Small business iPad use quadrupled to 34% in 2011, survey says

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

A new study shows that Apple's iPad is the fastest growing technology in the small business market, with usage quadrupling in 2011.

According to a national survey by The Business Journals, small business iPad use leapt up from 9 percent in 2010 to 34 percent last year. Meanwhile, a total of 75 percent of small business owners said they were "very or somewhat familiar with the device."

The survey sampled more than 1,400 business owners, CEOs and presidents of companies across the U.S. that had between five and 499 employees.

Godfrey Philips, the company's vice president of research, viewed the iPad's success as part of a larger trend within the industry. "Our research has shown that for small business owners, productivity and efficiency, which used to be the central benefits of technology, are now declining in importance compared to accessibility," he said.

Philips went on to say that business owners have turned to the iPad, smartphones and cloud computing to help them access their data wherever and whenever they want. As a result, those three solutions are "experiencing significant growth."

The demographics of small business iPad users skewed toward the more successful. The average annual household income for iPad owners in the survey was $176,000, while 72 percent of users indicated that they had a college education. Companies that were deploying the iPad had been around for 28 years on average and made an average of $9.2 million in annual sales.

Apple is expected to enjoy continued success for the iPad among businesses in 2012. According to one survey from The NPD Group late last year, 73 percent of American businesses with less than 1,000 employees planned on buying the iPad in the next 12 months. A separate survey from Forrester Research predicted in January that enterprise spending on Apple products will increase by 50 percent this year.

The Cupertino, Calif., company has said it is experiencing "unprecedented" iPad adoption in business. CFO Peter Oppenheimer revealed during a quarterly earnings conference call in January that nearly all Fortune 500 companies are actively using the device.

The arrival of the third-generation iPad, expected to be unveiled later this week at a media event in San Francisco, is likely to give lift to sales of the touchscreen tablet. Apple's event takes place at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, on March 7, and AppleInsider will have full coverage. Recent indications suggest the new iPad will feature a Retina Display and a faster processor and possibly 4G LTE connectivity.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Tablets are really changing the game.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Tablets are really changing the game.

Here's what people were saying about the iPad when it was first announced back in 2010...
  • Reply 3 of 21
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Here's what people were saying about the iPad when it was first announced back in 2010...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scavenger

It's useless without Flash

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone

That is probably the last we'll see of Steve. I can't believe he actually thinks this is the best thing Apple has ever created. What a lame product. Maybe some people need this, not me. The functionality is pretty weak in my opinion.

Hopefully it's grown on you pal

Quote:
    Originally Posted by i386

Also the screen is the wrong size it's too large and too small. Big fat failure this, another Apple TV

Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater

It isn't that great.

1. Its not a game changer

2. Its nothing more then a larger iPod Touch

3. It can't work as a Mac. No version of iLife or iWorks like rumored. It has no real processing power.

4. Unlike some have mentioned its not powerful enough for Slate computing to take over notebooks.

5. They can bundle it with Apple Tv and try and sell it at Costco because thats the only way they are going to make money on this.

This is why I try not to judge a device without touching it.

Businesses like the iPad even more. You can lock'em down and they cost lest and last longer in battery life. Winning.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:

Businesses like the iPad even more. You can lock'em down and they cost lest and last longer in battery life. Winning

Lots of good quotes about it's clearly inevitable demise. Lots of old trolls no longer here, at by the same name. I did see Abster2core in that thread. I recall enjoying his comments. It's an interesting world we live in when we can spend years communicating with people with whom we respect yet never have an idea about what they look like or even their real name.

I wonder what mstone and extremeskater would say today about the iPad.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    sessamoidsessamoid Posts: 182member
    Quote:

So much fail in that thread.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

It's an interesting world we live in when we can spend years communicating with people with whom we respect yet never have an idea about what they look like or even their real name.

I was at a party at a coworker's house a few years back and spent some time talking to this guy about technology. On the way home I said to my wife "I think I know that guy from the Internets." Sure enough, turns out, he was a regular here on AI.

It is strange interacting with people we will never see but it is also strange to have your anonymity evaporate unexpectedly...

Back to the topic sort of: I remember my first impression being: "Holy cow! Only $500? They will sell millions!" That and "I don't know what I need it for, but I want one."
  • Reply 7 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Wow that was a trip down memory lane! Amazing how many names in that post are not seen now.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I was at a party at a coworker's house a few years back and spent some time talking to this guy about technology. On the way home I said to my wife "I think I know that guy from the Internets." Sure enough, turns out, he was a regular here on AI.

It is strange interacting with people we will never see but it is also strange to have your anonymity evaporate unexpectedly...

That's cool. How did you know it was the same person? Did they use their real name on the board or was their style similar enough to draw a connection?

Quote:

Back to the topic sort of: I remember my first impression being: "Holy cow! Only $500? They will sell millions!"

One article from that 27th day of january in the year 2010 has an Gene Munster expecting 3-4 million in the first 12 months. Lots of good stuff back then.

Quote:

That and "I don't know what I need it for, but I want one."

I had little use for mine until iOS 4 arrived. I could see it would be wildly popular but at the time it didn't fit in between my iPhone and MBP well. With
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

That's cool. How did you know it was the same person? Did they use their real name on the board or was their style similar enough to draw a connection?

No names, but his location was close enough to narrow it down to about 500,000 people. Then his area of expertise matched as did his general tone.

My name isn't really as anonymous as I first thought it would be, so I am pretty sure he figured me out at the same party. Neither of us said anything to each other, though. The etiquette concerning outing someone's supposed anonymous online persona is a grey area...

Quote:

I had little use for mine until iOS 4 arrived. I could see it would be wildly popular but at the time it didn't fit in between my iPhone and MBP well.

Yeah. I didn't actually get one. Money is tight and I am in the same situation--love my iPhone and the MBP. I would enjoy an iPad, but I haven't quite been able to justify it. I told myself a retina display would push me over the edge, I guess we will see in two days!
  • Reply 10 of 21
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

It's an interesting world we live in when we can spend years communicating with people with whom we respect yet never have an idea about what they look like or even their real name.

It is interesting. Here's a true story.

I spent 1994 - 1999 in one of the first ever internet forums known to man (created by fans worldwide - actually, originally by a computer geek in then newly-free Estonia - as a tribute to an incredible jazz genius, John McLaughlin).

One of the handful of people online in that forum when I stumbled on to it - who subsequently went on to become a terrific author - has actually become one of my best friends since!
  • Reply 11 of 21
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Businesses like the iPad even more. You can lock'em down and they cost lest and last longer in battery life. Winning.

My favorite is this:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Just a glitch while people figure out exactly how this device is such an (alleged) game changer.

For many, it'll forever be regarded as nothing more than a Super-Sized iPod Touch... which (of course) it is, for others so much more.

• Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Cupertino, Calif., company has said it is experiencing "unprecedented" iPad adoption in business. CFO Peter Oppenheimer revealed during a quarterly earnings conference call that nearly all Fortune 500 companies are actively using the device.

As soon as Google gets on board it will be "100% of all Fortune 500 companies that are actively using the device."
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Here are predictions for the day after: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...irst_year.html
    Quote:

Here's what's wrong with this bleeding edge technology:

1. UGLY bezel.

2. No multitasking / no OSX.

3. No camera.

4. No GPS.

5. Horrible name. Period.

I'm going to wait for the HP Slate. Office 2010 + Windows 7 is going to rock.

PS: I know this off topic, but this thread wasn't going to get any traction anyway.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbater View Post

I think you will find that Apple becomes the de facto tablet company within the first year. When they design and create products they know what they are doing and you buy one even if you didn't think you wanted one :-)

This guy only has 2 posts total on AI, but he nailed it. Could have saved 250 comments if everyone just payed attention to what he wrote...
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

5. Horrible name. Period.

Uggg. I hope that was unintentional...
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Wow that was a trip down memory lane! Amazing how many names in that post are not seen now.

Needless to say, I'm sure most would go forward with new identity perhaps every few weeks and posting some favourable comment first to disguise themselves and then bang!!!

We all cannot steer far from what we truly are no matter how bad we want it to. Some would mature and move on sure enough but there're just some
  • Reply 17 of 21
    technarchytechnarchy Posts: 296member
    I was not a fan of the iPad when it first dropped. However the app selection and iOS improvements have really given the product a usefulness that far exceeds my initial impressions.

What really won me over was the fact that other tablets were so awful, and still are to this day. Only the very recent Windows 8 tablet looks like it might be a viable contender and it is 3 years late to the party.

I don't think it's wrong to be a won over skeptic.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

I don't think it's wrong to be a won over skeptic.

Absolutely not. However, there was some scornful FUD that went well beyond "it doesn't look right for me" and was tending toward the hysterical. Curiously enough, much of it came from the same people who derided the iPhone as a flash-in-the-pan, arrogant mistake when it came out...
  • Reply 19 of 21
    My first reaction to the iPad was "It has a SIM card but you can't make phone calls with it - now how odd is that?".

1) Would be just lovely as a speaker phone. -> No*

2) Phone - at least 911/112 ability - could save lives, too. -> No*

You can still do most things you want with MacBooks, the iPad will only let you do what Apple decides is best for you*. No wonder the media companies love it as a sales channel för their products.

The MacBooks (Air) will probably soon be iOS'ed, too, and so, they become sophisticated consumer devices you could use as computers - if you were allowed to.

What should computer enthusiasts do now - get a new hobby or get X-code and some pentalobe screwdrivers?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macky the macky View Post

as soon as google gets on board it will be "100% of all fortune 500 companies that are actively using the device."