Reports claim Apple's third-gen tablet to be named 'iPad HD'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 145
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

You seem to have it backwards. Apple is free to coin a new term. But Apple is not welcome to use a well-known term in an incorrect manner.

Doing so would be akin to calling an SD TV a Retina Display.

Or maybe in the AppleSpeak world, any term can have any meaning. If so, I call the current iPad display a Widescreen display.

But ask average Joe anywhere in the world and HD means 'better quality image'. It means what the H and the D stand for - high definition. To 99.9% of the population it has nothing to do with number of lines, nor even aspect ratio.
  • Reply 82 of 145
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Correct.

Show us the proof that you can't say a display has 1920x1080 resolution if it has more than that. Show us the proof that high definition has no baring on the definition being high, but is defined solely by a measure of the aspect ratio.
  • Reply 83 of 145
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They need to call it the iPad 2S so then I can start rolling my eyes at the suggestion of the 2013 iPad being called: iPad 3. My ocular oblique muscles haven't been getting the work out they need.

Quote:

Where is HD used in that manner?

HD video is defined as being such if it is greater than SD quality by ANY amount. 721x481 is greater than SD quality.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooman625 View Post

ohhh so just like how the iphone goes 3g>3gs and 4>4s, this will go 2>2 HD and then 3>3HD.

Quote:

That's like saying the iPhone 3GS was speedier than the iPhone 3 but the iPhone 4 wasn't speedier than the iPhone 3GS because it didn't contain an 'S' at the end of the name.

I don't like half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!

Quote:

Show us the proof that high definition has no baring on the definition being high, but is defined solely by a measure of the aspect ratio.

I'll save him the time: there is none; he's wrong. I remember writing out a post proving that 4:3, 3:2, and other common "non-widescreen" resolutions and ratios of very large size were widely considered HD, but I don't remember if I posted it or not.
  • Reply 84 of 145
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    With a new retina display they can call it the eyePad and solve the Chinese name problem, too.
  • Reply 85 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'll save him the time: there is none; he's wrong. I remember writing out a post proving that 4:3, 3:2, and other common "non-widescreen" resolutions and ratios of very large size were widely considered HD, but I don't remember if I posted it or not.

I wonder what the aspect ratio and resolution of HD Radio is?
  • Reply 86 of 145
    Quote:

I wonder what the aspect ratio and resolution of HD Radio is?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Link

The ratio of power of the analog signal to the digital signal is standardized at 100:1

Ah, crap. Widescreen. Guess he was right.
  • Reply 87 of 145
    im not dissapointed with the name I actually like it for some reason. Plus you know when the real ipad3 comes out its going to have an outer shell redesign to stand out from the ipad 2..
  • Reply 88 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xavier83 View Post

Plus you know when the real ipad3 comes out its going to have an outer shell redesign to stand out from the ipad 2..

WHATEVER COMES OUT NEXT IS THE "REAL IPAD 3".

lowercaseletters
  • Reply 89 of 145
    Quote:

Plus you know when the real ipad3 comes out its going to have an outer shell redesign to stand out from the ipad 2..

And so it begins....
  • Reply 90 of 145
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

I say it will be called iPad 3

I say it will be called Money in the Bank. Or maybe What Competition?

Let's face it, no matter want they call it, the thing will sell
  • Reply 91 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Sounds like fragmentation.

• Reply 92 of 145
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    If this is indeed fact and not just speculation...

Using "HD" next to anything these days is way too cliche and down-right tacky. I guess this decision was decided on after Steve passed. Just doesn't sound like Apple branding so i'm going to call speculation on this one.

I'd rather they call it iPad 2S, since most of the other features (or form-factor) has remained mostly unchanged.
  • Reply 93 of 145
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    iPad Classic Gold Eddie Bauer Edition
  • Reply 94 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JerkyTruck View Post

Quadrupling the number of pixels does not sound like an S upgrade to me. If it was an S-type upgrade I suspect they would have used S. But I don't think they are using HD either. My money is on "Quad Pro".

i sooo wish i could take that bet...i'd be a very rich man.
  • Reply 95 of 145
    Quote:

They need to call it the iPad 2S so then I can start rolling my eyes at the suggestion of the 2013 iPad being called: iPad 3.

No in 2013 it will be the iPad 3s and iPad 4.

Cause this is the iPad 2s and in the fall the real iPad 3 is coming out

Don't you read Digitimes
  • Reply 96 of 145
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

i sooo wish i could take that bet...i'd be a very rich man.

My money is on iPad RD3 HDxi. (The xi is there just to appeal to the car 90's crowd)
  • Reply 97 of 145
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dsd View Post

With a new retina display they can call it the eyePad and solve the Chinese name problem, too.

Where I live it would be the wye aye Pad
  • Reply 98 of 145
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

My money is on iPad RD3 HDxi. (The xi is there just to appeal to the car 90's crowd)

Free pair of furry dice with every one
  • Reply 99 of 145
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

im not dissapointed with the name I actually like it for some reason. Plus you know when the real ipad3 comes out its going to have an outer shell redesign to stand out from the ipad 2..

I wish I could carry on the witty part of this conversation.

I don't think the generational numbering really matters, there are only so many products that still are numbered consecutively. Apple isn't above using the same look a couple years in a row. If it's what is rumored, it would be a break to have such a significant upgrade in the same look, but I'm fine with that.

Apple's computer designs tend to stick around for three to five years, and that's not very controversial.
  • Reply 100 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

2012- iPad HD

2013- iPad HD 2

2014- iPad 4k

2015- iPad 4k2

Pretty soon they'll sound like Canon cameras.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

iPad Quadra

iPad Performa

iPad Pro Duo

iPad Pro Serve

I hope neither one of you will ever work for Apple. Because those all (in the immortal words of SJ) "are SHIT"!

Traditionally, Apple has only changed the nomenclature if the device has gone through a radical redesign. Look at the iPhone. Gen 2 and 3 were both named iPhone 3G, and then they added the "S". I'm even surprised Apple decided to add monikers next to the names of their products at all. The iMac has always been just the iMac. The Macbook line has had monikers but they were always simple. Air, Pro.

Personally, I thought it was a mistake to use a moniker at all. The back of the phones and iPad doesn't have them, why bother. Just unnecessary. If I had to choose, and based on what we know...i'd put my money on:

iPad 2S

iPad