Apple expects 4G LTE iPad to boost mobile video watching, Reuters says

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Yet another report states that Apple's third-generation iPad will offer high-speed 4G LTE connectivity, as the company looks to offer high quality video to users on the go.

Citing a source familiar with Apple's next iPad, Reuters was the latest to report on Tuesday that the third-generation tablet will be capable of operating on 4G long-term evolution networks from carriers AT&T and Verizon. The 4G-capable iPad will offer speeds up to 10 times faster than the current 3G models.

The report by authors Poornima Gupta and Sinead Carew suggests Apple's primary intention in offering 4G LTE is to "tempt more U.S. customers to pay extra to watch high-quality video on the go." It also said that the addition of 4G could "go a long way toward banishing the sometimes shaky video quality of older devices."

While the report focused on video playback, it did not offer any indication that Apple plans to modify or expand its own offerings on iTunes. One recent separate report from last week indicated that Apple is "pushing ahead" with plans to release a streaming TV service, but that is not expected to become available until later this year.

Apple's interest in online video is also believed to be tied to the company's rumored plans to build a full-fledged television set. Numerous reports have indicated that Apple is at work on such a device, including one in January that said famed Apple designer Jonathan Ive has a 50-inch prototype set in his California design studio.

The quality of video on the go could be a greater factor with the next-generation iPad, as it is expected to feature a high-resolution Retina Display. A pair of recent rumors have even suggested that Apple will name its next tablet the "iPad HD," for high-definition.

The third-generation iPad is expected to have a screen resolution of 2,048-by-1,536 pixels, which would be a pixel density double that of the current iPad 2. It's also a resolution greater than a 1080p high-definition television set.

Beyond the iPad, video is also expected to play a part in this week's media briefing in the form of an updated Apple TV. Recent stock-outs of the current model, released in late 2010, strongly suggest that Apple plans to update the product with a new model this week.

Apple's media event will be held Wednesday, March 7 at 10 a.m. at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, Calif. AppleInsider will have full, live coverage.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    N~o. Re~ally. Faster load times will let people watch more content in a smaller amount of time?

Why do these people get paid, again? I don't even want to get hired by them; I'd rather not feel constantly sick about how I earn my money.
  • Reply 2 of 60
    Apple and Reuters may think people will watch HD movies over LTE.

The prices for data that AT&T, Verizon etc. charge will however kill that idea.

HD screen means more data!
  • Reply 3 of 60
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The report by authors Poornima Gupta and Sinead Carew suggests Apple's primary intention in offering 4G LTE is to "tempt more U.S. customers to pay extra to watch high-quality video on the go."

I have very little use for video while on the go unless it is a short news clip which I don't expect to pay for. Paid video content I would rather watch at home in the comfort of my living room.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    skyzlmtskyzlmt Posts: 46member
    Video Shmideo...

I want 4g just so I can do basic tasks. In my Philadelphia suburb AT&T is so awful, and saturated... doing simple tasks are painstakingly slow. Actually, everyone is bailing to Android
  • Reply 5 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skyzlmt View Post

In my Philadelphia suburb AT&T is so awful, and saturated... doing simple tasks are painstakingly slow. Actually, everyone is bailing to Android

How does it make any sense to move to a different operating system when the network is the problem?
  • Reply 6 of 60
    yuniverseyuniverse Posts: 115member
    I'm sincerely curious as to how people might use their iPad HD(3)'s LTE capability. The only thing that really would benefit would be the streaming video, but with the data prices and limits as it is, I wouldn't watch any movies on it when it's not on wifi. Does LTE economically make sense on iPad?
  • Reply 7 of 60
    yuniverseyuniverse Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How does it make any sense to move to a different operating system when the network is the problem?

Good point LOL. He/she should've said everyone is bailing to Verizon.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

Does LTE economically make sense on iPad?

For businesses, sure. For car trips, sure.

I'm so freaking sick of Verizon's ads, though. And AT&T's too, I guess.

"With these new 4G LTE tablets from Verizon?"

"And with AT&T 4G LTE?"

SHUT UP YOU IDIOTS. YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO ACTUALLY PITCH A SERVICE. I want to line my fingertips up vertically along their faces and just rip the skin outward. It INFURIATES me the way those commercials are written.

I can't tell if it's the pretentiousness, the lack of actual information, the lack of POINT, or all of the above.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    therbotherbo Posts: 70member
    I'm pretty sure the current 7Mbps (I think) for the iPad 2 is already enough to stream HD video.

I'm hoping for 21Mbps HSPA+
  • Reply 10 of 60
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Portable video will become three times more compelling when it's in 3D.

There is the left-eye stream, the right-eye stream, and the fused 3D composite that happens inside your brain as a sort of perceptual detonation.

"Compelling" might not be the right word. Maybe "magnetic" or "gravitational" would be better. Or "irresistible."

But the new screen will be a good warm-up for the advent of deep video. Actually a necessary predecessor, because edge sharpness will fall off, but that will be compensated for by depth.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Therbo View Post

I'm pretty sure the current 7Mbps (I think) for the iPad 2 is already enough to stream HD video.

I'm hoping for 21Mbps HSPA+

The problem with looking at theoretical limits of a technology is that it involves devoting more spectrum than realistically possible to hit that limit. It is easier for 100 LTE devices to be using 15Mbps of data at the same tower than HSPA+ because it's more spectrally efficient.

However, I think the comment about HD video is rather silly, because the only reliable source for that content is iTunes, and it would only take two high quality 720p movies would blow through a 5GB cap which costs $50. At that kind of pricing, who would even bother?
  • Reply 12 of 60
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    This is going to be interesting considering I can barely listen to internet radio without AT&T throttling my connection let alone watch video.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    Quote:

For businesses, sure. For car trips, sure.

I'm so freaking sick of Verizon's ads, though. And AT&T's too, I guess.

"With these new 4G LTE tablets from Verizon?"

"And with AT&T 4G LTE?"

SHUT UP YOU IDIOTS. YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO ACTUALLY PITCH A SERVICE. I want to line my fingertips up vertically along their faces and just rip the skin outward. It INFURIATES me the way those commercials are written.

I can't tell if it's the pretentiousness, the lack of actual information, the lack of POINT, or all of the above.

Makes me glad I don't have TV. Thanks.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The third-generation iPad is expected to have a screen resolution of 2,048-by-1,536 pixels, which would be a pixel density double that of the current iPad 2.

You mean four times the density (twice the resolution in each direction).
  • Reply 15 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

?it would only take two high quality 720p movies would blow through a 5GB cap which costs $50. At that kind of pricing, who would even bother?

Or a single iTunes HD movie and a single iTunes SD movie.

And when Apple brings 1080p content to the iTunes store, you won't be able to even download half of one movie onto your iPad designed for super high-def stuff without wasting your $50.

And that's what makes me want to tear down Congress and get some people up there who can't be bought.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NormM View Post

You mean four times the density (twice the resolution in each direction).

• Reply 16 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

The problem with looking at theoretical limits of a technology is that it involves devoting more spectrum than realistically possible to hit that limit. It is easier for 100 LTE devices to be using 15Mbps of data at the same tower than HSPA+ because it's more spectrally efficient.

However, I think the comment about HD video is rather silly, because the only reliable source for that content is iTunes, and it would only take two high quality 720p movies would blow through a 5GB cap which costs $50. At that kind of pricing, who would even bother?

And this totally realistic observation illustrates why the theatrical-movie model is going to be marginalized to the living room, and the quick-visual-fix model, like on YouTube, is where we're headed. Five minutes is the new half-hour or even hour. But this won't be obvious until the medium is compelling. The new screen might do it for little art movies, but I think it's going to take 3D to make it really obvious.

My last post on this subject. It had to be said.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Apple's desires and the carriers are diametrically opposed. Apple would love for people to use the iPad to constantly be connected and watch videos and other data uses. While the carriers want you to pay a lot for data and use as little as possible. Most people would choose the $30 for 3GB option with $10 per GB over that. That is great for the carriers and not so great for the consumer. Even with moderate use you could easily spend $100 a month for data.

The pieces won't be in place for a few years, but one possibility for Apple is to act as an MVNO for data. Dish has some spectrum they are sitting on and Clearwire also has a ton of spectrum. Apple have a number of possibilities for buying data as an LTE MVNO. They would have to be competitive with carrier data pricing, but I think Apple wouldn't mind low margins for data plans to sell more iPads. Similar to iTunes pricing with low margins to sell more hardware. Apple could also really shake things up by not requiring any contracts and simply selling data a la carte from the iTunes store. For example 1GB for $7 3GB for $20 5GB for $30 10GB for $50

I don't think Apple would ever want to become a full fledged carrier with the low margins and headaches that would go along with that. But I can see them partnering with some companies to build out a data only model for iPads, iPod touches, possibly Mac computers, and even people with iPhones who could choose to completely bypass the carrier completely. After all there are good alternatives to carrier text messaging and also VoIP calling already in place now. If you had a fast, steady, and reliable LTE data connection why would you need a traditional phone contract or carrier at all?

Typical carrier plans for the iPhone range between around $80 to $130 or more depending on options. And for $80 you really don't get too many voice, texts, or data except on Sprint. iMessage, google Voice, Whatsapp and several more options could easily replace traditional texts. Google Voice, or many VoIP apps like SessionTalk or even magicjack could replace phone calls. Imagine if Apple offered 10GB of LTE data with no expiration date for $50 or even $100. If you watched your usage and limited streaming videos, you could make 10GB last several months. No more monthly bills of $100 to use your iPhone. Now that really would be revolutionary and would turn the whole industry upside down.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Because people are dumb
  • Reply 19 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Portable video will become three times more compelling when it's in 3D.

There is the left-eye stream, the right-eye stream, and the fused 3D composite that happens inside your brain as a sort of perceptual detonation.

"Compelling" might not be the right word. Maybe "magnetic" or "gravitational" would be better. Or "irresistible."

But the new screen will be a good warm-up for the advent of deep video. Actually a necessary predecessor, because edge sharpness will fall off, but that will be compensated for by depth.

I can't tell if you are being serious here, but if you are, you're totally dreaming here.

3D TV's are already on the wane, the number of movies coming out in 3D similarly so. The industry has been pushing 3D TV sets and 3D movies for years now with almost no uptake at all. No one wants it, just as no one wanted it in the early 70's and no one wanted it in the late 50's. 3D is the ultimate boondoggle.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

And this totally realistic observation illustrates why the theatrical-movie model is going to be marginalized to the living room, and the quick-visual-fix model, like on YouTube, is where we're headed. Five minutes is the new half-hour or even hour. But this won't be obvious until the medium is compelling. The new screen might do it for little art movies, but I think it's going to take 3D to make it really obvious.

My last post on this subject. It had to be said.

Whew! Thank god somebody said it! I know we were all looking around wondering to ourselves 'when will somebody say what we've all been thinking when we close our eyes at night?'

You've done us all a service good sir.