Reports claim Apple's third-gen tablet to be named 'iPad HD'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

A whole year and they can't come up with a new model? S and now HD? Sounds like fragmentation.

Fandroids think everything is "fragmentation" because they have known nothing but fragmentation. It's just normal to them.
  • Reply 22 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

2012- iPad HD

2013- iPad HD 2

2014- iPad 4k

2015- iPad 4k2

Pretty soon they'll sound like Canon cameras.

iPad Quadra

iPad Performa

iPad Pro Duo

iPad Pro Serve
  • Reply 23 of 145
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

A whole year and they can't come up with a new model? S and now HD? Sounds like fragmentation.

Reality check: when there are competitors that put a new model number on the same phone but a different carrier, do you have any idea about what to complain about for a new model? Likely quadruple the dots, maybe double the cores and that's not enough for you? What the hell are you really asking for?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishbert View Post

Why would Apple go with a generic and beaten-to-death marketing term like HD, when...

a) even 1080p HD severely under-states the rumored resolution of an iPad retina display, and

b) it would completely overshadow the more Apple-unique 'Retina Display' marketing term that's caught on rather well over the last year.

Just doesn't make sense.

Severely understates? Hyperbole much? The most specific name for the resolution, QXGA, is cumbersome, HD communicates the message just fine.
  • Reply 24 of 145
    boxmaccaryboxmaccary Posts: 146member
    A rose, by any other name, will smell just as sweet ....
  • Reply 25 of 145
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    iPad HD sounds about right. It is so consumer-ish. I wish they would just standardize the names with other computer products and get rid of the numbers and suffixes altogether.

Ah... remember the Performa 640 DOS Compatible? Now that was a product name.
  • Reply 26 of 145
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    When the case manufacturers produce tens of thousands of cases in packaging that says "x", the name is going to be "x".

Here's how it works. Chinese Executive Y at case company Z has a cousin who works for plant W where item x is either being manufactured or the cases are being printed, or the item is being put into the cases and shipped. Executive Y calls his cousin and says, "Give me the name and the specs. We need to build our cases." Lo and behold, they get the specs and name and then make the cases and print the packaging.

When I hear about a ton of cases coming from China that say iPad HD and miraculously fit the case designs that have leaked I figure the name is out of the bag. iPad HD for the win.
  • Reply 27 of 145
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Bit of a leap to claim the name iPad HD means an "S" type upgrade.

A large leap, I'd say. If this name is right, this is not the iPad 2HD or iPad 2S, this is the iPad HD. They consider HD a big enough feature to name the phone after it alone. Retina display was not a minor feature when it appeared in the iPhone 4 -- that was not an incremental upgrade. This is like saying that the MacBook Air was a minor upgrade, because they named it after just one feature, its light weight.
  • Reply 28 of 145
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Seems like every time they don't increase the number in the name, there's this stigma amongst technophiles that it's not a true upgrade, just half an upgrade. Which is silly. If this thing comes out with a Retina Display, Quad-core processor and LTE, that'll make it more of an update than the iPad 2 was over the iPad 1, even if the exterior remains mostly unchanged.
  • Reply 29 of 145
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    This might also be named to not compete with the iPad2 as much as an incremental numerical name would. That could be because they plan to continue selling iPad2 for the foreseeable future.
  • Reply 30 of 145
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    They need to call it the iPad 2S so then I can start rolling my eyes at the suggestion of the 2013 iPad being called: iPad 3. My ocular oblique muscles haven't been getting the work out they need.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Then you should get your ears checked.

I'd say he needs to get his head checked but first he'll need a proctologist.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

I wonder if that will be confusing to some consumers. Some iPhone apps have be adapted to the iPad are identified with the HD reference. Those apps as is will not be scaled for the new display resolution. So how will the developer's identify the apps that are written for the new iPad HD? Plants vs. Zombies HD HD?

iPad HD+? Although that leads to other confusion since the plus sign is used by Apple to denote it being a Universal app.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

[name of app] HD 2: Electric Boogaloo!

The "HD 2: Electric Boogaloo!" suffix will be required on all iPad 3-specific apps.

I think that reference makes you about 10 years older than I thought.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishbert View Post

Why would Apple go with a generic and beaten-to-death marketing term like HD, when...

a) even 1080p HD severely under-states the rumored resolution of an iPad retina display, and

b) it would completely overshadow the more Apple-unique 'Retina Display' marketing term that's caught on rather well over the last year.

Just doesn't make sense.

I think it sounds alright. What i'm still not keen on is 'iPad', but I honestly don't care about the name as long as it does what I need it to do.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheHecta View Post

What's so wrong with the name "iPad 3"? Most people will associate a non-number change with a "minor" update even though we all know it will be a major overall with the retina display. I don't see anything wrong in calling it the iPad 3 then the iPad 4, iPad 5, etc.

Not being wrong and not being the best are different. And note the iPhone 4S and iPhone 3GS were all non-number changes to the moniker and they sold exceptionally well compared to their predecessors.
  • Reply 31 of 145
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:

I wonder if that will be confusing to some consumers

I don't think so. Don't be surprised if they start referring to the iPad 2 as "iPad" and the new one as "iPad HD" - meaning, they'll keep selling the iPad 2 as a lower cost option ($399?)
  • Reply 32 of 145
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Maybe they'll keep the iPad 2 and rename it the iPad SD so we get the iPad SD and iPad HD.

The 7" version could be called the iPad Mini Me or iPad M&M
  • Reply 33 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheHecta View Post

What's so wrong with the name "iPad 3"? Most people will associate a non-number change with a "minor" update even though we all know it will be a major overall with the retina display. I don't see anything wrong in calling it the iPad 3 then the iPad 4, iPad 5, etc.

Whoa, really? You sound like the guy who posted

Quote:

The "HD" tag would be akin to Apple's "S" naming convention it took with the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4S, which marked incremental updates to the smartphone that weren't substantial enough to warrant a complete number change. For example, the iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 featured redesigned exteriors, while the respective follow-up "S" models merely boasted internal component upgrades.

on AppleInsider. The number is just part of the PRODUCT NAME; IT IS NOT A VERSION NUMBER. Once again, think for yourself; don't let AppleInsider's geniuses feed you their wild speculations about HD = S.
  • Reply 34 of 145
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:

I wonder if that will be confusing to some consumers. Some iPhone apps have be adapted to the iPad are identified with the HD reference. Those apps as is will not be scaled for the new display resolution. So how will the developer's identify the apps that are written for the new iPad HD? Plants vs. Zombies HD HD?

Did it ever occur to you that Apple also uses the generation (1st, 2nd, 3rd Generation iDevice) and iOS buyers have been familiar with these term for quite some time now. I doubt anyone is going to be confused. When you think in terms of generation, it really doesn't matter what Apple names it.
  • Reply 35 of 145
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Reality check: when there are competitors that put a new model number on the same phone but a different carrier, do you have any idea about what to complain about for a new model? Likely quadruple the dots, maybe double the cores and that's not enough for you? What the hell are you really asking for?

Don't feed the troll. He's obviously trolling for android. The key word is: Fragmentation.
  • Reply 36 of 145
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    This is a bit of a disappointment if true. HD is so damn overused and means absolutely nothing anymore, not to mention the screen should be way beyond HD. iPad 3 would have had a much larger impact IMO and would have been simpler.
  • Reply 37 of 145
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Quote:

I agree. It is confusing. I'm sure Apple will come up with a new paradigm for labeling Apps so we can readily determine which hardware they are compatible with or optimized to run on.

Just a quick pondering of how to label the hardware leaves me stumped. Any model past '5' just looses its panache. Product names are cumbersome to list compatibility requirements. Maybe they could use a simple numbering system that's accessible via a simple Get Info, leaving the name at the discretion of Apple's marketing mavens.
  • Reply 38 of 145
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

This is a bit of a disappointment if true. HD is so damn overused and means absolutely nothing anymore, not to mention the screen should be way beyond HD. iPad 3 would have had a much larger impact IMO and would have been simpler.

I think iPad 3 is too repressed for the level of change this display brings. They did that with the iPhone 4 so it wouldn't be unprecedented but the iPhone 4 also got a huge change to the casing. I'm thinking iPad HD sounds good, or at least good enough that I've been using it for a week now, as the best option I've heard.

PS: Maybe Apple will give devs a week to remove HD from their app names if they aren't ready for the 2048x1536 display.
  • Reply 39 of 145
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    That damn thing better be more than a HD screen if Apple wants my money.
  • Reply 40 of 145
    sy1492sy1492 Posts: 13member
    I don't know how can you deduct that the next iPad won't have the A6 because they've decided to go with iPad HD instead of the iPad 3? Now maybe if they decided to name it iPad 2 HD, then it will make sense.

iPhone 4

iPhone 4s <- minor

iPad 2

iPad 2 HD <- minor, A5x

iPad 2

iPad HD <- um, can't really deduct anything.