Apple expected to ship 40M 'iPad 3,' 25M iPad 2 units in 2012 - report

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Total iPad shipments are expected to grow by nearly 20 million units in 2012, with Apple's third-generation iPad expected to lead the way with 40 million total units.

Citing sources in Apple's supply chain, DigiTimes reported that iPad panel shipments are expected to top 65 million units this year. Most would be for the third-generation iPad, but the supply chain also expects Apple to continue to sell the iPad 2 at a reduced price, accounting for 25 million units.

Shipments of 65 million units in 2012 would easily best the 48 million 9.7-inch panels that suppliers shipped to Apple in 2011.

Total shipments for the first quarter of 2012 alone are expected to be as much as 9 million for the so-called "iPad 3," edging 8 million shipped iPad 2 units. That could drive a record quarter of as much as 17 million units.

Monday's report claimed that Samsung Electronics has outperformed LG Display to become the top supplier of 9.7-inch touchscreen displays to Apple in January. Samsung's total shipments for the month were said to be 2.45 million units, up from 1.65 million in December.

LG, meanwhile, shipped 1.7 million displays to Apple in February, down from 2.1 million in December. And Chimei Innolux is said to have supplied 350,000 screens to Apple in February, down from a half-million in December.

Apple's suppliers from the Far East are believed to be providing the company with high-resolution Retina Displays for its third-generation iPad. Apple is expected to unveil the new device at a media event on Wednesday in San Francisco, Calif., scheduled to kick off at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

Other changes to the iPad are expected to be largely internal, with evidence of a faster processor and potential 4G LTE connectivity having surfaced in recent weeks. On the outside, the next iPad is expected to look largely the same, with an external case featuring edges slightly more tapered than the iPad 2.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    For some reason, growth is going to suddenly slow to 50% or so YoY. We don't know why it is going to all of a sudden slow but people would think we are nuts to suggest that growth might be closer to 70%->90% YoY and have closer (and more realistic) 75 million units shipped.

http://www.asymco.com/2011/12/22/who...easonable-now/
  • Reply 2 of 21
    festerfeetfesterfeet Posts: 108member
    Well if these figures are anywhere near right they are going to have to upscale their production to meet demand!
  • Reply 3 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Are these the same people who got the iPad 1 numbers wrong by a factor of 4 ?
  • Reply 4 of 21
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Are these the same people who got the iPad 1 numbers wrong by a factor of 4 ?

They get everything wrong by a factor of 4.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Because the casing is rumored to be the same size as the iPad 2.

No iPad 3 for you lol

But we will find out on Wednesday.

I got my $600 READY!!!!!!!
  • Reply 6 of 21
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    I'm still quite amazed at the number of people who said the original iPad would be a massive failure to consumers. You have to wonder where their heads were at the time. I mean, how could they be so blind. Of course, there are still people that say that the iPad is a totally useless device, so I guess there will always be dissenters who clearly miss the implications of any new tech device.

I'm hoping that Apple will be able to move 65 million tablets, but even if they don't I won't be all that disappointed. I do hope the iPad becomes a standard of home and business computing but unless Apple can lower the price, I don't think it will happen. There's far too many people that don't see the point in paying extra money for anything.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I do hope the iPad becomes a standard of home and business computing but unless Apple can lower the price, I don't think it will happen. There's far too many people that don't see the point in paying extra money for anything.

It might happen if Apple makes 7" iPads and sells a large number of them. I can see a parallel with MP3 market where iPod plus iPod Nano has pretty much occupied the market, without too much sacrifice in profit margin.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

I'm still quite amazed at the number of people who said the original iPad would be a massive failure to consumers. You have to wonder where their heads were at the time. I mean, how could they be so blind. Of course, there are still people that say that the iPad is a totally useless device, so I guess there will always be dissenters who clearly miss the implications of any new tech device.

They're called "fustercluckers".

Quote:

I'm hoping that Apple will be able to move 65 million tablets, but even if they don't I won't be all that disappointed. I do hope the iPad becomes a standard of home and business computing but unless Apple can lower the price, I don't think it will happen. There's far too many people that don't see the point in paying extra money for anything.

They're called cheap "fustercluckers",
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

There are a couple of important points to Apple's upscale pricing. One, the quality is there in the manufactured product, the elegance and functionality. Two, Apple's customer base is less subject to volatility since only those who can afford not to buy on price alone become Apple customers; and, the iPad is expensive enough that most of us cannot afford to buy it as a lark, and let in sit in a corner somewhere -- it costs too much not to make as good a use of the device as possible.

The negative is that mass purchases by, say, K12 schools, where it could be useful, is much less likely. The positive side of this negative is that K12 schools won't be purchasing iPads until the software and content and infrastructure are developed and become available to make important improvements in K12 education.

PS: Expect to see Window's tablets make a push into K12. The Gates Foundation has significant influence with Arne Duncan and Gates Foundation will be spending the money to push Windows 8 into the schools, with Federal government support.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

For some reason, growth is going to suddenly slow to 50% or so YoY. We don't know why it is going to all of a sudden slow but people would think we are nuts to suggest that growth might be closer to 70%->90% YoY and have closer (and more realistic) 75 million units shipped.

http://www.asymco.com/2011/12/22/who...easonable-now/

Yeah, I laughed at their numbers. It's like they really didn't even account for the 15 million sold last quarter and any YoY growth.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    I suspect that the only supplier of the high-def screen on the iPad 3 will be Sharp. IGZO is essential to allow for the higher resolution without too heavy a price paid in terms of weight and/or battery life.

The only aspect of what Apple will announce on Wednesday that I'm unsure of is whether the iPad 2 will just continue to be sold as is only with a price cut or if a modest updating will be done along with a price cut. Perhaps a refresh of the processor, that sort of thing. The other way to do would be to not update the iPad 2 right now and see how sales go. If the unit at around $399 remains popular and yet the new unit is a sales hit, keeping the lower-end iPad with minor tweaks along the way makes sense. Not updating the iPad 2 this time around, though, would be cautious and understandable.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I suspect that the only supplier of the high-def screen on the iPad 3 will be Sharp. IGZO is essential to allow for the higher resolution without too heavy a price paid in terms of weight and/or battery life.

I'm less confident than you. I don't think AH-IPS can be ruled out.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Disclaimer:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

DigiTimes

That is all.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

The negative is that mass purchases by, say, K12 schools, where it could be useful, is much less likely. The positive side of this negative is that K12 schools won't be purchasing iPads until the software and content and infrastructure are developed and become available to make important improvements in K12 education.

PS: Expect to see Window's tablets make a push into K12. The Gates Foundation has significant influence with Arne Duncan and Gates Foundation will be spending the money to push Windows 8 into the schools, with Federal government support.

I'd be wary of talking in absolutes here. Apple could always implement some sort of education pricing as they have in the past. Probably when they've cornered the market and can be reasonably assured of still turning a profit and not taking too big a hit on the bottom line.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

I'm not. Most people lack absolutely no critical/creative thinking, with knee-jerk responses because they can only look backwards and see 2 feet ahead of their faces. These same people who were mocking the iPad when revealed and predicting a catastrophic failure are the same people who are no doubt continue to troll it now, championing some random Android tablet as superior. You think they acknowledged the magnitude of their wrongness? Nope, just continue full steam ahead with the stupidity.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    What a bunch of a bull
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm less confident than you. I don't think AH-IPS can be ruled out.

If that technology can be used with little penalty in terms of weight and/or battery life then sure. I just don't think Apple is comfortable with making a heavier iPad. With a hand-held, weight matters.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

If that technology can be used with little penalty in terms of weight and/or battery life then sure. I just don't think Apple is comfortable with making a heavier iPad. With a hand-held, weight matters.

It's my understanding that the AH-IPS tech is superior and that it was first used in the iPhone 4 despite LG's official launch as being in 2011.It's also my understanding that it is pricer, but I wouldn't expect anything less from a low-power IPS tech that allows more backlight through.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    as everyone notice Digitimes number are always out of whack, there is good reason for this. As the article state the are talking to their supply chain sources, all the sources are Asian companies who are out trying to negotiate pricing for parts Whether it is for an Apple product or not, they through out some big number to get supplier attention and then tell them it is for some future Apple product. So everyone runs around hoping to win the business and claim they are supplying parts to Apple when in reality it probably far from the truth.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

as everyone notice Digitimes number are always out of whack, there is good reason for this. As the article state the are talking to their supply chain sources, all the sources are Asian companies who are out trying to negotiate pricing for parts Whether it is for an Apple product or not, they through out some big number to get supplier attention and then tell them it is for some future Apple product. So everyone runs around hoping to win the business and claim they are supplying parts to Apple when in reality it probably far from the truth.

I think that it's equally plausible that people are running around saying, "Hey, boss - the guy from Digitimes is here. What did you make up today so that we could have some fun with them?"