More alleged third-gen iPad parts suggest just minor changes to design

Comments

• Reply 41 of 108
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    The report is wrong.

LTE isn't that big of a deal at the chip level now. I really have reason to doubt everything they've said here seeing as how it feels pretty made up.
  • Reply 42 of 108
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    I can live without everything except a Retina display AND 128GB version. Otherwise it's really not worth upgrading.
  • Reply 43 of 108
    No LTE would be a huge disappointment.

Oh well, I guess Galaxy Note it is.
  • Reply 44 of 108
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mellott124 View Post

No LTE would be a huge disappointment.

Oh well, I guess Galaxy Note it is.

So you'd forgo a product because it lacks a barely-used feature for a completely different product in a completely different market segment?
  • Reply 45 of 108
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you'd forgo a product because it lacks a barely-used feature for a completely different product in a completely different market segment?

The more probably explanation is that he never planned to buy one in the first place and that statement was just a weak attempt at a troll.
  • Reply 46 of 108
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Where is the geostationary tower plaza? Theoretically it needs to be at the equator. Are you in Africa? Here in the US we have lots of LTE and in the next year or two it will be pervasive. Why would a consumer not want to future proof their purchase as much as possible?
  • Reply 47 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Where is the geostationary tower plaza? Theoretically it needs to be at the equator.

Theoretically, yes.

Quote:

Why would a consumer not want to future proof their purchase as much as possible?

I'm just saying. And that's not even the main point I was making. If you're in the market for an iPad and think the Note is anything like it at all in terms of anything, you're not in the market for an iPad.
  • Reply 48 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post

The more information that comes out, the more I'm tempted to hold off.

A high Res display and Siri are great, but Apple should keep pushing the envelope. "Good enough" is how you go from market leader to an also ran. They have the lead in tablet computing - padding their pockets for year by making a device that isn't cutting edge will harm the company.

LTE is pretty common in the Android world, the iPad really needs to have it.
    It's fine that Apple doesn't want to include an SD slot, but make a 128GB model available then. I know processor speed isn't everything, but if Android makers are using quad cores, then make sure that the processor and graphics are powerful enough to drive the Retina display. The rumors are saying that the cameras are better, but they should at least be to the iPhone 4 level.

Hopefully we'll all be pleasantly surprised on Wednesday.

Just like the 4S 'really needed to have' LTE or would have been a sales disaster, right? Thats what I kept hearing on tech blogs and message boards anyway. So no, the iPad 3 won't be in trouble if it doesn't have LTE, and will end up smashing sales record in any case and outselling every model of every android tablet combined, and then some. Also, strange how the rumoured resolution isn't considered 'pushing the envelope' to you, but just 'good enough'. Thats the very definition of pushing the envelope, since nothing even close to that exists in any kind of mass market device with that screen size. Also, not sure why you doubt Apple will throw in hardware thats sufficient to power the display. Apple stands out by having excellent real world performance on all their products, and there's no reason to expect they would change that now.
  • Reply 49 of 108
    Quote:

I'm just saying. And that's not even the main point I was making. If you're in the market for an iPad and think the Note is anything like it at all in terms of anything, you're not in the market for an iPad.

Yeah the 'Oh, the iPad doesn't have LTE so might as well buy a Galaxy Note' doesn't sounds like a realistic, rational scenario for most people. The 2 devices are not interchangeable in any way.
  • Reply 50 of 108
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm just curious why the design would drive the naming convention of the device?

I think it's related to accessory compatibility. The new iPad will not fit most ipad 2 cases because of the slightly thicker back panel. They will probably avoid calling it iPad 2S for this reason.
  • Reply 51 of 108
    Quote:

Theoretically, yes.

Ok good one just ignore the barely used feature of your argument. LTE time has come. IPad without is Fail with a capital F. Unless of course you choose the Wifi. I am already using LTE on my iPad and I don't think those who dismiss it as irrelevant have ever used it. LTE rocks
  • Reply 52 of 108
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Just like the 4S 'really needed to have' LTE or would have been a sales disaster, right? Thats what I kept hearing on tech blogs and message boards anyway.

2007 — The iPhone needs 3G (and a physical keyboard et al.) or it will fail.

2010 — The iPhone 4 needs LTE or it will fail.

2011 — The iPhone 4S needs LTE or it will fail.
  • Reply 53 of 108
    Quote:

LTE time has come. IPad without is Fail with a capital F.

I would not have expected that reply from you. I would have expected something more along the lines of "The LTE chips are now 28nm and plenty power efficient. They are shipping in quantity and could very easily be in the upcoming iPad. I will be surprised if that is not an option."

PS: You can tether an LTE phone to an iPad with WiFi. Perhaps even save some money that way.
  • Reply 54 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: You can tether an LTE phone to an iPad with WiFi. Perhaps even save some money that way.

In case you did not get that from my earlier posts that is exactly what I am doing with Sierra Wireless AT&T 4g LTE device.
  • Reply 55 of 108
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

Only $200 and 10MBps¡ They won't add an SD card. Heck, even on-board NAND needs to be faster. Don't expect 128Gb until the price comes down and the double density chips have good enough speed and write cycles. So far I haven't seen any of that.

Isn't Apple one of the biggest purchasers of flash on the planet? I thought that they pretty much had the market cornered and get preferential pricing?

With that said, I believe that the iPad uses two NAND modules while the iPhone uses just one. The 64GB iPhone 4S used a single 64GB module, meaning that it should be pretty trivial to add two 64GB modules to an iPad 3.

The question is whether Apple had the stomach to make such a move or if it will continue for the third strait year with the same capacities.
  • Reply 56 of 108
    Quote:

LTE time has come. IPad without is Fail with a capital F.

Now you're sounding like one-a-dem doom and gloom guys that whined about Apple not putting LTE on the iPhone 3GS.

Quote:

?and I don't think those who dismiss it as irrelevant have ever used it. LTE rocks

Haven't used it anywhere, you're right. I don't live or go anywhere it's even available. And when I already have Wi-Fi anywhere I'd go, I see no reason to waste $30 a month on something I'll never need or use.
  • Reply 57 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

With that said, I believe that the iPad uses two NAND modules while the iPhone uses just one. The 64GB iPhone 4S used a single 64GB module, meaning that it should be pretty trivial to add two 64GB modules to an iPad 3.

Good point. So why hasn't Apple added a 128GB option if they could do so with that kind of ease? I'd think enough people would opt for the 128GB model for $100 more. They don't want more than 3 capacity differences at a time?
    Quote:

Isn't Apple one of the biggest purchasers of flash on the planet? I thought that they pretty much had the market cornered and get preferential pricing?

That's already accounted for with their current products. It's not like Apple will get substantially better saving on more NAND flash. Economy of scale only takes you so far. In fact, one could argue that their excessive need for NAND flash has prevented them (and the industry at large) from being able to increase capacity at lower prices due to their product's popularity hurting availability.
  • Reply 58 of 108
    Quote:

Now you're sounding like one-a-dem doom and gloom guys that whined about Apple not putting LTE on the iPhone 3GS.

Haven't used it anywhere, you're right. I don't live or go anywhere it's even available. And when I already have Wi-Fi anywhere I'd go, I see no reason to waste $30 a month on something I'll never need or use.

Not sure where you get your wireless but I personally don't trust any free wifi. I never use any wifi except my house and my office. I bought the 3G iPad but now I use 4G through my LTE device. If the new iPad does not have LTE I would recommend getting the Wifi only version and buy the 4G tether device.
  • Reply 59 of 108
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

Good point. So why hasn't Apple added a 128GB option if they could do so with that kind of ease? I'd think enough people would opt for the 128GB model for $100 more. They don't want more than 3 capacity differences at a time?

I guess it all comes down to cost/maintaining profit margins. I honestly think that 16GB is too little with an iPad 3 with double the resolution. Not to mention Apple wanting to get into the textbook market with these huge 1 to 3GB textbooks. And then you'll have apps with larger textures, etc.

I honestly would like to see 32/64/128. If Apple goes this route, I'd buy the 64GB WiFi model for $600. If Apple punks out and gives us 16/32/64GB again, I'll buy the 32GB model for $600.

I think they should leave a single iPad 2 16GB WiFi SKU at $399 for the low-end.
  • Reply 60 of 108
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:

It's good that we still have some mystery inserted. It has been too clear-cut for the past, well, five months or so.

So, LTE or 3G?

Quad-core A6 or dual-core A5X?

And if the latter, does this just become the iPad 2X?

Your's are all valid points and probably right on the money with an iPad 2X on the 7th. I expect that will frustrate and annoy many here. Not me though. My guess is that: If Apple isn't changing the outside design significantly, then significant changes will be on the inside, but no LTE because that may require external changes, although the new iPad may get the A6 to support Siri and still be considered a 2X release. I'm guessing that Apple will use the A6 and/or Siri to placate the naysayers and people who will want to wait it out for the 4th gen.