iMessage Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So, here's a question that I didn't really think of and now it's a real problem.

My friend has left the Apple fold. He no longer has an iPhone. Got himself one of them stupid ass HTC phones. I've considered disowning him as a friend, but have decided he's too cool to just outright abandon.

We were communicating by iMessages before his switch. iPhone to iPhone. Well, now everytime I want to send him a text message, my phone attempts iMessage first and since his phone number is associated in the iMessage servers as being an iMessage phone number (and the fact that he has an iPad at home) my messages to his phone number keep going to iMessage and to his WiFi iPad.

So my workaround solution is to turn off iMessage whenever I want to send him an SMS Text Message.

This is more painful for me than for him. What's the formal solution?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

So, here's a question that I didn't really think of and now it's a real problem.

My friend has left the Apple fold. He no longer has an iPhone. Got himself one of them stupid ass HTC phones. I've considered disowning him as a friend, but have decided he's too cool to just outright abandon.

We were communicating by iMessages before his switch. iPhone to iPhone. Well, now everytime I want to send him a text message, my phone attempts iMessage first and since his phone number is associated in the iMessage servers as being an iMessage phone number (and the fact that he has an iPad at home) my messages to his phone number keep going to iMessage and to his WiFi iPad.

So my workaround solution is to turn off iMessage whenever I want to send him an SMS Text Message.

This is more painful for me than for him. What's the formal solution?

If it is going to his iPad at home it is NOT using his phone number. Check that you are definitely sending to his number as once it fails to send it will drop back to SMS. (it sounds like you are sending to his email address)

Also delete the existing imessage thread and start a new one by choosing to send to his phone number.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

If it is going to his iPad at home it is NOT using his phone number. Check that you are definitely sending to his number as once it fails to send it will drop back to SMS. (it sounds like you are sending to his email address)

No... he's got it right... the number, once associated with an iMessage account (as apposed to SMS), continues to try to use iMessage as the default, even to the number.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Also delete the existing imessage thread and start a new one by choosing to send to his phone number.

I don't know ... need to try it... but this MAY disassociate the phone number from an iMessage account. I hope so! (I'd suggesting doing the deletion the still cycle iMessage OFF.)
  • Reply 3 of 4
    tleviertlevier Posts: 104member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

No... he's got it right... the number, once associated with an iMessage account (as apposed to SMS), continues to try to use iMessage as the default, even to the number.

I don't know ... need to try it... but this MAY disassociate the phone number from an iMessage account. I hope so! (I'd suggesting doing the deletion the still cycle iMessage OFF.)

I've done it all from my end folks. I've deleted every thread, cycled iMessage, upgraded to iOS 5.1, screwed a prostitute. Nothing seems to work. The Apple Servers have his phone number associated to the iMessage platform, and that's that. A permanent hijack. Probably the only thing would have been if he had turned iMessage off before he walked into the Sprint Store. That might have done it. But alas, he gave them his old phone and now he's basically screwed. (Maybe Sprint could dummy up an iPhone with his phone number and turn iMessage off???)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Have you tried calling Apple support?