Samsung Securities says 7" 'iPad mini' coming in Q3 2012, Apple investigating flexible panels

191011121315»

Comments

• Reply 281 of 293
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I've found Tineye to be better for that, anyway.

Tineye? Another I'm not familiar with. I guess I need to get out more.
  • Reply 282 of 293
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Absolutely. I'll buy a 7" iPad, even if it's the same price as the 10". It's the smaller form factor that I want, not a cheaper iPad.

Sure you can. My 7" Android tablet fits in my back jeans pocket, as do many of the other 7" tablets out there.

The only reason I even have that tablet is because of the size. I already have an iPad, but I leave it at home and take the Android tablet with me when I go out, simply because it's a more portable format.

Not sure what sort of clothing you wear but I do know that a 7-inch tablet will not fit in my pant pocket, certainly not comfortably. I'm not exactly a small individual so claiming that a 7-inch device is pocket-friendly isn't even vaguely credible.

The problem with offering a 7-inch tablet is that once it comes to market there is nothing to prevent customers from purchasing the device to use it in situations for which it is not suited. That can lead to dissatisfaction and that is bad for Apple. In addition, developers who design software for a 9.7-inch screen would have that software compromised when it is used on a smaller device. Bad news all around.
  • Reply 283 of 293
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Not sure what sort of clothing you wear but I do know that a 7-inch tablet will not fit in my pant pocket, certainly not comfortably. I'm not exactly a small individual so claiming that a 7-inch device is pocket-friendly isn't even vaguely credible.

The problem with offering a 7-inch tablet is that once it comes to market there is nothing to prevent customers from purchasing the device to use it in situations for which it is not suited. That can lead to dissatisfaction and that is bad for Apple. In addition, developers who design software for a 9.7-inch screen would have that software compromised when it is used on a smaller device. Bad news all around.

You could say that for any product. Caveat Emptor. 7 inch tablets aren't about whether or not they fit in a pocket or even a price point. It's about offering another option for people whose usage scenarios don't require 10" tablets.
  • Reply 284 of 293
    Quote:

The problem with offering a 7-inch tablet is that once it comes to market there is nothing to prevent customers from purchasing the device to use it in situations for which it is not suited. That can lead to dissatisfaction and that is bad for Apple.

If that were a good reason to decide against a product, then the 11 inch MBA would not have been released based upon a fear that it might be used for video editing.
  • Reply 285 of 293
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buckeyestar View Post

And since you don't see a need for a 7" iPad then none of should. Noted, when we want an opinion you'll give it to us.

You're missing the point entirely. I'm right on this one.
  • Reply 286 of 293
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Just wait till the announcement this week. The new iPad 2 8GB unit will fill the roll of entry level/budget iPad at a price of $299. The new iPad 3/HD will be released at the existing price ranges for the iPad 2.

So the iOS range will scale from:

iPod Touch $199

iPad 2 8GB $399

iPad 3 16GB $499

There is no space in there for a 7" iPad or iPod touch. This would possibly change if iPad sales were slowing, but they are not and expect a massive increase in sales following the new device launch.
  • Reply 287 of 293
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Just wait till the announcement this week. The new iPad 2 8GB unit will fill the roll of entry level/budget iPad at a price of $299. The new iPad 3/HD will be released at the existing price ranges for the iPad 2.

iPod Touch $199

iPad 2 8GB $399

iPad 3 16GB $499

There is no space in there for a 7" iPad or iPod touch. This would possibly change if iPad sales were slowing, but they are not and expect a massive increase in sales following the new device launch.

Sure there is ?299
  • Reply 288 of 293
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

If that were a good reason to decide against a product, then the 11 inch MBA would not have been released based upon a fear that it might be used for video editing.

Not the same thing. If what you want to do is video editing, you know full well going in that it requires all the horsepower and memory you can manage. Tablets, being a relatively new form factor is largely an unknown from the consumer's perspective. It would be likely that an iPad would still, for many consumers, be their first encounter with a tablet.

Look, as much as there might be an advantage in terms of weight in having a smaller form factor, that is absolutely the only advantage that size has over the 9.7-inch version. List off the activities that are carried out on a tablet and performing those activities on a 9.7-inch device will work more effectively than doing the same on a smaller screen.

So if Apple is focused on establishing the tablet, it matters that the first of those tablets, especially, expose consumers to what such a device is capable of doing with as few compromises as possible. And if developers have designed a program to run a 9.7-inch device yet that software is running on a much smaller unit, no good can come from that.

The key to making this work is lowering weight and price as we move along. I think having a lighter iPad should be a priority, as I'm sure it would have been were Jobs still with us. As for price, there is a simple solution. Build two grades of iPad. An iPad 2 selling for close to $400, for example, would sit well with consumers at this time.

Instead of a 7-inch iPad, an upsizing of the Touch seems like a better fit. Even moving up from let's say 3.5 inches to 4.5 inches would go a long way towards making the Touch a viable device as a tablet that is pocket-friendly. You don't have the same problem using software designed for a 3.5-inch unit on a 4.5-inch screen that you would have when trying to work software meant for a 9.7-inch device on a 7-inch unit.

By the way, apart from the weight advantage, no one seems to be able to come up with any reason why a seven-inch device would be preferable to the current iPad form factor. I can list many activities, on the other hand, that would simply work better on the larger screen.

It doesn't seem to me that a good case for a 7-inch tablet is being made. Competitors offer such devices because they don't know how to build a unit with a screen sized like the iPad and compete effectively on price. Apple can't build the 9.7-inch iPads fast enough and I suspect we are about to see the iPad splintered off with the iPad 2 soldiering on to hit a lower price point while the iPad 3 takes up the battle at a higher price point. Tweak the Touch and Apple has all the bases covered, especially as the iPad becomes progressively lighter.
  • Reply 289 of 293
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

By the way, apart from the weight advantage, no one seems to be able to come up with any reason why a seven-inch device would be preferable to the current iPad form factor. I can list many activities, on the other hand, that would simply work better on the larger screen.

The obvious and first one that comes to mind is games. A 7" slate lends itself to game controls better than a heavier and larger 10" iPad
  • Reply 290 of 293
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

iPod Touch $199

iPad 2 8GB $399

iPad 3 16GB $499

The iPad 2 went up in price during your comment lol
  • Reply 291 of 293
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

iPod Touch $199

iPad 2 8GB $399

iPad 3 16GB $499

$299 for an iPad 2 is not happening. You tell me how to shave $199 from the price of the current iPad to get to that point. The iPad is not a high margin product.
  • Reply 292 of 293
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

$299 for an iPad 2 is not happening. You tell me how to shave $199 from the price of the current iPad to get to that point. The iPad is not a high margin product.

But? I read from one source that was only guessing that it only costs Apple $189 to make an iPad 2, so anything higher than even $199 for an iPad 2 is extortion!

Right?
  • Reply 293 of 293
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But… I read from one source that was only guessing that it only costs Apple $189 to make an iPad 2, so anything higher than even $199 for an iPad 2 is extortion!

Right?

Indeed. Apple is shooting itself in the foot. It should be selling them at a loss like Amazon, because right now not enough people are buying iPads because they are too expensive. Everyone wants cheap tablets for low, low prices, because that's what the financial analysts tell us they want. Apple can make it up on iTunes Store sales, particularly books, movies, music, videos and Skrillex songs too. Oh, what's dat? Most of the world no buy original media from US iTunes Store? Ah, who cares, it's cheap, Apple, just sell it below cost, because the financial industry is best at these kind of things. Apple, while you're at it, also give out lots of dividends and buy back stock, because keeping all that cash is just stupid and your stock price is way too low and institutional investors are not making enough money. Also the iPad should be LTE, and come in 3.5", 5", 5.5", 7.0", 7.812345", 8.2", 10" and 13", otherwise Apple is losing millions of iPad sales each month to Android tablets (particularly with ChocolateChipCookie* OS coming out in a few months time) and will be eaten alive by Windows 8 tablets and the next generation of the Playbook.</sarcasm>

*Guess what, Android 5 is called Jelly Bean. Ah well, close enough