Reports claim Apple's third-gen tablet to be named 'iPad HD'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 145
    Historically, Apple never liked to call any product just a "3". Because the Apple III was a big failure
  • Reply 102 of 145
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I hope neither one of you will ever work for Apple. Because those all (in the immortal words of SJ) "are SHIT"!

Of course those names are shit. That was the joke.
  • Reply 103 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

I really hope not...then what will the iPad fourth generation be called?

The iPad Quad, of course.
  • Reply 104 of 145
    They should have called it the iPad 2x, because it's similar to the iPad 2 but with twice the linear resolution. Also, it would avoid confusion with the apps labeled HD.

And really, 'x' is the coolest letter in the alphabet.
  • Reply 105 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

Historically, Apple never liked to call any product just a "3". Because the Apple III was a big failure

I remember. So it was amusing to me to see the iPhone 3 and the 3GS ever come into being.
  • Reply 106 of 145
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    iPhone 3G is not the third model of the iPhone, but named after the 3G radio, otherwise it would have been called iPhone 2. The iPhone 3GS is the third iPhone, but the "s" revision of the 3G iPhone, the 3 in the name has nothing to do with the sequence.

So in the iPhone/iPad Universe only the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4 are truly counting product versions, so it's a bit premature to talk about a pattern here.

An iPad HD would be fitting because for the first time HD video can be displayed at full resolution withou cropping or scaling, and it follows the naming of the iPhone 3G: named after a distinguishing new feature, just like MacBook Pro titanium, unibody, etc.

And AI still can't do math: the resolution quadrupled, not doubled, should the rumored claims be true.

How often will you guys regurgitate the same mathematical garbage?
  • Reply 107 of 145
    lmgslmgs Posts: 63member
    It's got to be the MaxiPad..
  • Reply 108 of 145
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

... also, what will they do next year if they call this new (standard) resolution "HD"?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

I really hope not...then what will the iPad fourth generation be called?

My god, you are right! And what are they going to call next year's iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPod Touch, iPad nano...

You both seem to be forgetting that the iPhone is the only Apple device other than the iPad that is numbered. Numbering devices is, in fact, the exception for Apple, not the rule.

And actually, if this rumor is true, I take it as further evidence that there will be two versions of the iPad going forward, and the lower-end version will not simply be the previous year's model at a lower price. It will be a model in it's own right. Because in that scenario, the sequential numbering scheme simply doesn't work, and you pretty much have to have something like the MacBook/MacBook Pro/MacBook Air "family" of devices.

This is one thing that bugged me about my theory that Apple would continue selling the iPad 2 after the iPad 3 is released as a temporary measure and then later replace the iPad 2 with a lower-end iPad. I has assumed the next iPad would be the "3", but didn't see how that naming convention would work in my theory. This new rumor fits quite nicely.
  • Reply 109 of 145
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

And AI still can't do math: the resolution quadrupled, not doubled, should the rumored claims be true.

How often will you guys regurgitate the same mathematical garbage?

How often will YOU?! They are NOT WRONG. Please stop bringing this up.

Resolution doubled. The number of pixels quadrupled. These are correct sentences.
  • Reply 110 of 145
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How often will YOU?! They are NOT WRONG. Please stop bringing this up.

Resolution doubled. The number of pixels quadrupled. These are correct sentences.

It's the only thing he posts and get corrected each time and yet still chooses to remain ignorant. One AI author even detailed that is was 4x the pixel count but 2x the resolution in an article a few days ago in what I suspect was a way to get this across to those who can't be bothered to understand basic maths.
  • Reply 111 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wonder what the aspect ratio and resolution of HD Radio is?

And speaking of using the "HD" label...if I have HD contacts will I be able to see the individual pixels of the Retina Display?
  • Reply 112 of 145
    And I just saw the article about the 4G LTE supposedly being confirmed for the iPad. If, in fact, the next iPad has this, calling it an iPad 3 would be very, very confusing. There was a study not too long ago concluding that roughly 1/3 of iPhone 4 owners thought they had a 4G phone.

This alone would be reason enough to not call it an IPad 3!
  • Reply 113 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

A whole year and they can't come up with a new model? S and now HD? Sounds like fragmentation.

smells like teen spirit

You mean it smells like territorial pissings! The ironic thing is that he calls himself realitycheck.
  • Reply 114 of 145
    From what I can tell penchanted has the oldest prediction it will be called iPad HD dating back to 20-JAN-2011.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

And I just saw the article about the 4G LTE supposedly being confirmed for the iPad. If, in fact, the next iPad has this, calling it an iPad 3 would be very, very confusing. There was a study not too long ago concluding that roughly 1/3 of iPhone 4 owners thought they had a 4G phone.

This alone would be reason enough to not call it an IPad 3!

Maybe but I'm think Apple will use LTE over 4G since they already had an iPhone 4 and 4S.
  • Reply 115 of 145
    So will the next AppleTV be called AppleTV HD to follow inline with the iPad. It will support 1080p, I'm sure.

What about the next MBPs? HD is highly marketable so why no exploit the crap out of it for the masses that think it inherently means something in and of itself.
  • Reply 116 of 145
    shadowxprshadowxpr Posts: 162member
    I'm expecting A6 quadcore ales no sense to use A5 with those graphics and for better apps being able to run on iPad. More feature rich Photoshop touh, Microsoft office, auto cad flu, etc...

Dnt care about the name really...
  • Reply 117 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

I'm expecting A6 quadcore ales no sense to use A5 with those graphics and for better apps being able to run on iPad. More feature rich Photoshop touh, Microsoft office, auto cad flu, etc...

Why do you think raising the number from 5 to 6 indicates that they've added 2 CPU cores? Why would you want 4 cores if it's slower and uses more power than a 2 core setup like in Qualcomm's Krait? Shouldn't the goal be to get more performance with less power drain to make the experience better for the user?
  • Reply 118 of 145
    http://ipadhd.com/

LOL

So no... this is not likely.
  • Reply 119 of 145
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    You bleeped me at the bar at the Pierre for this nonsense? Really, people? Wake me when those idiots stop calling the damned things "i" anything at all, and not before.

Until then, if you ever again interrupt me while I'm weeping over love's labor lost and holding an ice cube bathed in Pernod to my black eye, you're going to find yourself wondering how you got four tonsils.
  • Reply 120 of 145
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

I'm expecting greased slave boys to rub unsalted butter on all six of my nipples, but until then, will continue to work on my grammar, spelling, and punctuation.