US senator calls for FTC investigation of Apple, Google over privacy loopholes

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014

U.S. Senator Charles Schumer has issued a call for the Federal Trade Commission to investigate Apple and Google over potential privacy issues arising from loopholes in their respective mobile operating systems.

Sen. Schumer (D-NY) has raised concerns over iOS and Android because of a recent report from The New York Times outing a loophole where an app could upload users' photos when authorized to access location data, Reuters reported on Sunday. He also took issue with last month's discovery that some applications have been uploading user's address books to their own servers without permission.

"These uses go well beyond what a reasonable user understands himself to be consenting to when he allows an app to access data on the phone for purposes of the app's functionality," the senator said in a letter to the FTC.

"Smartphone makers should be required to put in place safety measures to ensure third party applications are not able to violate a user's personal privacy by stealing photographs or data that the user did not consciously decide to make public," he added.

Last month's report by the Times made use of a test app to demonstrate that an application could transmit geo-tagged photos to a remote server if allowed to access location information on the device.

Test app PhotoSpy's location authorization pop-up. Source| The New York Times

Social networking app "Path" came under fire last month when a developer discovered that the software was uploading contacts without asking for permission. The discovery brought to light the fact that a number of other popular apps also engaged in the practice. The "Path" team quickly responded with an apology and removed the offending feature.

For its part, Apple spoke up that unauthorized contact data transmission was in violation of its guidelines and pledged to require user approval in a future software release.

Apple faced lawmaker and regulator scrutiny last year over a similar issue with user location data. The company was part of an FTC forum last May as a result of a controversy over database files uncovered within iOS and Android that appeared to track user's locations. Apple clarified that the file was actually a crowd-sourced database of Wi-Fi networks used to improve location accuracy.

Locations from iOS database plotted. | Source: O'Reilly Radar

The U.S. Senate also called Apple and Google to a series of its own hearings last year over the location issue. Apple insisted at the hearings that it has no plans to ever track users' locations.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    tonkintonkin Posts: 42member
    Schumer is deep into suckling the teat of Wall Street and will say and do whatever keeps him in office. He knows nothing of technology and is parroting his telecom masters. Political parties mean nothing to those lip-locked to the 1%.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    Sorry but last I checked google does not have any privacy loopholes. Instead you are met with this upon installation of a market place app:

If the app attempts to access a permission that it does not state the app will not function correctly.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tonkin View Post

Schumer is deep into suckling the teat of Wall Street and will say and do whatever keeps him in office. He knows nothing of technology and is parroting his telecom masters. Political parties mean nothing to those lip-locked to the 1%.

You've just described everyone in office.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Smartphone makers should be required to put in place safety measures to ensure third party applications are not able to violate a user's personal privacy by stealing photographs or data that the user did not consciously decide to make public," he added.

He's right. I wonder what the result of the inquiry will be.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    Quote:

If he is truly a rumpswab for big business, then Apple has nothing to worry about.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

Being crass and crude does not make you smart or right. It simply makes you crass, crude and repugnant.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

He's right. I wonder what the result of the inquiry will be.

Even before the inquiry, some issues are rather clear. Apple (and Google) is relying on a code of honor amongst developers to treat user data as sacred. It's like asking software purchasers to read the license agreement and truly agree before clicking Yes, and expecting them to remember and honor what they have agreed to.

Having said that, some issues are also overblown.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    In other words, I don't have time to solve employment, jobs, the debt, campaign financing, or corruption... but I do have time to complain about a problem that Apple's already committed to fixing.

And reap the resulting press accounts, of course.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    bsgincbsginc Posts: 78member
    Nothing like trying to legislate perfection.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

In other words, I don't have time to solve employment, jobs, the debt, campaign financing, or corruption... but I do have time to complain about a problem that Apple's already committed to fixing.

That's about right. Schumer's one of the biggest attention whores in the Senate. He holds an amazing number of press conferences on a regular basis. He won't be getting my vote again. I miss the days when Daniel Patrick Moynihan was senior senator of this great state.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Sorry but last I checked google does not have any privacy loopholes. Instead you are met with this upon installation of a market place app:

If the app attempts to access a permission that it does not state the app will not function correctly.

Surely this must be sarcasm on your part. Take a look at Accounts and you'll see it gives the app the authorization to do anything on your system. Doesn't Google address book try to mimic your system's address book? Full Internet access? etc. etc.

The average user doesn't have a clue how deep this dialog box's rabbit hole goes!
  • Reply 12 of 53
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Interesting story published on a website that has no less than 12 tracking cookies.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    obamaobama Posts: 62member
    Quote:

I hope you don't feel this way about me!
  • Reply 14 of 53
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Software is just complex and these loopholes sometimes get in there. I don't think it's malicious or requires an investigation. Senators shouldn't make a big deal out of things like this on the Boy Who Cried Wolf principle.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member
    +1 Couldn't have said it better
  • Reply 16 of 53
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

I couldn't have said it better. +1
  • Reply 17 of 53
    andyappleandyapple Posts: 152member
    I'm concerned about the great damage the good senator has inflicted upon his knees, from jumping aboard every passing bandwagon. What a schmuck.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    EL OH EL

what the fuck man.

This is absolutely ridiculous...these "issues" require a software update and nothing more...to push an investigation is to try and make a name for yourself with bullshit causes.

Seems to be one bullshit cause a month involving either Apple or Google.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Surely this must be sarcasm on your part. Take a look at Accounts and you'll see it gives the app the authorization to do anything on your system. Doesn't Google address book try to mimic your system's address book? Full Internet access? etc. etc.

The average user doesn't have a clue how deep this dialog box's rabbit hole goes!

Actually Android doesn't even have a dialog that allows an app to grab your photos, it just does it because it can.

Read it and learn:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...ndroid-photos/

and

http://gigaom.com/mobile/why-google-...image-problem/

Google has no good explanation for why Android apps can grab photos and net even ask first.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    This is the beginning of a Government Law Suit. Some day and it's coming the Government will see Apple the same way they saw Microsloft and call for an anti trust law suit. You watch. This is just the beginning.