple sometines seems to buy R&D capability, and sometimes contracts with third party designers.
  • Reply 264 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

"Build" is a new topic.

The person I responded to was talking about off the shelf tech, and the OP was talking about Apple-designed tech.

Point taken. i didn't come into the conversation until the end. i assumed it was about the whole "Apple should only build in America" tilt.
  • Reply 265 of 293
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Why is everyone so focused on Tim Cook?

Because he is the CEO.

Quote:

Jobs said that his chosen successor was Jonny Ives and that he had engineered the power structures within Apple so that Ives would have more operational power than anyone else.

"there's no one at the company who can tell Ive what to do,"

But Ive cannot tell the company what to do.
  • Reply 266 of 293
    Quote:

Point taken. i didn't come into the conversation until the end. i assumed it was about the whole "Apple should only build in America" tilt.

Nope.

My main point was that Apple can and should design as much SOTA tech as possible. That could be by using existing employees, signing exclusive deals with third parties, or buying whole companies to transform them from "third parties" to "in-house".

I was arguing against the idea that Apple is or should be reliant on the mere integration of existing tech.
  • Reply 267 of 293
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, as I could have sworn I remember you mentioning them offhand a while ago. But then again, my memory's not worth the resale value of a four year old Android device.

Are there any 4-year old Android devices? Time flies. . .
  • Reply 268 of 293
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

A 7 inch iPad isn't just about price it's about form factor much like an 11 inch Macbook Air doesn't save you but $100 over a comparably spec'd 13 inch Macbook Air.

Some people need a smaller device regardless of the price.

Perhaps but my guess is Apple isn't losing many customers b/c they don't sell a 7 inch tablet. In Walter Isaacson's book Jony Ive said he and Steve played with 20 models all different sizes and aspect ratios until they settled on the current form factor. There would have to be a really good reason for Apple to make a smaller iPad and I don't see what it is.
  • Reply 269 of 293
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studentx View Post

This type of screen seems well suited for DESKTOP deployments where the screen can be tethered to a power source but I fail to see a suitable MOBLIE solution where smartphones and tablets are concerned.

A flexible screen that slides out of a case that it's tethered to is at best a novelty and not a moblie solution.

Every time I have hear about flexible screens I can't help but think of this.*

Not exactly Apple like though.

*Anyone on here old enough to remember what show that was?
  • Reply 270 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Every time I have hear about flexible screens I can't help but think of this.*

Not exactly Apple like though.

*Anyone on here old enough to remember what show that was?

It was 1997 to 2002 so I don't think age is the big factor here. That said I had never seen the show so I had to use Google Images to do a reverse image lookup.

edit: In the movie Mission to Mars (2000) I seem to recall they displays like this...
  • Reply 271 of 293
    Quote:

It was 1997 to 2002 so I don't think age is the big factor here. That said I had never seen the show so I had to use Google Images to do a reverse image lookup.

What would we do without Google
  • Reply 272 of 293
    ltcompuserltcompuser Posts: 219member
    Quote:

Thanks... and I learned a new term.Is it odd that I've never heard that before?

It is odd if you're a fan of digital photography. If you have a passing interest in it, then no. :-)
  • Reply 273 of 293
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    Quote:

You could make the same defense about the Air in an argument about whether the 11" model should exist or not.

The questions is one of need. Does every company need the extra screen real estate of a 9.7" tablet or would many be fine with a 7.85 tablet.

Now you're talking about making a product for a niche market but the question that bears asking is, does the extra screen real estate cause any significant problems. I suspect the answer is no for the vast majority of iPad users. It's similar to how most cars have a back seat even though many times it goes unused. Even so, the market has gravitated towards having that back seat with a rather small percentage of cars available lacking one.

The main reason is that the back seat is useful at times and when you are not using it, really, what harm is it doing. There is a penalty in terms of fuel consumption but also a measure of extra safety because it results in a larger vehicle with a buffer zone back there, as well as additional cargo space. So we don't give that back seat a second thought. We buy our cars in many forms, yet seating for more than two people is pretty much a constant, except of course for pick-up trucks and sports roadsters.

I don't think the tablet market is mature enough for Apple to be worrying about a rather small fringe group of customers who are not badly served simply by opting for the one form factor that Apple already offers. It is also highly unlikely that if from time to time even those customers gain from a little extra screen real estate, they would care to own multiple models, making use of whatever happens to be best for a particular activity. It's like that car with the back seat you often don't need which is more versatile because it is there for when you do need it. Even if a smaller screen would be enough, a larger screen causes no hardship.

Basically, if you have a tablet that is too big to fit in your pocket, might as well make it large enough to have a screen that allows for most of the activities it will be used for to be more enjoyable.

You're reference to the Air doesn't hold because there is substantial difference between the 11-inch and 13-inch versions both in terms of price and ease of use due to substantial weight reductions. If you don't need the power of the 13-incher then the smaller model makes sense on a lot of levels. The same would not apply to the smaller iPad when stacked up against the current form factor.
  • Reply 274 of 293
    People are too hung up about a 7" iPad fitting into a pocket or not. That's not the issue as I see it. Try holding an iPad with one hand for an hour or two while reading a book or watching a movie. It becomes tiresome, and arthritis doesn't help matters. There is a reason why there is a market for both hardback and paperback books. Form factor, weight and price all figure in. Forget about whether or not it fits in a pocket.
  • Reply 275 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No it's not. The iPad was never designed to fit in your pocket because the iPhone was that product. The iPad is a different product. For most regular Joes the iPad is a computer replacement, the iPhone is a phone. People don't want and have no need to carry their computer (their iPad) around town. Sure there may be some lone rangers in this forum who want the iPad to be smaller so they can carry it around, but you're geeks and you don't even understand the iPad as a product, apparently. And for those of you who want the iPad to be 7" so you can fit it in your pockets: in general people don't have 7" pockets; if you want to carry a device in your pocket the iPhone is it.

The iPhone is the Tricorder and the iPad is the PADD.

And since you don't see a need for a 7" iPad then none of should. Noted, when we want an opinion you'll give it to us.
  • Reply 276 of 293
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Interesting... As I suspected though the Note and S2 are not shipping with ICS in Australia at the moment, eg. http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/samsung...blue-unlocked/ ... Which is surprising because that website does grey imports, which means they should be fresh off the Samsung line in Asia.

Anyways, cheers, will check out the Ars article.

Interestingly Adobe Flash doesn't come with the Galaxy Nexus ICS, Adobe promises "by the end" of this year.

I'm checking the forums, apparently ICS for S2 and Note is only out "early 2012".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to set you up for a fall, just trying to keep my finger on the pulse. I remain committed to trying to be impartial. The Galaxy Note screen is interesting, and actually that's a nice size. I wanna see ICS on it and see how it handles.

Back in mid-2011, and another forum, one chap discussed the underpinning of Android. Essentially Rubin and Coy had occupied their time for three years designing the OS for a keyboard device. By 2006, they had settled on a form factor 'similar' to the then current Blackberry, which was the device revealed in Dec 2006. One month later, someone else showed up with a different idea, and the Rubin chaps had to revamp their OS for touch and keyboard, with the former to predominate. Based on the chap's discussion, it was the unnecessary code for the original physical keyboard causing the interface problems, and that that the Android boys had not finished expunging the keyboard code as of the Honeycomb release.

A 3x 5 card is about 6" diagonally; I'm holding for the iTouch Magnum with the 6" screen and a Wacom digitizer.

Cheers
  • Reply 277 of 293
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:

A 7 inch iPad isn't just about price it's about form factor much like an 11 inch Macbook Air doesn't save you but $100 over a comparably spec'd 13 inch Macbook Air.

Some people need a smaller device regardless of the price.

Absolutely. I'll buy a 7" iPad, even if it's the same price as the 10". It's the smaller form factor that I want, not a cheaper iPad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

What's the point? You can't store a 7-inch device in a pocket or something similar.

Sure you can. My 7" Android tablet fits in my back jeans pocket, as do many of the other 7" tablets out there.

The only reason I even have that tablet is because of the size. I already have an iPad, but I leave it at home and take the Android tablet with me when I go out, simply because it's a more portable format.
  • Reply 278 of 293
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

What would we do without Google

I find myself using duckduckgo more than google now.
  • Reply 279 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

I find myself using duckduckgo more than google now.

Would it have done Solipsism's reverse image lookup? Serious question as I've never used DDG.
  • Reply 280 of 293
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Would it have done Solipsism's reverse image lookup? Serious question as I've never used DDG.

I've found Tineye to be better for that, anyway.